Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

1700 miles to France, D3 is great!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
smitht2

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
1700 miles to France, D3 is great!

Just had to say how pleased I am again for the 2nd year running taking the D3 to France for the family hols.

2 adults, 4 kids, roofbox and every other piece of space full (despite the promises from last year from SWMBO not to take as much stuff - yeah right!)

I got an indicated 30MPG - not worked out the true figure. More importantly the D3 was great at a constant 80mph, with plenty of power despite the load, and lots of comfort, even on the back row.

700 miles in one day was no bother, and all kids just went into DVD/DS world, just needing feeding every couple of hours. Limo tints worked a treat in keeping temp down, and reducing glare for DVD screens and reducing moan levels from kids.

D3 looked the business too.

Click image to enlarge

SWMBO wants to take a trailer next year to be able to take more stuff, and bikes. Not convinced myself, but I'm pretty sure who'll win the argument... Rolling Eyes

Post #68789431st Aug 2010 4:27 pm
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

You might as well start looking at caravans now! Laughing New models just launched! Rolling with laughter

Post #68789831st Aug 2010 4:31 pm
choppa60

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Very Happy Did France myself , 2,000 miles long way back from south of France , through mountains of Switzerland , and camping in the Ardennes , what a brilliant vehicle ,not calling it a car , the kids and swmbo all happy and I had roof box , bike, towbar bike rack 4 bikes and we took our neighbour . I can't praise it enough . Very Happy Very Happy Confused
 2008 ,hse, it does what it says .  
Post #68793231st Aug 2010 5:01 pm
BrianT

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Also done 3k miles down through France and into Spain then back.

Managed to get everything into the boot so no need for roofbox and plenty of room in the cab.

Could have gone on forever on the French toll roads Thumbs Up

Just glad i didn't try it last year in the Golf GT but will def be considering it again next year.

BrianT Thumbs Up
 MY 16 Landmark Santorini Black
MY 05 SE Adriatic Blue (Gone but not forgotten)

Post #68794231st Aug 2010 5:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Did 1700 mile trip to france & back a few weeks ago, took the Sankey Trailer & all was well, no problems at all. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Followed the 2000 mile trip the year before & 2700 mile the year before that. All with no drama at all, 3 kid, roof rack on first trip & Sankey trailer with many interesting looks the last two Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

The D3 is an awesome car for long distance. Bow down Bow down Bow down Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #68800731st Aug 2010 7:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
D4JWW

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up Agree D3 is the best long distance cruiser, gone to Porto and back 4000 miles(14days). No problems accept boot not opening manage after reading this forum. Big load in boot, nothing on the roof and not towing. Pump to pump consumption 28mpg. 2 days of 8 hour jouneys did cause back pains, but all sorted now with fitting of RRS eletric seats, can't wait for next road trip Thumbs Up

Post #68806831st Aug 2010 9:42 pm
jeflew

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
My Discovery 3

I bought my D3 TDV6(06 plate) on December 6th 2009. 92k on clock, AT tyres. Had a strange whine from LH side which tended to disappear when wife was not in car. Day later I allowed wife to drive D3 and whine has changed to a gentle purr! She approves!

On December 22 packed the kids in the back with blankets and set off for Berlin. Managed to get thru the Channel Tunnel after ir reopened following the snow which closed it for a period. First stop was France near Dunkirk. Snow in village with sheet ice.......switched driver to "Smug Mode".

Drove next day to Essen in Germany.....absolute heaven. Next day onto Berlin where day time temperatures were -10c. Three days in Berlin. Saw Blue Man Group on Christmas day and drank copius amounts of Gluwein. Visted car in underground car park several times to make sure it was well. Left for Amsterdam on the 28th Dec. Cold, cold cold. Even the coffee machine in the services was frozen. Get this!..1 litre of engine oil in services...37euros.

Arrived Amsterdam late evening (in bigger smug mode), kids dreadfully peed off with driver saying "what a brill car I have bought".

After several days in Dam kids now insisted on being put on Easyjet plane to Bristol so they could spend new year with friends. After driving them to Schipol and dutifully waving goodbye then drove straight to Brugge and filled now empty back seats with Belgium trappist beer. Ensuring load was suitable secure .......elf and safety etc

Got to Boulogne on New Year eve morning where we filled car with more beer, cheese and garlic. Then onto Sangatte and the Channel Tunnel where eventually we arrived at our pub in Bristol at 8pm.

2300 miles in TDV6 in 11 days, snow, ice, fog, rain and Autobahn driving.......mega smug mode.

"So, was it a good buy?" I hear you asking. "Yes, sure was. The beer was gorgeous and of seriously good quality".

And the TDV6 was bloody good as well!!!!

PS Gonna do it again this year....without kids.

Last edited by jeflew on 20th Sep 2010 9:19 am. Edited 3 times in total 
Post #69442519th Sep 2010 10:19 am
outofyorkshire

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Ditto here...Nimes last year & Bordeaux this year. Have driven many cars in france over years but D3 is best cruiser I have had by far . As Brian T syas they can go forever on those lovely smooooth French motorways. Only problem I have too is SWMBO thinks it will carry everything she can think of taking!!
 Cheers Ian
Massey Ferguson 400 FIS AGTV - Arctic Cat by any other name...
Citroen C3 Picasso for SWMBO so we can remember what fuel economy is!!
Member of the Narpy torch club 

Post #69442719th Sep 2010 10:32 am
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

my SWMBO thinks we can pull the planet wherever we need it lol

Post #69444019th Sep 2010 11:28 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

In 2 weeks time will be on the ferry not far off docking in Tunis. Gonna be 1500 miles from home to Marseille via Cardiff and Luxembourg. Hope everything works as should (last year caliper started binding 60 miles out of Calais) and my Peage tag works. Not to self: remember to buy beer in Lux!

37e for a ltr of oil!! Shocked Shocked Will make sure pack a 5ltr container, could be an opportunity for a bit of profit! Whistle

Post #69444319th Sep 2010 11:41 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >