DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

ACC (adaptive Cruise Control) Retrofit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 9 of 19 <123 ... 8910 ... 171819>
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hiya Guys
Sorry to have been MIA on this for so long, I can take a hint Ian Wink, but honestly I really have had my hands full with so much stuff, Steering wheels, Can Lock and CAN BUS on Nanocom to name but three, I really have not had much time to progress further with this particular side project.
And to be fair, although everyone knows I love my modding and side projects as much as anyone, this obviously has to take a back stage to paying the bills Thumbs Up

One of the reasons I have not been able to progress much with attempting to add ACC to a D3 especially, is that as of about 18 Months ago I went over to a 2010 RRS (Technically the same as a D4).

However with my not managing to get the D3 retrofit working as it should, for a number of possible reasons I could not figure, the new vehicle gave me a new angle that might possibly help me figure out why.

So I ordered a new ACC ECU for the RRS/D4 along with the proper brackets for mounting the ECU and sensor. I wanted to mount the sensor in the OEM place to rule out that as a possibility and with what L4FIROP states.
Quote:
it has to be mounted on the driver side approx 16 inches from the road surface.

That does sound like one good reason I could not get it to calibrate on a D3

However supply problems saw over 6 months pass before TLO eventually managed to get me one.
Many thanks TLO, you are a star.

I then waited until a few months ago, because I decide it would be easier to at least fit the sensor and wiring to it at the same time that I removed the Front Bumper to have some Paint work done.

Imagine my surprize when behind the Bumper I found the wiring and connector for the Sensor already present on my 2010 RRS HSE.

Click image to enlarge

This was even more surprizing because we have a full 2011 RRS HSE wiring loom we use for a test rig that does not have this or any ACC connector present.

This made fitting the Bracket and Sensor a formality.

Click image to enlarge

Using the lower adjustable screw on the lower left and a spirit level, which is what this special tool is, against the front facing left hand side metal edge, with the vehicle on a level surface, I adjusted the sensor to be spot on vertical.

With the painting and re assembly etc, it was a few weeks before I got to a chance to fit the ECU.

Sure enough when I pulled off the Drivers front kick panel, there was the bright Yellow / orange ACC ECU connector wrapped in foam.

Click image to enlarge

The ACC ECU has to be fitted in the Recess of the A piller behind this wiring and ECU
Click image to enlarge

Once the retaining bolts for this ECU are undone a little, the ECU can be wriggled out revealing the Keyhole shaped hole for the single bolt that holds the ACC ECU in place.

Click image to enlarge

You also have to disconnect pretty much all the connectors and pull them from their mountings to move the looms aside and get the room required to put the ECU and bracket in place.

Click image to enlarge

Then you refit the ECU
Click image to enlarge

And remake / remount all the connectors.
Click image to enlarge

With all the Physical and electrical stuff properly and fully taken care of beyond doubt, and with the ACC now showing up diagnostically, it really should have been a formality to do a bit of CCF editing, and get the ACC working.

However after several tries at changing the various and most obvious settings over the next few weeks, and some odd configuration fault codes, I still could not get the system to calibrate using the Calibrate function.

This was of course very frustrating and I was clearly missing something.
Clearly my vehicle was wired for ACC as an option and so this should be possible to set in the CCF.

In the end I turned to Genesis.
And this is where i may be of best help for you L4FIROP
I simply used a VIN Number for an equivilent vehicle that had ACC fitted, and noted the exact percentage value for the most obvious settings that must be changed and looked for any setting that had the same percentage differential.

I found no less than seven, even although some seemed odd.
I changed all of these in my CCF and a few days later re attemted to calibrate the sensor as I had done so many times before, driving past a row of metal railings twice which from two previous experences on Vehicle with factory fitted ACC had been sufficient to achieve a sucessful calibration . Low and behold the ACC light went off, and after performing the final IGN off period before turning it back on, the ACC system was now fully operational and is quite some fun to use.

Here is a picture of a page that shows the relevent changes I had to make, based on Genesis comparison between my current and As Built CCF settings, with all the ACC related ones are highlighted with a Red X.

Click image to enlarge

Otherwise you can see that I have also updated some ECU's, fitted, steering wheel mounted gear shift switches (AKA flappy Paddles) as well as a Towbar and larger 22 inch rims.
Nice to get the road speed being correctly calculated.

Beyond learning many reasons why I might have previously failed with my attempts on the D3, which was, as previously stated my intent, I also learned that It would have actually been much easier if I had been able to use Genesis to compare CCF's between two different vehicles.
Hence I commissioned having that capability added to Genesis which it was a short while ago.

Hopefully this success, experience and knowledge will assist you getting this sorted and fully on your D3 L4FIROP. If i can assist further, please do not hesitate to ask

ATB

Colin

Post #141791231st Jan 2015 6:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #141792131st Jan 2015 7:04 pm
L4FIROP

United States 2009 Discovery 4 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Colin, thanks for your details information on the install on your RRS. I too have a Sport its an 09 LHD US market model. I am now inspired to pull the bumper off a little earlier to see if the Sensor cable is there and also hunt around for the Foam Clad Yellow connector.

I think I may have already spotted it when I was poking around removing the Stability control ECU I will pull it out again tomorrow and confirm its existence.

My Question is should the Nanocom Evolution see the ECU ? and if so should it appear in the list of ECU's to be reset.

I did hear that there was intent to add ACC calibration to the Evolution is there any news on this ?

Post #14181161st Feb 2015 3:44 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

L4FIROP:
It's easier to pull off the kick panel and look for the Orange ECU connector and if it is there then the Sensor one is highly unlikely to be missing.

Quote:
should the Nanocom Evolution see the ECU ?

Interesting question and I don't mind telling you that this caught even me out Embarassed

The Nanocom Evolution coverage of CAN BUS vehicles is specifically designed to be much smarter and therefore easier to use than any other diagnostic system has ever been, hence when you plug it into a vehicle, it first runs the Vehicle detect function that figures out what vehicle it is connected to along with all the specifications including engine type and fitted ECU options and then uses this information to populate menus and provide only relevant options.

This was however a bit slow and was being re performed so often that it was really quite annoying.

So we implimented a host of improvements, one of which was to store a cache of the relevent spec and options of the last few vehicles the Nanocom had been connected to. Once the Nanocom reads the VIN of a connected vehicle it checks to see if it has stored details for it and if so, uses these details rather than re interrogate the vehicle, making the Vehicle Detect function vastly faster.

However, if you change a previously connected to vehicle's Spec, by adding a new system like ACC, the Nanocom would not know this and use its stored spec.

So we provided a function to clear the stored cache.

If you visit http://www.nanocom-diagnostics.com/
Select the Emulator option, then on the main menu select the Green arrow pointing to the Right, then the Nanocom button, then Applications, Vin Tool, and finally Clear Cache, this will cause the Nanocom to re detect your vehicles spec and options, including the newly added ACC ECU,
Worked as it should for me Thumbs Up

Regards news on the ACC radar sensor re calibration function being added to the Nanocom. As I leave individual function developments to my tech team, I personally cannot give you any news on this and would advise you ask them directly via the dedicated Nanocom support forum.

What I can tell you is that I believe that if I had previously known what settings I needed to change in the CCF, and using a second hand sensor that had already been calibrated, I do not believe that I would have have absolutely needed to re perform a calibration at all.

Post #14184071st Feb 2015 5:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
L4FIROP

Well looked in the LH Footwell and no connector, however I did Clear the Cache and Pouf there is Speed Control ECU. I have not got the Sensor array installed yet I was waiting for the Connector and the Bumper to arrive from Land Rover sometime next week I am hoping. But good news seeing the ECU there in the list.

Post #14191822nd Feb 2015 9:37 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Sorry you do not see/ have the connector present L4FIROP

No Magic involved re the Nanocom, just a lot of hard work and effort working correctly Wink

From reading your post, i get the impression you are getting the Sensors Connector from LR, can you Confirm / Elaborate on this.

ATB

Colin

Post #14203794th Feb 2015 7:40 pm
L4FIROP

Sensor Connector

Yes I did buy the connector from Land Rover however all you get is the Shell. NO Pins, I mean what use is a connector with no Pins and I waited two weeks for this. Totally Ridiculous.

Part Number is YPC801300

I am temporarily using the pins from a 9008 connector but they do not fit in the shell but do make connection.

I did finally see the ECU and its firmware but the Sensor although seen I get no calibration data from the prior calibrations so I will need the Calibration routine for the Evolution
 I own a RRS-SC MY09 4.2  
Post #14203844th Feb 2015 7:44 pm
Streffie

2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Does any one have any part numbers for this mod ?

Post #162338310th Mar 2016 10:07 pm
Kimi

I'm currently looking for used RRS, but adaptive cruise seems very rare. Found this nice write up, but some questions remain.

Is this doable even if RRS doesn't have connectors per-installed? I assume various wire looms are needed then. Are these wire looms available or do they need to be crafted? What about parts, are they interchangeable between LHD and RHD cars? Especially the sensor worries me if it is directional somehow. Any other expected differences between LHD and RHD install?

Post #17448836th Dec 2016 2:13 pm
Ljwilson1

Australia 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Adaptive Cruise Control to 2016 D4

This is a revisit. Is Adaptive Cruise Control available and able to be fitted to 2016 D4. and what would be the cost to enable it, which includes the steering control unit the same as the current set-up as the factory fit?

Post #180684123rd Apr 2017 1:43 am
James1974

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

Just trying this myself but cannot find CMbB in the ccf config files and where
 Disco 3 gone but not forGotten
Welcome disco 4
Flappy paddles working from gap
Heated steering wheel done
Bluetooth iPod connection done
Xeon lights (facelift) done
Afs retrofit done
Logic 7 retrofit done
Armrest fridge
Facelift rear lights
Retrofit High beam assist done
Genuine 22” Range Rover sport alloys
Retrofit acc (gave up not possible)
retrofit tpms done
Retrofit Range Rover lcd digital dash. Done
Retrofit blind spot assist done 

Post #19820369th Sep 2018 9:10 pm
co77on

United Kingdom 

Hi guys. This looks like some good work!

I have a 2012 RRS but it’s missing the ACC option. It was a ‘like to have’ option and not worth passing on the car for but it’s a good toy I’ve had before. I might have a go at this. Unfortunatly I’ve taken the kick plate off and it looks like mine isn’t prewired for it unless that yellow connector is hiding really well. Guess I’ll have to make a loom up...

Post #20058113rd Dec 2018 10:22 pm
francescor75

Italy 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi guys

I read all 9 pages of this post. I am interested to do this retrofit and I have already found all the necessary parts (radar, ECU, wiring, radar bracket, steering wheel controls, central controls)

I have two questions to ask:

1) can this modification be done in a discovery 3?

2) if you can do on a discovery 3 where you have to connect the cables of the ecu?

thank you

Post #202813913th Feb 2019 3:59 pm
James1974

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

I don’t beleave it can
 Disco 3 gone but not forGotten
Welcome disco 4
Flappy paddles working from gap
Heated steering wheel done
Bluetooth iPod connection done
Xeon lights (facelift) done
Afs retrofit done
Logic 7 retrofit done
Armrest fridge
Facelift rear lights
Retrofit High beam assist done
Genuine 22” Range Rover sport alloys
Retrofit acc (gave up not possible)
retrofit tpms done
Retrofit Range Rover lcd digital dash. Done
Retrofit blind spot assist done 

Post #202814613th Feb 2019 4:17 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I'll be attempting it as part of my TDV8 swap Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #202815413th Feb 2019 4:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 9 of 19 <123 ... 8910 ... 171819>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >