1000 miles in and my thoughts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Russell

United Kingdom 
1000 miles in and my thoughts

1000 miles in

So 1000 miles in and my views so far.
Fuel economy is better than expected and has already been posted in another thread but I expect to be able to achieve 34 without issue once run in.
Seats are really comfortable once you get them set up as there is too many adjustments to make it a quick option. Even sat in the back for one journey and had no real issues but the seats are lower than the D4
Steering wheel is very thin and takes some getting used to but once you do it is actually very nice, controls on it are good but the opposite way round to some on the D4 which takes a bit of getting used to. Heated wheel seems to heat up much quicker than the D4. Sills not sure on the lane keep assist, it is a good idea but I think it makes the steering feel heavier when it is switched on.
Parking sensors cameras and 360 view are all very good and make for all round vision when parking or moving through tight spots a lot easier. Cameras are much better quality than the MY15 D4 and allow for a very clear view. Although they turn of above about 15 miles per hour which I do not like. I also think I may have a fault with one of the rear parking sensors and occasionally it makes a huge racket when reversing into the garage but it’s going back in to be checked on so we will see.
Wipers, fronts now have three washer jets which gives good coverage of front screen and allows for good cleaning. Rear has built in washer and also a washer for the camera as well which so far seems good. I also like the two stage rear wipe which I have found to be very good and a lot better than the wiper continually going in light rain as per the D4.
LED lights are very good and the HBA seems to work very well.
Dash, the centre panel with the info, quick sat nav instructions etc is very good with lots of detail available if you go through it all and even a lot of options available whilst on the move.
Sat nav seems very good in comparison to the D4. Do not like the fact you cannot use voice prompts for the sat nav whilst on the move. The option to plan routes from the car, via phone or via a computer is very handy. It is also neat that you can set it up to notify people of your eta and delays if they occur. What is not as neat is the fact you have to add the numbers manually and cannot do them from the phone book which is loaded into the car when you link a phone. I also like the sat view if you install a sim card this can make things easier when trying to find somewhere.
Boot collects a lot more crap than the D4, in fact it gets bloody filthy very quickly, however the gesture opening works a treat once you master the kick and to be honest I cannot see any reason to use the switch on the tailgate ever again, you can even close the boot via the gesture kick.
The apps and other info on the screen are good, but so far I have only been able to get CNN and another news channel and would like the option to get BBC news. This may well be there when I have worked out how. I like the fact you can also personalize a screen with your favorites.
Stereo is excellent with good sound quality from the Meridian system and the DAB radio actually works where it was very poor in this area in the D4
Down sides or poor design. 2nd row head rest obscures the view out the back more than the D4. Interior mirror is rim less which so far I do not like and cannot get used to. Mats are pants on the driver’s side with what appears to be a short mat that stops in line with the front of the pedals.
Loading CD’s into the on board HD seems to take an age. Have not tried music or things like that on a stick yet , will do ASAP.
Other things I am not so keen on is the material for the tow eye covers, this seems very thin and light weight, am not sure it will hold up to much especially off road.
The under wing shielding has also changed from a hard plastic o a material which I can only describe as a horse hair matting, I guess it is used for weight saving and also for deadening noise but it means there is nothing to screw into for series mud flaps and the factory mud flaps screw into the side of the bumper and will leave holes which are on view if they are removed, not good design I believe.

One other point, the comments from everyone so far have been very positive and I have had loads of people stop and asked about the car each and every time I park up anywhere
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #179554123rd Mar 2017 11:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Audi use the same arch liner material and as you say I reckon its for noise, terrible to work with when its wet and bloody heavy!

Post #179554423rd Mar 2017 11:58 pm
defector

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Dont know how dense or loose the under arch matt is but could it be useful for water spray suppression?

Post #179555324th Mar 2017 12:35 am
neilk

England 

Russell - Copying music off a USB stick works really quickly, in fact so quickly I didn't think it had worked as it took forever to write to the stick. No feedback or progress bar on the copying process itself and the drive is also available as a library so I can take a while to figure out if it has copied and if you are using a local copy or the stick itself.

Post #179557424th Mar 2017 10:31 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #179561424th Mar 2017 12:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lespes

Guernsey 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Quote:
One other point, the comments from everyone so far have been very positive and I have had loads of people stop and asked about the car each and every time I park up anywhere

Like any newborn, people always come up and have a look, though never going to come out with "gosh its ugly one" Exclamation Very Happy

Good update news though, sounds like you getting to grips with it. Enjoy Thumbs Up
 D4 Landmark MY16 Santorini Black THE LAST
D4 HSE MY12 Marmais Teal: Gone. Missed a lot!
Freelander 2 SD HSE MY11 Silver:Thankfully gone.
D4 HSE MY11 Silver: Gone missed !
Range Rover Sport MY06 HSE Buck Blue: Gone missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Facelift MY Red Gone Missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Cobalt Blue: Gone Missed!
Discovery D1 Auto Oxford Blue Not missed at all!
Discovery D1 Avalon Blue First LR! missed!

Now demoted to a VW 

Post #179563524th Mar 2017 12:54 pm
JackNorris

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Another interesting review! Thanks Russell Smile
 MY2023 Discovery 5 R-Dynamic 3.0
MY2020 Discovery 5 Landmark 3.0 - SOLD
MY2005 Discovery 3 V8 4.4 HSE - SOLD
MY2019 Discovery 5 SE 3.0 - LR Replaced !
MY2005 Discovery 3 S 2.7 - SOLD
MY2016 Discovery 4 Graphite - SOLD
MY2015 Discovery 4 SE Tech - SOLD 

Post #179565824th Mar 2017 1:53 pm
Nikki

Australia 
Re: 1000 miles in and my thoughts

[quote="Russell"]1000 miles in

Hi Russel, I see you have had alot of LR cars, how about a post with comments on them all?
(BTW what is your occupation to give you such a generpous budget?)

Post #179581924th Mar 2017 11:17 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

A few pictures

D4 camera club 

Post #179615626th Mar 2017 1:03 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 
Re: 1000 miles in and my thoughts

[quote="Nikki"]
Russell wrote:
1000 miles in

Hi Russel, I see you have had alot of LR cars, how about a post with comments on them all?
(BTW what is your occupation to give you such a generpous budget?)

As for other LR's
All have been great cars but each one has a marked step on improvements all round. I thought the jump from 6 to 8 speed box in the D4 was the biggest jump but it clearly was at the time but not any more. The jump from D4 to D5 is massive.
As for jobs I have two and like many others on this forum I work hard and have a considerate wife, as such get to change my car as I want mind you so does she.
D4 camera club 

Post #179615726th Mar 2017 1:06 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I do like that colour. Thumbs Up I think its a shape that can wear a strong colour well, however, it defiantly does seem to 'shrink' the car to a DS. Confused
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #179617626th Mar 2017 2:23 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Put the two next to each other and you can see the difference.
I will post a picture in a while of mine next to a D3
D4 camera club 

Post #179617826th Mar 2017 2:37 pm
ruben
D3 Decade 

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Nice SUV, looks expensive and luxurious, I think that LR will gradually finish to get what it seems takes time looking .... as for the color I will keep my opinion Whistle
...... you enjoy it Thumbs Up
 lost in translation!  
Post #179619226th Mar 2017 3:44 pm
SafariDave

United States 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Great review Russell.
LR is on a path to modernizing what a 4x4 is and you can't stop progress. For the majority of people this will be the 4x4 that makes sense since very few people will be rock crawling with it. I imagine the Defender will be the more utilitarian of the group once it comes out. Strange is that now that LR has rounded the lines of the Disco, Ford will be turning out a boxy Bronco.

Dave
 D3 2005 V8 SE Bonatti Grey "The Rhino" (our NYC D3)
De-tangoed Headlights, D4 2016 Style Black Pack Grille, D4 19" Wheels/ Bridgestone Alenza
D3 2005 V8 SE Bonatti Grey, D4 2016 Style Black Pack Grille (our LA D3)
D2 1999 V8 SD7 Chawton White (our Caribbean Beach truck) 

Post #179619926th Mar 2017 4:10 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Here you go D3/D5 next to each other. Mine was in access mode, I don't think the D3 was

D4 camera club 

Post #179620226th Mar 2017 4:16 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >