Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

18" Tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
mzc

Australia 
18" Tyres

What tyres do you guys ( and girls Smile ) use on the 18" rims? I drive on-road 80%, with 20% dirt roads and some really off road 'tracks'. I'm quite happy with the Wranglers that came with the truck, but are they available in Aus?

Post #1178019th Jan 2007 4:28 am
DiscoAtom

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

My trucks is still on it's original tyres, ie., Wranglers. I'm told supply is limited in Australia and they cost $500 each. With newer 4WD now using 17" and 18" tyres, the choice for 18" tyres should improve.
 '06 Disco 3 TDV6 SE Buckingham Blue  
Post #1180049th Jan 2007 9:07 pm
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

check this thread: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic3864.html

Lots of discussion about options - there are certainly many more tyres already available for the 17" rim, and some becoming available for the 18" - eg. General Grabber have an AT tyre now in the std size. Nothing in a mud tyre yet for 18" rims in the stndard size.

cheers,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #1180499th Jan 2007 10:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jamo

Australia 

I got 45000km out of the first set of wranglers, but it looks like it'll be around 30000km out of the second set. I'm not impressed at $460 per tyre.

I think I'll look at the Cooper HT+ as my next set of road tyres.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #1181209th Jan 2007 11:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Hammer

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

$460 per tyre for Wranglers. If you want a cheap price and a great holiday, go to the Flinders Ranges. Why you may ask? Cause I ripped the sidewall out at 7,000km's and was on the way to Blinman at the time. I drove to Angorachina Village and asked about where I could get a Wrangler for my Disco 3. He smiled wryly and said he had a few in his shed. His Missus had a black Disco 3 under their carport. Other than telling me they were ` Censored ' and that he only got 17,000kms out of the originals (replaced them with Coopers HT+), he fitted one for $388. I was outraged at the time until heading home to Melbourne and getting quoted $420 from the local tyre dealer. Given this guy has about 400 tyres in total, and got his Wranglers trucked from Sydney, someone is making few a bucks somewhere. If you go there, just buy the case as he scrapped the face of my rim getting the wrecked tyre off, and couldn't balance it as it was too big. Up to 18,000km's on the Wranglers now, and about half tread or a bit more, so 40,000km's is likely. Coopers guarantee 50 or 60,000kms on the HT's

Post #11858611th Jan 2007 12:45 am
Jamo

Australia 

Even at $388 he can keep the wranglers!

The Cooper warranty is useless! It only applies if the tyres are sold and used only within the bounds of a captial city! If you ask me, to sell tyres like STT's with such a warranty (given they're advertised as 80% off road), is unconscionable and questionably illegal under the Trade Practices Act!
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #11860511th Jan 2007 3:31 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Jamo wrote:
Even at $388 he can keep the wranglers!

The Cooper warranty is useless! It only applies if the tyres are sold and used only within the bounds of a captial city! If you ask me, to sell tyres like STT's with such a warranty (given they're advertised as 80% off road), is unconscionable and questionably illegal under the Trade Practices Act!

Also you need the warranty card (if you got one) to be stamped by the authorised dealer to say they has balanced the wheels, rotated them and checked your wheel alignment every 10.000km. This will cost you as well.

So in most cases who bothers to do this. I certainly rotate the tyres myself and that is about it. So the mileage warranty will be void. However the fact still remains they will stand by replacement warranty on manufacturing defects as I have had on my previous ST's.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #11860611th Jan 2007 3:45 am
Jamo

Australia 

I'll try the HT+ anyway. If I get 40000km out of them with similar or better grip than the wranglers, then that's all I need.

As to defects, I don't think that they can not do something about it; warranty or no warranty. A manufacturing defect would be covered under the TPA.
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #11860811th Jan 2007 5:11 am
catweasel

Hammer wrote:
Given this guy has about 400 tyres in total, and got his Wranglers trucked from Sydney, someone is making few a bucks somewhere.
good old South Australian hospitality, that's all. Wink  
Post #11861911th Jan 2007 7:32 am
mzc

Australia 
Cooper H/T Plus

Jamo wrote:
I'll try the HT+ anyway. If I get 40000km out of them with similar or better grip than the wranglers, then that's all I need.

As to defects, I don't think that they can not do something about it; warranty or no warranty. A manufacturing defect would be covered under the TPA.

Anyone got the Cooper H/T Plus on a 18" Disco3? I think 255/55R18 is the right size, and from the Cooper web site, this is the only mainly on road tyre they do in 18".

Is that correct? Are the Wranglers readily available. Seems like they are going to be expensive if I stick with those.

Do places like Bridgestone or Bob Jane carry them? What about fitting and balancing? I would not have thought the diam/size would not be a problem for the likes of them.

Post #11872111th Jan 2007 1:38 pm
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

MCZ,

A mate of mine has fitted 4 new Cooper HT Plus 265/60R18 to his D3 to replace the Wranglers. His first comments were "the ride is considerably improved and the new tyres are even quieter than the Wranglers!"

The link below is Cooper Australia's website news about their use of the tyres on a D3 in the Simpson.

http://www.coopertires.com.au/news/news_discovery3_07.htm

Also have a look at this link to read about the warranty conditions.

http://www.coopertires.com.au/cooper/warranty.htm

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #11896311th Jan 2007 10:40 pm
RetiredBob

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

MZC

I fitted a set of Cooper HT Plus two months ago and am more than happy with their performance. Have only been on the black stuff so far so cannot comment on dirt etc.

Post #11905212th Jan 2007 2:38 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >