Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

3 ft snow drifts & rising
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
espri

Austria 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Vo Rogue wrote:
The manual says chains to only be used on the Fronts. Why would that be when they are using them on all 4's on a course ?

I wondered about that too. I guess it boils down to practical experience (they use chains on all 4 wheels on Defenders too). We were driving up and down quite steep, rough tracks. When I asked about use on normal roads, say a mountain pass, the instructor suggested that chains on the front would be sufficient.

Eric

Post #454293rd Mar 2006 11:57 am
yamiman

Too heavy

the problem is that Disco 3 is pretty HEAVY, meaning that all that 2.7 tonnes sinks really deep into snow. Therefore when ground is soft, it goes worse than some light Suzuki Vitara or any small and light 4*4.

Now we have some 80 cm snow now here in north so trust me I know (have tried many times) what I'm writing about. Actually 80 cm is much too much also for very light ATV (less than 300 kg weight), see:

[img]http://galleria.sammysatv.com/displayimage.php?album=random&cat=10184&pos=-980[/img]

25-35 cm is fine and OK for Disco 3,
~45-50 cm OK for ATV,
~150 cm OK for long track snowmobiles Razz

Post #454533rd Mar 2006 1:20 pm
randalls

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

well - the 2-3 ft of freshly fallen & drifted snow was fine for the disco 2 to deal with, but now after many more snow falls and a minor thaw during the days - the snow has become compacted under its own weight. This is now causing my disco 2 a problem as its sinking in and the snow is building up at the front of the vehicle. I guess raising the disco 3 air suspension & the 19 inchers will help somewhat with this problem, but the extra weight may counterbalance as stated previously. So now even with the disco 2 I am marooned in the aberdeenshire snowfields - no snow chains!!! so if anybody in a disco 3 wants to have a go at my track let me know LOL.

Post #457315th Mar 2006 5:16 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >