DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

2017 advice required UK ref gurgling brakes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Tripe

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I think people are missing one thing,

When the servo is full of oil, the first time
You realise it's an issue is when you want to stop and the vehicle doesn't stop as expected, I just about rear ended the in front car.

I took my car to my LR dealer, the service tech, came back shaking after he took it for
A quick drive and experienced having no brakes.

Landrover have a design fault in the braking system
That makes the vehicle intrinsically dangerous to the public and users of the vehicle.

I had no problems with LRA replacing all compromised parts after 10
Years of ownership.

Post #187163723rd Oct 2017 10:05 pm
Sean North

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Keswick GreenDiscovery 4

You aren't wrong - and I suspect I'd have been able to goad LR into making a significant contribution to the costs, given enough of my time and enthusiasm - Ive been there and done that elsewhere, and in hindsight, it's not the most productive way to fill your day/s

Post #187164023rd Oct 2017 10:19 pm
anglefire

England 

Johnny Oxford wrote:
thanks - I opened the pipe halfway across where there is a quick release join, no obvious sign of oil when sticking a cable tie down both ways, perhaps a tiny bit.

I would like to take it off of the master cyclinder and do the same in there, but I am not certain how to remove the pipe from there, I pulled it as hard as I dared - it is joined by some kind of rubber bung.

Can anyone tell me how to safely remove this without damaging it?

Cheers guys

Its just a push fit - lever it out as square as you can to the servo. It is very tight!
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #187166624th Oct 2017 6:15 am
Johnny Oxford

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

UPDATE

I just spoke to Land Rover customer service.

Due to vehicle age (10+ yrs), mileage (115000), the fact that I purchased it privately, and have not had it serviced at a dealership - it is "very unlikely" that they would offer any help.

I also spoke to another local highly respected (ex Land Rover and 30 yrs experience) Indie - and he also told me not to waste time or money with them, he has seen many similar.

I'm annoyed but not surprised.

What p!ssed me off most was that she mentioned "brand loyalty" as being a factor is their discretion to help, which means that it's OK for you to drive around in a potential death trap if you have chosen to use an independent mechanic rather than a main dealer for your servicing.

My only consolation is that I didn't let them fleece me of any cash for the privilege of telling me that I had to foot the bill myself.

I have a funny feeling that a lot of you are driving round with oil in your servo, you just don't know it, check if I were you - pull the pipe off the grommet and dip the servo with a long cable tie).

-----
 2014 D4 HSE Facelift Corris Grey

Previous :

Discovery Sport SE (awful)
56 plate D3 HSE TDV6 Zermatt Silver
Defender 90 200tdi 

Post #187169924th Oct 2017 9:47 am
Sean North

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Keswick GreenDiscovery 4

Welcome to the world of expensive motor vehicles.

Post #187172624th Oct 2017 11:29 am
df_tom

Germany 

Did you ask for getting that answer in written?

If you do the work yourselves, folks:

Beware - i had ordered a master cylinder with one particular mailorder, genuine land rover part, and the mailorder didnt stock it. They had problems sourcing the lhd master cylinder. So they tried to help, and all i got to me looked like a "pre-loved" one!!! - bluebox, part in plastic sack, wet, and obviously sandblasted but still dark parts in the surface.

Now as for master cylinders with this particular design and pack of issues, i'd rather have a new one, thank you. Dealer gladly took it back after explaining to them what kind of an unfortunate decision they made.

So i located and bought one at a backcountry LR stealer's. Now, that one had a "to be used by" date printed on the pristine premium land rover cardboard box. I kid you not!

OEM is a total loss. Them fine fellows list the part as "active part, can be delivered", but none of the german large spare dealers have stock or can order.

The situation is truly in the dumps.

No service kits either. Not being specced, not beind made, not being sold and not planned due to OEM still keeping the vaporware on their "active part" roster.

Post #187187924th Oct 2017 4:46 pm
Johnny Oxford

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Previous :

Defender 90 200tdi 

Post #187188424th Oct 2017 4:57 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Jonny,
It’s not a massive job to change the servo and master cylinder.
But the source is the bit on the engine and changing that is (I believe) a right Censored !

My oil in the servo level was relatively low, and the RRS supercharger servo and a master cylinder (genuine new) I managed to source for less than £100.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #187190124th Oct 2017 5:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Johnny Oxford

thanks mate, I am utterly f***ed off with it to be honest and am close to throwing in the towel and getting rid, much as I love it, can only take so many of these big unexpected bills.

Just for my understanding - if I were to change the servo and cylinder is that it?

I am guessing not, maybe the vacuum pump too? But it is holding vacuum, brakes feel OK.

IF it is necessary to change the vacuum pump, is that not an admission that the heath robinson pipe arrangement does not work? As OK if a pump seal fails then oil could leak, but is the pipe arrangement not to prevent it from being sucked into the servo or cylinder?

Sad

Previous :

Defender 90 200tdi 

Post #187213825th Oct 2017 10:18 am
D3lta

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I bought my car (2006 MY) in April this year privately, within a month I had the gurgling noise and lack of braking. Took it to my local garage to try and get it under my private warranty and they couldn't diagnose the issue. By this time, I knew what the issue was thanks to this forum, spoke with Land Rover Customer Care who asked me to get the car into a dealership.

My PO17 recall had been done a couple of years back apparently, I argued that it mustn't have been done correctly though.

Dealer diagnosed the issue and went to Land Rover for approval. Took them a couple of weeks going back and forth between dealer and LR CC but eventually got approved.

All work (£1300~) done at LR's cost.

Post #18766387th Nov 2017 11:57 am
Johnny Oxford

thanks for that D3LTA - did you have to pay for the initial investigation by the dealer?

Previous :

Defender 90 200tdi 

Post #18767107th Nov 2017 2:14 pm
D3lta

No, didn't pay a penny in the end. When I raised it with LR CC I played on about safety and with it being a known fault with the recall etc they would be liable. Didn't have many issues though getting them to approve other than the length of time it took.

Only real issue I had is that because it was recovered to the garage and not booked in, I couldn't get a courtesy car so had to do without a car for 2-3 weeks.

Post #18767217th Nov 2017 2:45 pm
Johnny Oxford

thanks D3LTA - useful to know. I have contacted them again, as my main gripe with them was that there did not appear to be any logical process in deciding who they help and who they don't - and your situation sounds more or less identical to mine. So the advice is much appreciated.

Previous :

Defender 90 200tdi 

Post #18767407th Nov 2017 3:14 pm
D3lta

No problem. I had read up about people having issues depending on who they spoke to. When you get through to CC its their front office call centre staff who generally can be quite unhelpful. If you get a case registered and speak with a case manager (mine was Melinda if I remember right) then you may have more luck.

In any case, good luck with it!

Post #18767457th Nov 2017 3:21 pm
df_tom

Germany 

Bodsy wrote:

RRS supercharger servo and a master cylinder (genuine new) I managed to source for less than £100.

That would have been the RHD version i assume. Plenty of that available here in Germany as well.

Nevertheless, good to know you can make them fess up to the mess they created.

Did anybody have an idea, how is the situation with Jaguar? Could we use their master cylinder perhaps?

I might eventually have a look at my buddy's Citroen C6, but i doubt theses share the problem, since the C6 runs on hydractive suspension with its own brakes/suspension high pressure hydraulic pump design.

Post #18770128th Nov 2017 6:55 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >