Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

4WD tracks in victoria
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Baybers

Saudi Arabia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
4WD tracks in victoria

having bought this beast, I have discovered that I don't know any good 4wd tracks to take it on.

does anyone have any favorite roads, country or tracks that would be ideal for the LR3 ?

Post #4020831st Jan 2006 8:31 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 
Re: 4WD tracks in victoria

Baybers wrote:
having bought this beast, I have discovered that I don't know any good 4wd tracks to take it on.

does anyone have any favorite roads, country or tracks that would be ideal for the LR3 ?

I know a few good ones, but you will have to come to Wales Smile
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #4020931st Jan 2006 8:48 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Baybers wrote:

I guess you mean Victoria Australia. Your flag show Saudi Arabia Wink

It all depends on what tye of 4WDing you like. Is this the first 4WD you have bought? I ask this only because if you have had previous 4WD's then I'm sure you would have tried it out on the numerous areas in Victoria that you really need a 4WD.

The D3 with standard road tyres will generally tackle most terrain - loose dirt, ruts, rocky but with caution due to easy tyre damage compared to AT or MT tyres. I did 2 trips on the Goodyear Wranglers before changing wheels and tyres to Cooper ST's. The most difficult tracks at that time on the road tyres were Blue Rag Tk (near Mt Hotham) and Mt Wellington Tk which are very rocky. Blue Rag Tk is very steep nearing the summit. One Wrangler and rim came to grief on the Mt Wellington Tk with a big bang on a rock and gouge out of the rim and sidewall. In really muddy conditions the tyres will let you down. Think of slicks which is what they will turn into in thick sticky mud/clay.

There is plenty of easy to hard core stuff in the Narbethong/Toolangi/Murrundindi forests near Healesville. Just go and pick up any 4WD trip book in a bookshop. You will find day trips right through to longer camping trips in Victoria.

If you are into sight seeing then you cannot go past the Victorian High Country and the easiest access point is via Mansfield. There are so many tracks leading to great views that you couldn't list them here.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #4021231st Jan 2006 10:17 am
Baybers

Saudi Arabia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

thanks andrew and PCH

I would love to go to wales and try them out, perhaps some other time in the future.
I might try some of the more girly tracks first on standard road tyres. There are some good ones i just found on the tourism victoria website

Post #403181st Feb 2006 3:59 am
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Baybers - just saw your post, and although winter is not the time for them - there are some great tracks that start/finish in Mansfield that would be really good for a standard D3 too. Longer trips, with overnight stop-overs if you want, or just day trips.

http://www.howquaholidays.com.au/media/4wdtours.pdf

has details and directions.

cheers,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #561413rd May 2006 12:29 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bill

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Baybers wrote:

As PCH as mentioned,just North of Yarra Glen is the Toolangi State forest. You can go from basic dirt tracks to difficult 4x4 tracks. Watch out for Motor bikes and other 4x4's as it can get busy.
Another great trip is past Mansfield,camp overnight at "sheepyard Flats" (allow 2.5 hours from Melbourne). From here you can venture up to the likes of Lovicks hut or across to Mt Sterling to see "the Man from Snowey river" mockup hut. None of the area is real difficult and great for a family outing. Get yourself a good map .
 Wlar  
Post #561483rd May 2006 3:04 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Vo Rogue

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

There is also Wombat State Forest/Lerderderg State Park area in and around Blackwood and Trentham.

Varies from easy (a lot is normal 2WD country) to totally impassable when wet and has an advantage that at the moment Forestry are doing a big set of Autumn Fuel Burns so many of the tracks have been recently bulldozed or graded for access.

Post #561603rd May 2006 7:07 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >