DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

2005 LR3 V8 Overheating
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Nakierza

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3
2005 LR3 V8 Overheating

Hi all,

I was hoping you could help me out. I was driving my 2005 LR3 three weeks ago, and after getting to highway speeds, it started overheating. I got off the highway and into a parking lot and saw that coolant was spilling out. I opened the hood and saw that the coolant tank was overflowing.

I got the LR3 home, and I tried some threads I read, but nothing has worked. Here are my symptoms:

Overheating (used to overheat after idling for 30 mins, now it does it at 10 min) (I could drive it for 10 mins before it starts to overheat as well). By overheat, I mean it goes from mid reading all the way to the top.

The driver's side A/C Heat took a while to heat up before this happened. Now there is no heat through both sides. I thought it was the heater core, so I've flushed it multiple times, and nothing has changed.
I've also changed out the thermostat. It seemed to help a little.

My local mechanic thinks its a head gasket, but he doesn't know much about Rovers nor did he actually test for it.
Any suggestions? It's at 183K Miles, had the oil, tires, brakes changed at 182K.
Thanks!

Post #212250120th Feb 2020 4:38 pm
ajmacfarlane

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Hi,
Have you tried bleeding the cooling system? Could be full of air causing a false reading?

I had no heat from my heater core so also tried flushing it but in the end i had to replace it and now its lovely and warm. Could be that your core is blocked up beyond flushing and a new core and system bleed will sort you out.

I'm sure more experienced members will pint you in the right directing though

Post #212251420th Feb 2020 5:01 pm
Nakierza

I did try bleeding the cooling system. A lot of air was let out but still no cigar.

I am thinking that might be the issue, did you replace it yourself or have a mechanic do it? What was your cost?

Thanks.

Post #212252020th Feb 2020 5:15 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Check the fan clutch operation, and the thermostat. Do not let it run til the temp reaches the red!
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #212254020th Feb 2020 5:58 pm
ajmacfarlane

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Nakierza wrote:
I did try bleeding the cooling system. A lot of air was let out but still no cigar.

I am thinking that might be the issue, did you replace it yourself or have a mechanic do it? What was your cost?

Thanks.

I did the replacement myself, there’s a really good article on here (I think in the wiki section) about how to do it. I bought the parts online from LRParts for about £75 I think. With the new coolant you’re probably looking about £130.

I’d also get the thermostat done while you’re at it though. May not the the main issue but they do go and if you're going to fix the cooling system then might as well deal with that now rather then later.

Post #212255320th Feb 2020 7:44 pm
Ivan

United Kingdom 

My V8 started getting a bit hot last year. The viscous fan would come on when driving at 50MPH on my way home. As I was about to go on holiday I replaced the thermostat and housing, new viscous fan, new expansion tank and new radiator. This cured the problem. Not sure which bit it was but it now runs fine and does not get very hot at all. On a long run the temp needle sits just below half way and there is no viscous fan noise.
I think the viscous fans can deteriorate. Although mine was working it was kicking in when it shouldn't. I also noticed a very tiny leak on the radiator. Hence replacing the whole lot.

HTH

Ivan
 2013 RR Vogue SE SDV8
2013 Freelander 2 HSE Luxury SD4 

Post #212263921st Feb 2020 8:20 am
geoffsnook

Wales 

These engines are a nightmare to bleed chances are you have air in it if as you say you have also flushed the system with my supercharged v8 sport it took me about an hour of running it letting the pressure out a bit by releasing the cap until it was ok not the correct way but it worked for me as i said real pain in the Censored to bleed Thumbs Up
 Discovery 3 se gone
Range rover sport supercharged here:) 

Post #212264321st Feb 2020 8:59 am
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

The V8 in my Discovery 1 had just this problem. Eventually head gasket went but replacing did not solve the problem. It turned out to be the viscous coupling to the cooling fan.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #212265621st Feb 2020 9:47 am
Nakierza

ajmacfarlane wrote:
Nakierza wrote:

Thanks.

I did the replacement myself, there’s a really good article on here (I think in the wiki section) about how to do it. I bought the parts online from LRParts for about £75 I think. With the new coolant you’re probably looking about £130.

I’d also get the thermostat done while you’re at it though. May not the the main issue but they do go and if you're going to fix the cooling system then might as well deal with that now rather then later.

Ah okay, thank you. I actually did replace the thermostat. Its the second time in three years. Figured it wasn't bad but did it anyways.

Post #212274521st Feb 2020 4:34 pm
Nakierza

Ivan wrote:
My V8 started getting a bit hot last year. The viscous fan would come on when driving at 50MPH on my way home. As I was about to go on holiday I replaced the thermostat and housing, new viscous fan, new expansion tank and new radiator. This cured the problem. Not sure which bit it was but it now runs fine and does not get very hot at all. On a long run the temp needle sits just below half way and there is no viscous fan noise.
I think the viscous fans can deteriorate. Although mine was working it was kicking in when it shouldn't. I also noticed a very tiny leak on the radiator. Hence replacing the whole lot.

HTH

Ivan

Ivan, thanks for your input. The fans do seem to get veryyyy loud once it start to overheat. Is that what you had? I'll be looking into it as others have also recommended here.

Post #212274721st Feb 2020 4:36 pm
sutty2006

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Check for coolant circulation, if the water pump impella falls off inside it won’t circulate the coolant round the engine

Post #212275221st Feb 2020 4:50 pm
Nakierza

geoffsnook wrote:
These engines are a nightmare to bleed chances are you have air in it if as you say you have also flushed the system with my supercharged v8 sport it took me about an hour of running it letting the pressure out a bit by releasing the cap until it was ok not the correct way but it worked for me as i said real pain in the Censored to bleed Thumbs Up

I thought I've bled it but I will try again. My LR3 overheats after 10 minutes of idling, what should I do then? Stop bleeding it?

Post #212275921st Feb 2020 5:07 pm
Nakierza

sutty2006 wrote:
Check for coolant circulation, if the water pump impella falls off inside it won’t circulate the coolant round the engine

I hear a lot of liquid seemingly circulating after I turn the car off. Is there a certain way to check?

Post #212276021st Feb 2020 5:08 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

If the head gasket has blown it will create an airlock and overheat, if the fan is very noisy like you say it is doing its job ok.
Take the filler cap off and fill the water bottle to the brim, start the engine and run at tick over, watch the water bottle and look for bubbles rising out of the filler, any bubbles and you have a blown head gasket, this may be a result of the engine overheating and not the root of the problem. In cold weather on a long run the fan should only kick in Fully when the vehicle stops travelling and heat builds up.
It is unusual for a thermostat to fail closed they usually fail safe-open.
It can take a good 10 minutes following the manuals instructions to get all the air out of the system Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #212280821st Feb 2020 6:58 pm
sutty2006

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Best way to check for circulation is to remove a coolant pipe and start the engine, if coolant rushes out the pump is working. Obviously do this when cold. You may loose a bit of coolant too.

Post #212289022nd Feb 2020 7:31 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >