DISCO3.CO.UK > General

30 MPG on a new D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Re: Driving in the Highlands of Scotland Improves Fuel Econo

JMC wrote:
Perhaps we should rename this thread.......

Personally, I reckon it has a lot to do with the lack of congestion and a generally relaxed attitude.

I agree.

I got 35 mpg over 1,500 mixed miles last summer cruising around Ireland, mainly in the 45-65 mph band. 7 up plus lots of luggage. Same when we pootle around Scotland (well the nice bits north of Glasgow=Edinburgh)

Real life around the city seems to give about 26mpg, and long runs at motorway pace gives us ~32mpg.

I'm still very happy with this though- lots better than the petrol V6 Galaxy which the D3 replaced.
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #4893621st Mar 2006 9:54 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I posted this on the thread started by JE on the Tech board, but it goes a long way towards explaining the performance and low mpg I mentioned earlier in this thread:

Robbie wrote:
JE Engineering wrote:

· Discovery 3 / LR3 and Range Rover Sport TDV6 Turbocharger Variable Vane sticking (P Code's P0132-B, P0299, P0234 and P0046)

Ive seen the vane sticking problem myself a few times.

My dealer suggested a couple of weeks ago that my turbo vanes may be sticking, given the delay of power from low-revs. Seemed to think that the issue was very new and had only just been fully understood. Are there any other symptoms that I should be looking for?

I hope it will make Chris from Turbochip rest a little easier, I think I have caused a little head-scratching. Post upgrade my car does 0-60 in about 11 or so seconds. Not much difference from book figures. When he reset it to a ‘standard’ map the car took over 13 seconds and was gutless. The mid-range is almost unaffected and remains very strong with TC upgrade.

I suppose my remap will be wiped by the dealer with such a major patch too. Less than ideal.

Hey ho.

Post #4894121st Mar 2006 10:22 am
stuart27

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Reading these posts with interest....and surprise. My TDV6 AUTO is only 3 weeks old and has about 550 miles on the clock. The mpg is creeping up slowly , but so far I'm only getting around 22mpg. I'm sure it will improve, but I don't see me getting the kinds of figures quoted. I don't thrash the car either and would expect better with my driving style. Just hope it improves!

Post #4898021st Mar 2006 12:48 pm
Nickhearne

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

May be it is the lack of weight with out 5 seats in the back?
 Range Rover Sport Estate 2.0 P400e Hse Dynamic Black
D4 HSE Santorini Black
Almond Arabica hide & Walnut trim Now sold
Discovery 3 TDV6 SE
Zambezi Silver Ebony leather Now sold 

Post #4900121st Mar 2006 2:29 pm
espri

Austria 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

After the first ten days of my new HSE's life (and the panic I mentioned in another thread about the quickly dropping fuel gauge needle) I found how to read the fuel consumption figures on the display. For around 1100 kms it reported 10.9 litres / 100 kms (just under 26mpg); that was a trip to Austria and then driving around in the mountains, two up with ski gear.

This morning on the way to work I reset the readings and by the evening, about a 100 kms later, it was reporting 9,5 litres / 100kms (about 29,5 mpg). That was mostly relatively flat motorway, cruising at 120 km/h (75 mph). That doesn't seem too bad to me and has certainly rather settled my worries about fuel consumption. It is roughly the same as I was getting on my VW Caravelle.

Eric

Post #4910121st Mar 2006 9:14 pm
Kieron

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Gareth wrote:
I am thinking that the engine tune for the 06 is different. I cannot better an average of 24.9. That is as good as it gets for me over 1000's of miles. I can get a short term tank average of 27 ish, but the vehicle average is stubborn.

Yesterday as I left Stonehenge, I pulled out of the lane behind a black 06 reg TDV6 HSE. (I presume it was an auto like mine.) When we got to the dual carriageway, I thought I would blast him and show him my DISCO3.CO.UK sticker, but he had other ideas Crying or Very sad and I could not not pass him.

Now this tells me that either I am imagining the loosening up of my car after 40k miles, or the 06 I saw is either chipped or the standard tune is different. It did not smoke either, unlike many other D3's I see.

The only mitigating circumstance is that he was two up, I was five up with lots of luggage, and probably a fair few kilo's of Salisbury's finest Razz

Hi Gareth

That was me you were behind Smile Nice to finally meet another forum member all be it from inside the cars. The car has not been chipped or modified and I had a load of electronic kit in the back which I was trying to be carefully not to damage so didn't have foot to floor but that turning back onto the A303 from Stonehenge is a nasty one. I live just around the corner and it was my first weekend out in the car since getting it back from its less than impressive start but so far have not had a problem with the motor and loving every min I spend in it.

As for the MPG its stuck on 24.1 at the moment having slowly increased from 20.3 when I first got it back a week before. I've not reset it yet and most of my driving is done on the A303 and A34 at a steady 60-70mph .. I hope it does get better with time although its not moved from 24.1 for a few days.

Hope you enjoyed the stones! Smile
 I don't dance but I do Disco  
Post #4924822nd Mar 2006 10:21 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Hi Kieron, you must get a sticker! and your car is quick Crying or Very sad .

Maybe mine was complaining about the mud, when I got home I had to remove the grille and hose out the rad/intercooler, There was a lot of Wiltshire Grass in there (NOT supplied by Mav or VA I must add). This could possibly explain my lack of performance.

Post #4947722nd Mar 2006 11:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >