2 years and 2 months to get a problem.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
JMC

Scotland 
2 years and 2 months to get a problem.

It's happened Big Cry

Upper tailgate release has stopped working. Evil or Very Mad

Fortunately, I remembered reading about this issue some time ago and recalled the emergency tailgate opening technique from the dashboard CDL buttons. Proved to SWMBO that all the time spent on the forum WAS worthwhile..... Whistle

Once home, I've searched the forums and found this used to be a common problem. I've read all the threads and took great interest in the programmable keyfob emergency releae function which isn't in the manual - but seems to have been available from 05MY.

Problem is, it won't program this function for me (06MY) Confused

As a result, I'm currently using the piece of foam jammed in the door for solitary emergency release (Thanks Brendan).

WHY WONT MY KEYFOB PROGRAM THIS?Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

I can get the follow me home lights to work. I can change this to and from the alarm function. I can get the suspension to program within a minute of switching ff the engine. I don't need anyone to tell me that the key must be out of the ignition......

Any ideas folks????
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #30217522nd May 2008 10:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I'm sure I've had it working on mine JMC and it's more or less a twin of yours Confused I'll try mine tomorrow... maybe it won't work because of the external release not functioning?
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #30217722nd May 2008 10:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JMC

Scotland 

The threads I read were saying that this could be programmed once the external release had failed by using the internal emergency buttons....... Confused
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #30218022nd May 2008 10:37 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

When my tailgate release stopped working, I managed to get my remote fob working okay (06 model).

IIRC the procedure I used to program the key was

Switch engine off
remove key
press LR button on fob at the same time as pressing the unlock/lock button on the dash - keeping them all pressed until the I heard the tailgate release. Also seem to remember it took me two or three attempts at programming the key fob.
 1996 Discovery 1 300TDI ES Biarritz Blue, sold
1999 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Rioja Red, sold
2002 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Buckingham Blue, sold
2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Adriatic Blue, sold
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver, sold
2011 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze, sold
2016 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Lux Nav Twilight Bronze, sold
2020 Range Rover Evoque P250 First Edition, Nolita grey, sold
2023 Range Rover Evoque P300e Autobiography, Carpathian grey 

Post #30218222nd May 2008 10:39 pm
JMC

Scotland 

Cheers WOODY179 Thumbs Up

Lets me know that it can be done..... Will persevere tomorrow when daylight makes it more sensible to practise.
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #30218622nd May 2008 10:43 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

Good luck Thumbs Up

If you cannot get it working, there is another way to get the lock working.

You will need to pull the rubber off Shocked where the release switch is located, under that there will be an alloy plate (this will be badly corroded and the cause of the problem). If you then move the plate to one side there will be a microswitch and pressing that should still operate the tailgate release - did for mine anyway.

Post #30219022nd May 2008 10:51 pm
JMC

Scotland 

The plot thickens............. Confused

Firstly, I spent about an hour trying to program the key to open the rear door using the emergency release system without success. Tried every permutation of pushing and holding the buttons simultaneously, one after the other, with hazards on, within a minute of the engine being switched off etc. Nothing! Evil or Very Mad

Then, I took the microswitch cover apart (breaking one of the tabs like everyone else!) and tried pushing the switch manually. Nothing! Evil or Very Mad

Then I noticed that both number plate lights were blown......

So here's the deal: Check your manual for a fuse which looks after either the number plate lights or the tailgate release or both. I certainly couldn't find it Rolling Eyes

Next, I pulled a few random fuses which looked like they might control such functions and found everything in order. What a b Censored d of a fuse box it is to deal with behind the glovebox Evil or Very Mad

Then, I pulled the tailgate release and, hey presto, it worked Shocked

I immediately tried to program the key from the rear of the car and that worked too Razz

Just as well really, since about 2 minutes later the tailgate stopped working again Twisted Evil

At least I can get the dogs in and out with the keyfob now........ Whistle

Any ideas then???
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #30246923rd May 2008 6:28 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

It is most likely corrosion thats the problem - now that you have removed the rubber cover, is the inner plate corroded? Mine worked most of the time once the rubber cover had been removed by the dealer - lucky really as it took a week to get a new door switch (complete tailgate door handle replaced).

I'm sure that I managed to program this feature using the center console switches though and both number plate lights were working.

Post #30247123rd May 2008 6:50 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

This is what my tailgate release switch looked like

Post #30247223rd May 2008 6:52 pm
JMC

Scotland 

Mine looked pretty similar, but I cant see how corrosion on this flap will stop the switch working. On the underside of the flap is a rubber 'bobble' which pushes a little lever into the microswitch. There is no electrical contact between the flap and the microswitch so corrosion of the flap itself is of little consequence.

I tried to work the microswitch by hand once the flap was moved out of the way, but this didn't make any difference. The idea that the switch itself had failed was also proved wrong for a short time later when it worked...... Confused

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me which fuse looks after the number plate lghts and the tailgate release. I imagine it isn't the same one which works the CDL or the emergency tailgate release function.......
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #30248323rd May 2008 7:26 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

Your right there is no electrical contact via this flap. I presume that when its corroded the flap does not move very easily or possibly that the corrosion causes the flap to stick to the rubber - I remember when mine failed that it was very hard to press the tailgate release.

Post #30248823rd May 2008 7:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >