Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

06 model suspension faults
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
sps

I took delivery of a replacement Discovery 3 in late November 05 after many months of suspension faults that could not be rectified by my dealer. Unfortunatly my replacement Discovery has started giving suspension error messages and the suspension has gone very hard. It is an 06 model which I hoped would be free from the problems that I had experienced with my original Discovery, but this does seem to be the case. I called into the dealer yesterday so they could log the fault codes on the test book and report back to Landrover. The service manager is very helpful and could not be more apologetic. He told me that he had ordered a new compressor to be sent from Landrover today and fitted tomorrow. The dealer service cannot be faulted, but I do feel that Landrover have still got problems with the air suspension which will continue to appear on Discoverys that have had a new compressor fitted. When I rejected my first Discovery it was because I had lost all confidence after six months of problems in which time I was on the third compressor along with a new front height sensor and a new compressor control valve and still the suspension failed, it would seem that I may now be faced with the same catalogue of problems.It would appear that you are more likely to have problems with the suspension if you regularly go up and down on the height settings as I do most days when loading and unloading three young children and elderly relatives, it seems this may put the system under extra stress which would not happen if the Discovery is kept at normal height all the time. I have two questions for other owners of 06 model Discoverys, has anybody had suspention problems on this model year and do you alter the height regulary. I still believe that the Discovery 3 is the best 4 x 4 on the road and after owning five different Landrovers over the years I am not going to be put off but I just wish that reliability issues could be dealt with effectively.

Post #3725012th Jan 2006 10:23 pm
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

My brand new RRS was transported back to the dealer yesterday because of a suspension failure. The red warning light and several error messages was followed by rock hard suspension and a very uncomfortable ride. The dealer tells me it was the rear height sensor had gone wrong so the system was receiving incorrect messages causing the height to be adjusted to full offroad height even though the vehicle was travelling at 60mph Shocked I am told the dealer will get delivery of a replacement sensor tomorrow and deliver my car back for the weekend. In the meantime I have the pleasure of driving a Ford Focus....
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #3726313th Jan 2006 12:25 am
gasdoc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I have an 06 model discovery 3. I regularly lower the suspension - virtualy every time I get out, and quite often lock down in car parks. I have covered around 9000 miles since last April and so far - fingers crossed I have had no faults at all. I have varied waiting for the system check bong before starting and not, it makes no difference.

Only thing is, in Cornwall it very rarely falls below freezing - which may be relevant for some system faults.

Hope you get fixed up properly because without the hasstle of faults, ownership is a dream.

Paul

Post #3728213th Jan 2006 9:14 am
CFB

United Kingdom 

Owned an 06 model D3 since early December, I too raise and lower daily to aid access etc. and so far (touch wood) have had no problem at all. It gets pretty cold here (-6 in Dec) and I have off-roaded a bit too so the car has been put through it's paces. Looks like you are just damn unlucky Sad
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #3728413th Jan 2006 9:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pelyma

England 

I don't think the raising lowering bit has anything to do with it, compressors yes but straight suspension faults no. Mine is an 05 with 22K the compressor failed at 10K been fine since. As I'm a midget it is lowered every time I get out, it gets offroaded most weeks so regularly goes access to off road. My fault has locked the suspension at normal height.

As far as the temp is concerned freezing temperatures seem to cause a transmission fault that clears after a restart but never suspension ones. A trick I find to avoid the focus problem is to tell them you are going off road!
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #3728613th Jan 2006 10:41 am
aitchy

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

i would agree, i use the access level at least twice a day on my nov 06 model with 8,000 miles on the clock and i leave it locked down overnight on the driveway. I also tend to drive off and let it rise to normal height in the morning and touch wood i have only had 1 warning which a turn off and re start cleared. there did not seem to be a fault just a suspension warning, it does appear you are suffering some bad luck. i hope it gets sorted and then you can regain confidence. My levels are fully restored and i have no fear of covering large distances regardless of time of day or weather conditions. my rejected D3 gave me no such confidence every time i got in it!
 TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue and still smiling  
Post #3729513th Jan 2006 11:30 am
lr1

United Kingdom 

Raising and lowering the suspension on a regular daily basis should not affect the car at all or bring about premature suspension/compressor failure. I spoke to the staff at my free off road landrover experience day and while one car had a compressor replaced (havent we all) the other was fine. I imagine the cars used in the off road experience have the suspension height adjusted much more that any normal owner.

David

Post #3730413th Jan 2006 1:06 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

lr1 wrote:
Raising and lowering the suspension on a regular daily basis should not affect the car at all or bring about premature suspension/compressor failure. I spoke to the staff at my free off road landrover experience day and while one car had a compressor replaced (havent we all) the other was fine. I imagine the cars used in the off road experience have the suspension height adjusted much more that any normal owner.

David

Quote:
(havent we all)

Nope Wink Not me yet. [touches wood quickly]

Post #3730513th Jan 2006 1:20 pm
Discovery343

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Out on a club trip in the bush on Sunday and the suspension fault occurred. This seems to be a recurring problem with my vehicle which my service agent is trying to solve. Problem for me is that the sales volume here is small and I am the guinea pig for most problems. I'll keep you posted.
 05 Discovery 3 SE TDV6 Chawton White with roof rails, driving lights, steel side protection rails. Rego: DISCO3  
Post #3737613th Jan 2006 8:30 pm
Discovery343

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Is there any connection between the suspension fault and fuel consumption. Mine goes crazy - 19 litres to 100kms around town, normally 13 litres to 100kms!
 05 Discovery 3 SE TDV6 Chawton White with roof rails, driving lights, steel side protection rails. Rego: DISCO3  
Post #3737813th Jan 2006 8:39 pm
orangutan

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
LR DO have a suspension issue!

See the other thread on the Technical section - the air suspension does seem to be a weakness although it is hard to judge the true extent from a forum alone. I have had a disco for 4 weeks, the last week of which (and still counting) it has been back at the dealer (who are great by the way - so far). They thoughts they had fixed it by fitting 2 mew sensors and updating some software but 2 miles up the road the same fault occurred and it collapsed again. Thus I dropped it straight back and picked up my lovely little focus!

I have just written to the GM of the dealership witht he catalog of error messages and also the intermittent cruise control failure and advised him politely that they have 1 more week to eradicate the issue entirely and permanently. Failing that it is either a swap for same or better or a refund of all monies paid. In the meantime I have also requested they privide a like for like courtesy car. LR customer service are bl00dy useless having had 3 calls to upgrade the focus and seemingly done nothing.

Its a shame as the car is wonderful when working and I cannot think of what I would want as a replacement if I have to reject it. I am however, absolutely determined to follow the path above even if it means using some business contacts to publicise the issues (my biggest customer is SKY TV:-))

Post #3749515th Jan 2006 12:13 am
SN

Re: 06 model suspension faults

Discovery343 wrote:
Is there any connection between the suspension fault and fuel consumption. Mine goes crazy - 19 litres to 100kms around town, normally 13 litres to 100kms!
Can you do a conversion to 'proper' fuel consumption - I can only do MPG, dunno about anyone else? Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #3763015th Jan 2006 11:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Use this http://www.onlineconversion.com/fuel_consumption.htm
 The End  
Post #3763315th Jan 2006 11:19 pm
espri

Austria 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

qzdcg8 wrote:
Can you do a conversion to 'proper' fuel consumption - ?

With mental arithmetic or a calculator (PC or hand), the formula
270 / value
converts from one format to the other.

19 is a bit of a bleeder to divide by but using 20 you can see that the consumption is not much better than 13.5 MPG (the calculator says 14.2 - 14.9 on the official calculator; the formula is an approximation) - I hope my D3 will do better Shocked

Eric

Post #3765816th Jan 2006 9:49 am
SN

espri wrote:
qzdcg8 wrote:
Can you do a conversion to 'proper' fuel consumption - ?

With mental arithmetic or a calculator (PC or hand), the formula
270 / value
converts from one format to the other.

19 is a bit of a bleeder to divide by but using 20 you can see that the consumption is not much better than 13.5 MPG (the calculator says 14.2 - 14.9 on the official calculator; the formula is an approximation) - I hope my D3 will do better Shocked

Eric
Using the link, the exact formula is ( 282.5 / value ) to convert from one to the other! So 19 is 14.8MPG and 13 is 21.7MPG Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #3767916th Jan 2006 1:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >