Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > North America & LR3/4

4x4 hire from Las Vegas for OFF-ROADING?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
747_JK

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
4x4 hire from Las Vegas for OFF-ROADING?

Just finished another amazing two days in Death Valley National Park - one of my fave places in the world (second only to Moab). This time, instead of taking the Avis SUV down the back-country roads to old abandoned mines and ghost towns etc, we took a proper modified Jeep Rubicon from Farabee's Jeep Hire in the Park. Well worth it - we got to see some really remote places - and all without the worry of whether Avis' 'on-road' set of boots would survive the journey. (and OK, I'd much have preferred to have been in a LR - but there weren't any of those for hire!)

But my question is this: is there anywhere in Las Vegas, or close to McCarran Int, which will hire a 4x4 for genuine off-roading? Next year I'd like to go back for another weekend of back-country exploring, but instead of doing the back-roads in the Park, I'd like to see more of the old mining remains and 4x4 tracks over near Area 51 and around Southern Nevada (which would make it pretty inconvenient to have to start over at Death Valley, just to get the Jeep - not to mention put me over the 200 mile daily limit which Farabees offer).

But I'd really like to do it in a proper 4x4 / SUV with off-road tyres, not break the Avis rental agreement and hope for the best! Have done that too many times before!

Advice much appreciated?

Cheers

PS - dont want to sound anti-social, but I am not looking to join an organised 4x4 tour or anything of that nature. I like to explore out there on my own, with my Dad (its an annual boys trip) - to our agenda - not as part of a group...

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 747_JK
"Moab is my happy place"
2019 Land Rover Discovery 5 HSE
2015 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - SOLD
2010 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE with a serious smoking habit - SOLD 

Post #90857812th Mar 2012 10:04 pm
Ianross69

Norway 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Im just back from Nevada last week. I never done any off road but i did hire a 300hp Mustang convertible 8)

I visited death valley and while i was there just up from the tourist centre i noticed that there were 4x4 jeeps for hire there.

I will do some checking and get back to you if I find any more info

Ian

Post #90858112th Mar 2012 10:07 pm
747_JK

Ianross69 wrote:
I visited death valley and while i was there just up from the tourist centre i noticed that there were 4x4 jeeps for hire there.

I will do some checking and get back to you if I find any more info

Ian

Yes - that's Farabees Jeep Rental, where I hired from 10 days ago too. But when I go back I want to explore outside of the park (several hundred miles away), and so it isnt really going to be practical for a short trip to hire from Death Valley. We ideally want to pick-up in Vegas and head straight out from there...

Isn't Death Valley just amazing though. Truly truly amazing!
 747_JK
"Moab is my happy place"

Post #90858412th Mar 2012 10:10 pm
Ianross69

ooops,, i just saw the bottom of your post. I guess you dont want the jeep from Death Valley then Embarassed

Post #90858612th Mar 2012 10:12 pm
Ianross69

It was an amazing place, I was in vegas for 7 nights and i took 1200 pictures.. and they say the japs are bad with a camera Laughing

Post #90859012th Mar 2012 10:14 pm
747_JK

Ianross69 wrote:
It was an amazing place, I was in vegas for 7 nights and i took 1200 pictures.. and they say the japs are bad with a camera Laughing

7 nights - you lucky s*d! I flew out on Wednesday morning, got to Vegas at 7pm, drove to Death Valley and was there for just before 10pm - @ Furnace Creek Rank. Picked up the Jeep at 8am on the Thursday and had all day Thursday and Friday exploring the Park (my 5th visit). Friday night drove back to Vegas late, stayed at an airport motel (not time for the Strip experience this time around), and Saturday morning flew home. It really was a flying visit!

Cant wait to go back. You cant beat that part of America for back-country exploring!
 747_JK
"Moab is my happy place"

Post #90859612th Mar 2012 10:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >