Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

2011 D4 satnag
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4
2011 D4 satnag

Never given any issues whilst in NW or even when i ventured into the badlands of Yorkshire, but down here in Devon it showed me about 30 miles out to sea at one point.

Does it learn? Did same route back to the apartment today and it didn't try to take me through a housing estate today, unlike yesterday.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #191733321st Feb 2018 7:55 pm
Hardware

ok … 1 more observation about satnav and 1 problem !

firstly, looks like previous owner had cleared info EXCEPT if I list "previous starts" when I can see everywhere the car has been well before I got to own it.

second … at some point in last couple of days I saw an option for "off road navigation" that I swear wasn't there before. so I selected it and …. now I can't go back to on-road mode. How do i fix it ? handbook implies it's automatic that it will switch once i'm on a road.

Post #191927926th Feb 2018 6:20 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

My MY10 threw that at me once - repeatedly pressing the Nav button when the Sat Nav is enabled (not the soft button on the Home screen, the one on the dash) brings up the selection.

On one of the rare occasions I needed to use it last night it white screened on me (it has gone blank before) - had to stop, let it go to sleep and then OK.

Post #191928826th Feb 2018 6:38 pm
Hardware

Cheers … sorted.

suspect I double-hit the Nav button when on a bumpy section of road, and faced with new options just had to try it ! Laughing

Post #191929226th Feb 2018 6:43 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

I can spend many an hour on a long boring haul trying to figure out the LR system, endless entertainment and frustration in equal measure. All the time relying on GoogMaps for the job of actually navving. Haven't used the LR satnag since last summer. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Post #191929426th Feb 2018 6:49 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Its fairly poor - I like it when it (tries) takes you of an Mway junction and them straight back on the other side

Post #191930326th Feb 2018 7:01 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

One of the biggest hassles I had was when I tried to ignore it and went a different way. It wouldn't accept that I wasn't going it's way and would constantly recalculate the best way to get me to it's route, not my destination. This was down central Sweden so not a lot of choices to get confused about.

The other problem I seemed to hit was it constantly over-reacting to TMC data. Example being heading up the M6/M74, few minutes delay because of whatever (that didn't actually exist) and it wanted to sent me via the A69 and A1. It couldn't comprehend that 5 minutes delay in traffic was better than an hour's worth of diversion. Completely nuts. But the final straw was the constant THERE IS SLOW TRAFFIC AHEAD announcements, even when I was sitting stationary in it. That got the TMC bit switched to Italy, sorted it out. Thumbs Up

GoogMaps is the way. Thumbs Up

Post #191930426th Feb 2018 7:09 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I use Waze... I’ve found it better than google maps (google owns Waze...), congestion, civil works, accidents, police checkpoints, etc. can all be found with it since the data is crowdsourced.

Thumbs Up

Post #191930626th Feb 2018 7:16 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Will give it a go, but with Google I have all my points for trip planning in there so handy. I just have to remember to have the announcements switched on. Quite often in your country I'd realise 20 minutes after the turn off that I'd gone wrong and have some fantastic dirt roads to get me back on route. Thumbs Up

Post #191930926th Feb 2018 7:22 pm
Hardware

haven't even got TMC enabled … must look into that!

to be fair to the recalculation, on my crazy cross-Manchester route it does start to agree with me after a couple of minutes and has even improved on the route. it did then let itself down because it doesn't know that roads which WERE perfectly valid are now "Bus and Access Only" but I didn't get a fine so i'll let it off.

as for the off motorway/rejoin at same junction trick … used a TomTom years ago that did exactly that on the approach to Reading so there must be some flaw in the underlying logic they all use.

and if i'd NOT used Google maps to check for issues on the run down to Devon, I would have been 30 mins quicker … none of the roadworks that Google thought had closed junctions were actually closing the junctions, but parts of the diversion Google offered WERE closed. Obviously this was all MY fault in SWMBOs eyes, but I think I've dodged the divorce for now. Whistle

Post #191931126th Feb 2018 7:23 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Of course it's your fault, that's what SWMBOs know. Thumbs Up Laughing

Post #191931426th Feb 2018 7:29 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >