Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

1st breakdown
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Bernie

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Part 5

After having the new battery fitted a week ago, I decided to not use the Disco and put the voltmeter on each day. Guess what! The voltage dropped every day.In a week it moved from 12.35 to 11.90.It goes back in on Wednesday.They think a Computer is not shutting down on switch off. Of course they did check for voltage drain a week ago.(so they told me ) This is my 5th trip back in 5 weeks ownership. Mad

Post #2797314th Nov 2005 8:03 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Part 5

Bernie wrote:
After having the new battery fitted a week ago, I decided to not use the Disco and put the voltmeter on each day. Guess what! The voltage dropped every day.In a week it moved from 12.35 to 11.90.It goes back in on Wednesday.They think a Computer is not shutting down on switch off. Of course they did check for voltage drain a week ago.(so they told me ) This is my 5th trip back in 5 weeks ownership. Mad
Bernie, that's not abnormal for any vehicle, voltage will drop in relation to temperature as well as current draw. Most large diesel engines have a cold-crank voltage of around 10.3V, some are lower, dependent upon the level of electronics in the vehicle.
there is at least one system that runs all the time on the Disco 3, many do shut down, or at least 'sleep' within a couple of hours, opening the doors or pushing remote buttons will wake it up..... do you live near any radio antennae?

Post #2797814th Nov 2005 8:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bernie

Re part5

Hi 10forcash, I live in the sticks, so nothing near me.My worry is that if I parked for 2 weeks (airport) I presume the battery would be flat.Our other car does not lose any voltage if parked.

Post #2797914th Nov 2005 8:26 pm
10forcash

Re: Re part5

Bernie wrote:
Hi 10forcash, I live in the sticks, so nothing near me.My worry is that if I parked for 2 weeks (airport) I presume the battery would be flat.Our other car does not lose any voltage if parked.
are you near the 'golfballs' or in line with microwave relays?  
Post #2798014th Nov 2005 8:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bernie

Re re part 5

Golfballs! Would'nt go near them. Could sheep have any effect?

Post #2798114th Nov 2005 8:41 pm
10forcash

Re: Re re part 5

Bernie wrote:
Golfballs! Would'nt go near them. Could sheep have any effect?
dunno.... best ask Simon Wink
seriously, any local, or locally manifested EMP can effect the on-board systems, and prevent them 'sleeping'.....

Post #2798214th Nov 2005 8:48 pm
Bernie

Re part 5

Hi 10forcash. I take your point but seriously cant think of anything local.Will have to trust the lads on Wednesday. In fairness they have always been a great Dealership. ( Based on 6 Discos)

Post #2798514th Nov 2005 8:54 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Re: Re re part 5

10forcash wrote:
seriously, any local, or locally manifested EMP can effect the on-board systems, and prevent them 'sleeping'.....
Could this be the answer to getting the FBH working on timer then Wink The End  
Post #2798614th Nov 2005 8:58 pm
espri

Austria 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

10forcash,

If what you say about any local EMP affecting the car's systems is true, then I would say the whole thing is badly designed. The whole world is full of EMP these days. I don't want a car that reacts to odd signals whenever it fancies. Any user system should be resistant to such effects, even from strong signals.

Maybe I'll think again, whether the Disco's the car for me Crying or Very sad

Eric

Post #2802714th Nov 2005 11:03 pm
10forcash

espri wrote:
10forcash,

If what you say about any local EMP affecting the car's systems is true, then I would say the whole thing is badly designed. The whole world is full of EMP these days. I don't want a car that reacts to odd signals whenever it fancies. Any user system should be resistant to such effects, even from strong signals.

Maybe I'll think again, whether the Disco's the car for me Crying or Very sad

Eric
sorry mate, many things are affected by EMP... your wristwatch, mobile phone, laptop, TV, DVD / video recorder, wireless internet, car, even your heating programmer, the good thing is, most, if not all, are able to be reset / rebooted.... get used to it.. it's the way ahead Rolling Eyes

there are certain vehicles that will not alow you to access them once parked in an 'EMP' active area unless you shield theit sensory areas with aluminium foil and activate the remotes under the shield.... no names but the letters L, S & M,S also B,W and even F, D plus V, O... S, A.... V, N.... A, I... get the idea Wink

Post #2803014th Nov 2005 11:13 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

10forcash wrote:
no names but the letters L, S & M,S also B,W and even F, D plus V, O... S, A.... V, N.... A, I...

What? Confused Thud
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #2803214th Nov 2005 11:20 pm
10forcash

der.... fink about it... first and last.... Thud or do I have to S....P....E....L...L it out Shocked

Post #2803314th Nov 2005 11:22 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Mr. Green Whistle
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #2803414th Nov 2005 11:25 pm
10forcash

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing if you were a woman, you'd be a Censored teaser Shocked Shocked

Post #2803514th Nov 2005 11:31 pm
espri

Austria 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

I agree too that the EMP is all around and anything can be affected. But I assume that any critical system, like those in a car, transmits its data with some method of recognising when it has been corrupted. And, if that's the case, repeats until it works ok.

My current VW also has some sort of computer ticking away under the bonnet but I cannot say I have ever noticed any problem that I could put down to EMP (and that was driving to and fro every day past the Voice of America transmitter which had the locals hanging out banners claiming that their health was being affected; the station was closed down a year or two ago).

But now I'm off to bed to dream about it Very Happy

Eric

Post #2803614th Nov 2005 11:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >