DISCO3.CO.UK > General

2005 disco 3 v8 hse
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
torlak

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
2005 disco 3 v8 hse

hi all
i am currently driving a 2000 td5 manual disco 2 which is modified for greenlaning - 2" lift, airbags removed, bfg mts all around etc etc
now planning to buy a 2005 V8 at 81k miles with full land rover history 2 owners. have searched the forum for possible faults etc but as there are not many V8 around, it is very difficult to find many reviews.
what's your idea about the V8 model? i am not too bothered about the fuel consumption as car will be driven only on the weekends for road trips and greenlaning

Post #134958429th Sep 2014 12:35 pm
Dusty

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

The Jag V8 is a peach of an engine and it seems to be fairing well in the reliability stakes, probably due to it's rarity in D3 format as much as anything else . It will suffer the other usual D3 issues such as suspension wear and water ingress. If running costs are not an issue then go for it, you won't have to worry about belt or turbo issues either.

I'm seriously considering changing my Diesel for a V8. Because they are no longer available in a petrol version in this country it might be the last chance to own a V8 D3 before they start heading for the scrap yard as the years go by!!
 Discovery 4 HSE
SDV6

Post #134962829th Sep 2014 2:35 pm
BETOGTI

Brazil 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

2006 V8 HSE here1 Love it, very smooth, quiet and a nice punch with minor pedal pressure.

56 K miles and engine seems bullet proof.

If you dont mind paying a visit to the gas station now and then I am sure you won't regret going with the V8.

Post #134981729th Sep 2014 8:07 pm
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

2005 V8 here too, have never driven so many kms or years with a car.
Currently at 205,000 kms and still going strong.
There are less engine parts to go wrong (EGR, turbo), the rest is the same car of course.

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #134994029th Sep 2014 9:43 pm
Karba78

France 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueLR3

2005 v8 here too
Bought it second hand with 100k lm

Just love this car, smooth but real power under the pedal.
The most versatile car ever.
My next car when this pne is done ( hope in a long time) will be another v8

Regarding cost of petrol. The price difference vs a diesel at purchase gives me a long way to reach same cost of ownership, plus great confort and.beautifull quie sound,

Post #135005630th Sep 2014 2:33 am
torlak

i found couple of V8s, hopefully will test drive them over the weekend!

Post #135011830th Sep 2014 9:32 am
TheOneAndOnlyNikolaus

Austria 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I have a 2005 V8 HSE that I impored from Switzerland in 2008 with 50k KM. Now the car has around 115k KM and no issue related to the engine or drivetrain. Got the V8 intentionally as I know the engine from previous Jaguar and there the engine is rock solid as well since the 4.2 version was introduced.

Servicing the engine is really easy as no big access issues (think about the 2.7 rear engine belts and Turbo change challenge) and as you cruise most of the time the load to the engine is really low,
Only advice from my side is to
    change the spark plugs ahead of schedule as the cost is very low but a seized spark plug is no fun

keep an eye on the plastic Coolant-reservoir as the material seems to be the same that is known for hairline cracks in the Jags causing different to find coolant leaks form the system (the part is cheap - have already a spare at home)

Good Luck with the V8

Nikolaus

Post #135021930th Sep 2014 12:01 pm
torlak

thank you all for comments
so basic things i need to check is

all different traction modes
maybe leaking sunroof
tail gate
handbrake

anything more to add?
i will go and test drive one on saturday so wanna be ready for the full check up!

Post #135027430th Sep 2014 1:26 pm
TheOneAndOnlyNikolaus

Austria 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Check all doors locks. Lock the car and try to open doors. They seem to all die at almost the same time (just had to do both front doors - now rear starts to malfunction). When all does are locked unlock the car and see if you can really open the door. LR decided to use two very cheap electric motors to lock and unlock the door and they give up sooner or later...

Another V8 benefit: the brakes are larger - you will feel the different if you have to brake hard on the highway

Post #135034730th Sep 2014 3:32 pm
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Check suspension up/down, should be able to lower and raise a few times before the compressor is empty. Listen to the compressor, should not run for ages.
If possible, do not let them start the car for you, you want to know if it raises after starting (sign of leak in suspension system somewhere).

Check the fuel cap door, it should lock and unlock with central locking.

Check for wet carpets in front footwells, it is a sign of blocked drains.

If driving, use the brake more than 10 times (as this is the limit for some brake fault I once experienced).

Use/try all electrickery to see if it works, including heated seats front and rear if fitted, and including sound system.

Well I suppose you would now about even tyre wear and signs of abuse.

Good luck, don't let the joy you will have driving cloud your judgement.

Regards,
Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #135039530th Sep 2014 5:22 pm
conanius

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Hi Torlak,

I've sent you a PM as I'm currently selling my D3 V8 HSE, and would love it to go to a proper home.

I'll go through the things I've had to do in my ownership:

- Sort the handbrake. It had a brand new one fitted in 2013, and it needed greasing as it was making a teeny bit of noise.

- Sort the suspension. I'd got damaged bushes at the front and rear and they were starting to ever so slightly knock going over bumps. I got all the ones that had issues sorted and had them confirm all the other ones were good. I also got the car 4 wheel aligned to ensure everything was correctly set up.

- Sort the drivetrain. I was getting an odd suspension issue where in wet weather the car would say 'SUSPENSION FAULT!' and lower to access mode. Stopping the car, turning off the engine and restarting it fixed it. It turned out the rear diff lock my car has (an option from the factory) had an issue with its motor, and in wet weather was trying to lock to give traction. When this didn't happen, the car got confused and lowered the suspension thinking it was a fault. Took a fair amount of investigation as no fault codes were logged.

- Sort the sunroof. Pretty much the only place these things leak. I had a little bit of water come in through the airbag cover in the driver A pilar, and got all the tubes replaced. I was getting slightly damp carpets in the passenger footwell, which turned out to be the air con drain pipe coming off. All sorted now. When they did this the sunroof electronic module failed, and I've now got a brand new one fitted as of last weekend.

- Clockspring. Its the wiring loom in the steering wheel that controls all sorts of things including the cruise control. Make sure all the controls work. The cruise on my car was intermittant and it can be a whole host of things from faulty break light bulbs, brake switches under the brake pedal, and the clock spring. I ended up having to replace the clock spring wiring loom to make mine work.

Other key things.

- Sat Nav discs only go up to 2012. They cost about £100 if you can acquire one.

- Bluetooth module needs updating if you want ot use it with some modern phones

I'm sure there are other key things to consider Smile

Post #13516842nd Oct 2014 8:53 pm
rbellinge

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
V8 longevity

Just to make a note about the D3 V8 engines...

I've got a 2005 D3 V8 with 240,000kms on the clock, and the engine still behaves like it's brand new, and I've had to do almost nothing to it, aside from the thermostat housing (replaced just once, a common issue).

And reconned the gearbox due to the 'sealed for life' issue. But once reconned at 150,000kms, this car has been absolutely without fault; reliable, strong, capable, and the engine... just pure engineering excellence.

Yes, there are quirks on the body that needed sorting, but engine-wise... remarkable.
 2005 Discovery 3 4.4L V8, gone
1977 series III ex-military 6 cylinder troop carrier, gone but not forgotten
1973 series II inherited farm ute, waiting for attention
3x 1997 Perentie ex-military MONSTERS getting rego'd 

Post #233943614th Jun 2023 1:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >