Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Discovery 5 - L462

4 pot or 6?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 6 <123456
simonej

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I'd be going petrol as well! I know diesels are pretty good these days but the vibrations at idle are still very evident with them. I think diesel drivers just get used to it and it's only when you sit in a super smooth petrol engined car that you realise just how rattly diesel engines still are! Horrible things, although I appreciate they're better for towing and economy.

With regards to the 4 cylinder diesel, I don't think the power output will be an issue. They 'go' perfectly well in the DS and the increased power in the D5 will be ample. It's the way it delivers the power that's the problem for me, presumably because it's relying on the turbo to do most of the work? I just find you feel disconnected from the engine - you put your foot down a little and there's a fraction of a second delay while nothing happens and then you get a huge surge once the turbos deliver the power (not like you used to get with old VW engines in the early 2000s though). They just don't feel linear and responsive to throttle input, despite being powerful(ish). And then there's the noise they make! Most users probably don't care about any of this though, in fact many like that surge you get with a small turbo diesel as it makes it feel more powerful.

Post #173899024th Nov 2016 2:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 6 <123456
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >