DISCO3.CO.UK > General

1st Discovery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Luckless1882

United Kingdom 
1st Discovery

Hi all

We're thinking of buying our first D3. We have a budget of max £7k and are looking to buy 05/06 HSE/SE with around 100k on clock. I understand that belts and pump should be done by then and possibly brake hoses. Is there any thing else that we should consider checking before purchase. We won't be doing many miles just run kids around into town and used to the odd bit of shooting.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Pete

Post #19234387th Mar 2018 12:07 pm
Littlewill

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Id suggest planning to look at several all on the same day (if possible) this stops you "falling in love" with the first one you see as you will have arranged to see others. You will be surprised just how much your opinion can change on the first one once you've been and seen a couple of others.

I hope that helps

Post #192574413th Mar 2018 5:51 pm
Ipken

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Picking up my first D3 tomorrow. Should have been weekend but needed work for MOT - bushes, brake hose and bearings. Last owner did belts, suspension pump plus turbo. Have company car so been protected from repair costs so hope no big bills to come. Having had new cars I also haven't been involved in fixing things for 20 years but only plan is to change bulbs for brighter ones and then see how it goes. I am really looking forward to collecting it

Post #192575113th Mar 2018 6:21 pm
Grandadrob

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 3

Only had mine for a couple of weeks. Before that I test drove a few. Get your head around the various spec levels, which one or ones do you prefer. I actually set a maximum mileage that I was willing to accept. Have some colour preferences, but that one is not easy. My only colour guidance for myself was, not black, and especially not black with black leather. Then if you really want to pin the whole thing down, chose a maximum age. Check service history, especially cam belts etc.
You will not achieve all or maybe even most of your objectives, but it helps to whittle down the ones you actually want to view or drive. My advice as a novice to this, is avoid the panel vans which have been converted. I came across a couple in the early days without realising because the dealers didn't make it clear. If there is no spec code.....gs, se, hse etc on the back, its a van conversion. Now they might not all be as bad, but the ones I saw were so low on spec, some were still registered as commercials. All my homework, and viewing miles paid off, I am thrilled with the one I found.
Oh one more thing.................I am a nerd !!!
 1955 SWB Series 1 86 inch
1960 SWB Series 2 88 inch
2009 Discovery 3 HSE Bournville Pearl 

Post #192578113th Mar 2018 7:43 pm
Luckless1882

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the advice. We are going to test drive some locally soon. I quite like the idea of an auto over manual just have to see what the Mrs prefers. My main concern is to choose one that is mechanically sound and been well maintained. I understand that they can be costly but hope they're not as troublesome as most people seem to think?

Post #192608714th Mar 2018 1:33 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Some are “the disco from hell” and some aren’t. Friendly advice is not to spend the last of your hard earned cash on a discovery and not leave any for repairs. The newest D3 starts to be 10 years old, soon, and there are things that need changing every now and then. There might also be surprises even if you would get the best car currently for sale.

That being said, it’s a great car to drive.

I would choose an automatic rather than manual.

Post #192610214th Mar 2018 1:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >