DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 4

My 2013 HSE Lux
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Maxxed_Ross

Scotland 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4
My 2013 HSE Lux

The beginning of a whole new journey!

I'm not stranger to Land Rover having owned 4 Defenders previously and a Freelander 2, but this is my first venture into the "luxuary" side of things 8)

Picked up on Monday from Pentland in Edinburgh

Needs a bit of work as it's had a very hard life... most likely as a school run bus full of kids and dogs Laughing

Outside it looks like it's been washed a few times with buckets of gravel - but it's going back in a few weeks to have some of the paint re-done and the whole thing is getting a machine polish

Projects for me are going to be:

- Replacing the door cards (as they're all very marked at the edges)
- Covering up the light wood with a darker version
- Fitting a twin TransK9 dog cage / drawer system in the back (to accommodate the extra puppy that also arrived at the weekend)
- Doing the post 2014 face lift with signature lights

Also just bought a cubby box fridge for it

It's never had a tow bar fitted, which is good. Unsure if I'll fit one or not as I normally tow with my Defender 90

Hopefully that's all, but you never know
 2013 Discovery 4 HSE Lux | 2001 Defender 90 TD5 | 2007 Prodrive RB320  
Post #192665816th Mar 2018 5:48 am
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Welcome to the forum! From the photos the paintwork looks great....miss my HSE Lux...was a supremely practical car which was loved by all the family! Very Happy

Post #192667216th Mar 2018 7:06 am
Gazellio

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Nice car especially if you got it a good price due to the interior. I just swapped a damaged rear door card in a Freelander 2 PX that came in and it was a lot easier than I expected. Thumbs Up

Post #192667316th Mar 2018 7:21 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Maxxed_Ross

Considering this was a £££££ car when new with all the toys, I'm amazed at how rough it is. Both B pillars are covered in seat belt dents, the interior plastics are more or less all badly damaged (owner must have had plastic fake talons) and every seat has fake tan marks

Outside looks good in the pictures - but it's not

Massive deep scratch from the passenger wing all the way to the rear light, deep scratch on the roof, drivers door, rear drivers side door and a chunk missing from the rear bumper

Also the trim on the drivers door keeps falling off

Going to keep me busy I think Laughing
Post #192722217th Mar 2018 5:03 pm
Maxxed_Ross

Update:

After spending 10 days back with the dealer I've finally got it back again. Since buying it I've only actually driven it 4 times Laughing

So some of the issues have been fixed, some new ones created and some others that need further looking at:

Car has been fully machine polished by Pentland in house and most of the scratches that had me worried are gone - happy days

Was away for aaaaages at a sub-contracted body shop to have the back bumper fixed. They've sort of fixed it, caused more damage, dented the lower tailgate and I have them on video ramming the car into a panel stand to show it out of the way - very very very unhappy days

The drivers side rear screen doesn't seem to work no matter what I try in the options menus or directly with the remote - further investigation required there

The tailgate is almost impossible to shut unless it's slammed hard. Pentland adjusted it but it's not much better - apparently a known issue with them so needs looked at again when it goes back in

6th and 7th seats have gone mouldy because they put the seats back down after shampooing the carpet... hopefully they just need a clean

But on the plus side in the 2 days I had it back before leaving again with work I managed to fit the cubby box fridge and some nice extended leather door cards - both bought from excellent members on here

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Also picked up a used centre console to practice stripping down and for spares, mainly because it has the piano black trim that I want to fit to mine anyway and both my rubber trays in the console are gouged to hell by the previous owners fake nails. Also means I have some spare bits of trim if any become damaged in the future

And finally managed to get the badges updated to the later "Discovery" on the front in grey and a more subtle HSE Luxury badge from the Discovery Sport... you can just see the earlier mentioned dent in that pic too

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #193947324th Apr 2018 10:29 pm
Heath_DA

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Looking better, by the sounds of things Thumbs Up Surprised the dealer didn’t rectify most of the problems prior to putting it up for sale Surprised
 2016 D4 SDV6 Landmark (Gone)
2013 D4 SDV6 HSE Lux (Gone)
2011 D4 SDV6 HSE (Gone)
2008 D3 HSE (Gone)
2005 D3 HSE (Gone) 

Post #193949525th Apr 2018 6:16 am
Oswiperus
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

It's amazing how some people can ruin a vehicles interior in no time at all, they just don't care. At the other end of the spectrum I've just acquired a D4 commercial with 120000 miles on it and the interior is near perfect! It takes allsorts I suppose.
 Stu

2016 D4 Landmark current
2022 Defender D300 SE Gone Sad
D4 2014 XS Commercial - Gone Sad
D4 2016 hse lux montalcino red - Gone
D3 2005 se java black - current
D3 2005 base manual - gone Sad
D2 1999 TD5 E white - current 

Post #193951525th Apr 2018 7:48 am
Maxxed_Ross

I saw the car just after it arrived so hadn't been prepped for sale yet. To be honest I'd rather see it in the worst condition and then take it from there.

It's been used as a school run bus by the looks of things. Stank of dog, front door cards were both chewed up and it's been washed several times with buckets of gravel 😂

I'll get it all sorted though
Post #193961525th Apr 2018 3:07 pm
DaveJLBI

Ireland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Did you strip the lighter wood inserts from the interior, are these going to come up for sale, would be interested.

Post #194013927th Apr 2018 9:38 am
Maxxed_Ross

Yes the full door cards will be going up for sale soon. I've not had a chance to take off the centre console trims yet, so if you're interested send me an offer Wink
Post #194028427th Apr 2018 8:10 pm
Maxxed_Ross

Made some more progress lately

Got word that a local breakers had a freshly crashed D4 in for breaking, so shot along and pinched all the towing electrics off it for a bargain £5 Laughing Plugged it all in and it all works fine with no further coding, which was a nice surprise Very Happy

So the Scottish Land Rover Show ended up being quite an expensive weekend Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Looks so much better with the later front lights now

Managed to get my local independent dealer to switch on the DRL function without any issues and as the car was already fitted with Xenon lights they worked fine as soon as they were fitted

Only issue, that I didn't even realise was going to be an issue, is the flash function. Seems that it only works once the lights are actually on due to the set up for the 2014 lights. I can hear the relay clicking in the car and the light comes on the dash - but nothing come on up front. More investigation required I think Confused

Apart from that really love them

Just need to get the little bumper filler strip now, grille was source from DiscovEric on here, thanks dude! Thumbs Up

On the dealer front:

The whole front end has now been painted and the whole car polished again - so it looks much better now. The dent on the tailgate is still there but Pentland are not going to fix it. I'm a bit annoyed about that and the sales managers attitude about the whole episode Sad

Still needs the drivers seat screen fixing (fault code logged that it has lost communication) and the tail gate still won't shut every time, so that needs looking at again

Had a D5 on loan this time. Nice car to drive, but the inside is tiny after having the D4 (couldn't get a pair of Defender doors and a 90 rear door in the back on the way back from the Scottish Show - most disappointing) and the electric folding seats are total overkill. Still can't get past that fat ass though Laughing

Last edited by Maxxed_Ross on 7th Jun 2018 6:59 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #19514137th Jun 2018 2:53 am
Famousfive

Ukraine 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

your D4 looks great 8) .. .don't suppose in that spares box you have the rear heated seat switch unit do you Whistle Thumbs Up

re light flash - that has been documented on a few threads now - you need to install another relay to get the shutter to open Thumbs Up

Here's a search to get you started - let me know how you get on as I've still got find someone to do mine Big Cry Thumbs Up

http://disco4.com/forum/search.php?search_...rch_time=0
 Stolen - D4 Loire Blue
D4 Bali Blue 

Post #19514407th Jun 2018 8:27 am
Maxxed_Ross

Thanks Thumbs Up

Unfortunately I don't have any for the rear electrics as it was just a basic model... it doesn't even have the Aux port! I do have the stop / start button that I'm tempted to fit to really confuse people though Laughing

I did do a bit of searching and found similar topics to the ones you have. I'm not too keep to go hacking into my wiring loom (we all know what happens when you mess about with LR electrics, so far mine all work Laughing ) so will probably live without it for now. I don't flash anyone now anyway after I flashed a guy out of a junction and the person coming the other way, not indicating to turn, also took the flash and they ran into each other Rolling Eyes

it works fine when the lights are on so that's all I'll need it for anyway Thumbs Up
Post #19517378th Jun 2018 1:57 am
Ali1971

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Nice car ! Same colour as mine and bought from the same place. Mine may have been in better nick by sounds of it !! Although I have found some small tears in the leather but they are hidden. Been two years now since I bought it, tempted to do what you have done with the upgrades just to give it that modern look.

Post #19518838th Jun 2018 2:46 pm
Maxxed_Ross

It was fairly cheap considering the spec so I can't complain too much

I wanted a 2014+ for the looks and extra toys, but all the vehicles around the same price and mileage were a much lower spec. The closest Lux I could find was £5k more with more miles Shocked

Once I've done all the little updates it'll be more or less the same spec as I wanted but only costing around £2k all in - and no stupid stop start or AdBlue Thumbs Up
Post #19520579th Jun 2018 1:41 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >