DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

14 months on
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Graham Robb

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
14 months on

hello,

I have had a fantastic year in my stornoway grey D4 - holidays, business travel, communting etc. 18k a year so a good number of miles to give a fair report back.

HIGHLIGHTS:
MPG, never more than 30.
service costs - gave up on Stratstone I take it to North Eastern 4x4 - cheaper and better
Comfort - brilliant except the lack of armrests on the XS

problems -

1) frequent (more than 12) incidents of red warning light and "restricted performance"; when this happens speed is reduced to 40 mph. It cures itself by stopping the car and turning everything off for two minutes. I have called into Stratstone but by the time the service guy came out to see it, it wouldn't replicate! I have called out Land Rover assist but same story. The Assist guy said that heavy acceleration from cold or on certain gradiants can cause it; that was true in all instances.

2) In the cold weather bluetooth does not connect to phone everytime (IPHONE 4) - again this is an intermittant issue, every other day during cold snap.

3) The bolts on the brake fluid servo system were not tight enough (forgive the amateur explanation) the result was that every three months the brake fluid warning light came on and I needed to top up. Took it to Stratstone they could not find a fault or a leak, took it to independent dealer which found a small but discernable drip under a pressure test. Tightened bolts - problem solved for £90!!

4) In cold weather had an amber 'water in fuel' warning, rang Land Rover assist, talked to an engineer who reassured me, in this minor thaw the light has gone out.

First service and four new road tyres cost £700 from independent North Eastern 4x4. I have been offered a re-map buty not sure if it will affect insurance. if it gets better fuel I'd consider it. Any thoughts?

Post #72981611th Dec 2010 1:29 pm
elemental

Switzerland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4
Re: 14 months on

Graham Robb wrote:

2) In the cold weather bluetooth does not connect to phone everytime (IPHONE 4) - again this is an intermittant issue, every other day during cold snap.

First service and four new road tyres cost £700 from independent North Eastern 4x4. I have been offered a re-map buty not sure if it will affect insurance. if it gets better fuel I'd consider it. Any thoughts?

My bluetooth started playing up recently too, I guess it was when it got cold. Recent 'warmer' weather has cured it for now. Weird.
Four winter tyres Continental Cross Contacts over a thousand pounds (equivalent). Happy they only need replacing every few years.
Remap will only affect insurance if they find out. Hard to see how 'they' would know. You could always be honest and tell your insurers first and pay the increased premums.
 using arm rest more than rear diff  
Post #73041112th Dec 2010 7:58 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

My blue tooth also plays up and will not connect when it is very cold, HTC Desire
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #73043112th Dec 2010 8:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DrLex

Iceland 

Point 1 would concern me, especially on motorways; surely these incidents are logged by the vehicle & can be recalled with the appropriate diagnostic device?
Point 3 would annoy me; I'd be letting LRCS know of Stratstone's failure & requesting reimbursement (since a goodwill gesture from the dealership would go untaken).
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #73044612th Dec 2010 8:46 pm
sacimiddx

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

"restricted performance"
same symptoms for me after a few dealer visits cured
my fault was an 'airbox' sensor

arm rest
small inflatable pillow sorted my lack of arm rest

fuel
did you mean never less than 30mpg ?
 Illegitimi Non Carborundum  
Post #73044912th Dec 2010 8:48 pm
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

your no 1 fault

i had same problem as you have got and it turned out to be a solonoid on the turbo replaced by hunters derby and never had it again
since
shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #73045912th Dec 2010 9:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >