Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

19" Tire options?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
jjvd21

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3
19" Tire options?

Apologize in advance because I'm sure somewhere on this site this discussion has already taken place, just can't find it when searching......

I have the 19" rims (HSE), what tire size options are there besides 255/55/19? How much larger could I go? Are there any sizes that are close to the 255/55/19 that would open up more options? Thanks again.
 16 D4 Landmark
05 D3 HSE V8
THE original D4 spotter 

Post #2546724th Feb 2008 4:49 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

The problem you may have is finding a tyre that has the appropriate load rating in that kind of size range. Also, it seems Europe and the US are offered very different tyre ranges by the manufacturers.

Are you after an offroad tyre, and all-terrain tyre or a road tyre? Sorry, tire Wink
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #2551244th Feb 2008 10:31 pm
jjvd21

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

I prefer a more aggressive tire. I'm aware of the standard Synchrone / Wrangler / etc. Is there any other tire similiar in size with the appropriate loading that will work? Thanks for your help!
 16 D4 Landmark
05 D3 HSE V8
THE original D4 spotter 

Post #2551624th Feb 2008 11:26 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

In the UK the only more aggressive option for 19s is the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R in 255/55/19 (EDIT: Not to be confused with the standard Wrangler). This is the tyre LR specify and fit for the G4 events and has a loyal following amongst users with 19" wheels on this forum. It's certainly a tough tyre and many people leave them on for road use. Hope this helps Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #2551674th Feb 2008 11:55 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

I'm not for a minute suggesting you'd want to buy the one's Malc is selling (shipping may be a bit of an issue and he's already sold them), but he has posted some decent pics so you can see the tread/profile of the tyres here

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic18222.html
Post #2551735th Feb 2008 12:06 am
Hobgoblin

Location: As always, in the sh*t, it's only the depth that varies

Spain 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

How much noisier are the MTR tyres than the road going Wranglers Question
These seem to be the only upgrade option for 19s, but the car is so lovely and quiet I don't want to spoil it.
 I'm not as good as I once was........but I'm as good once as I ever was.  
Post #2671913rd Mar 2008 3:00 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Hobgoblin wrote:
How much noisier are the MTR tyres than the road going Wranglers Question
These seem to be the only upgrade option for 19s, but the car is so lovely and quiet I don't want to spoil it.

On a scale of 1 to 10 they are 6. Standard tyres are 3. They produce a deep rumble up to about 50mph then they start to get a bit of a higher pitched rumble as the speed increases.

Do you like having your cake and eating is as well. Thumbs Up
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #2672003rd Mar 2008 3:20 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

You have to live with it looking a bit limp wristed with roadies....or hard as Censored with MT\Rs Very Happy
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #2672053rd Mar 2008 3:24 pm
Hobgoblin

Location: As always, in the sh*t, it's only the depth that varies

Spain 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

AndrewS wrote:

Do you like having your cake and eating is as well. Thumbs Up

Just like it with icing on Very Happy
 I'm not as good as I once was........but I'm as good once as I ever was.  
Post #2672113rd Mar 2008 3:33 pm
n1cktdv6

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have been looking at getting some MTR's and looking on here 'everyone' pretty much has them as a preferred option on 19's....hence I have verbally had 4 off Ken !!

Just need to get them now Thumbs Up
 D4 HSE....Probably, but not quite decided yet.
3.6 TDV8 Vogue
XC90 SE Lux
A8 Quattro TDi
D3 SE 

Post #2672323rd Mar 2008 4:28 pm
discocuzzy

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Had a set fitted for the salisbury event, awesome off road, bit noisy on but just turn the stereo up..thats what 35 digits of volume on the Harman Kardons for Thumbs Up
 "you cannot teach stupid people to do clever things"
--------------------------------------------------------
05 plate D3 HSE in Zermat- Gone
11 Plate D4 Landmark in Fuji white- Gone
08 Plate D3 Hse in Buckingham Blue- Gone
58 plate D3 HSE Silver- Gone
10 Plate D4 HSE Stornaway Grey 

Post #2673193rd Mar 2008 7:25 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Thinking of buying a set from AJS, what are they like for grip on road compared to road tyres, I am guessing they wear quite well given the tread on them. I am tempted to leave them on permanently.

I am going to sell the RRS 19" wheels I bought a while back with the wrong size tyres as I don't want to end up with 12 wheels.

Post #2679754th Mar 2008 10:06 pm
craig

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

MTR's do last well.
They also give comparable performance to a standard road tyre, apart from a slightly increased humm coming from them.
You'll also find due to the chunky tread that the first 100 miles or so, they feel a little vague compared to standard roadies - but you do get used to it.
Do prefer the MTR in wet conditions, compared to the Conti's, as they do disperse the water on the road very well

I've hooned around on mine and never lost it and never felt like im going to, and im leaving mine on for the next few weeks. I will however swap back to the 17" contis - but this is because after 30k miles they still have 4mm of tread on, so i reckon im good upto 35-37k, before i have to buy anymore or make the decision to leave the MTR's on permanently. Very Happy

Post #2679904th Mar 2008 10:33 pm
Hollywood LR3

United States 2006 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Stornoway GreyLR3

We don't have a good choice for 19's in the states I found a good all around tire ... I posted this on a few forums

OK I picked up the Wintrack4Xtreme tires in Chicago and went through some the worst winter driving experiences in my life with absolutely no sliding. At first though, I headed out on the I80 West with the Conti tires which came with the car. Before I knew it, I was in a white out! White knuckling it past at least a hundred cars and tractor trailers wrecked on the side of the road and center medium, I held on tight as the wind threw me from the fast lane to the slow lane. I had no traction to speak of. Was not sure I was going to make it alive. Could not even see the exits available, the snow was coming down so thick.I finally pulled over for the night . Woke up to my LR3 with a good 8 inches of snow on it and -11* out ... So cold .... After warming up the ride for 20 min I jumped onto the 80 West to give it another try. As I was driving I was thinking how bad the roads are in this part of the country with all these huge holes in the ground , only realize later that the ground was frozen and what I had thought to be holes were breaks in the ice. Going less than 5 miles per hour, I barely missed a gas pump trying to pull in to fill up. On my way out of the station, I nearly hit the car in front of me at the light. I tried to stop giving my self over 20 feet to do so and the car just kept on moving. ....Finally found a place to switch the tires. On my way back home the Wintrac4Xetreme tires were flawless. I was doing the speed limit feeling very sure footed and in total control through the same scary stuff I had driven through a day earlier. Now, I was passing everything on the road from State Police to BMW X5's the tires held like velcro!..... I am very happy to know my family is safe and that we won't be having anymore near misses.
Post #2680795th Mar 2008 5:52 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Sold the RRS wheels last night, so now going for a set of MTR's on 19" rims Very Happy

Post #2685576th Mar 2008 10:48 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >