Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Activating AFS headlamps on Disco 4, 2011 SDV6 HSE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
jerryl

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4
Activating AFS headlamps on Disco 4, 2011 SDV6 HSE

My 2011 disco 4 was fitted with Xenon headlights with Halogen high beam and blanks in the cornering light space. The Xenon's were static and not bending like my old Disco 3 ones and obviously with blanks in the spaces the cornering lights were inoperable so I've upgraded to the same headlamp units but which have cornering lights and AFS ability fitted. The units are new.

We've fitted them and they work as normal but the bendy lights don't work and neither do the cornering lights. I thought perhaps I needed an AFS Headlamp Module so have bought a used one from a similar model. Trouble is I've no idea where it is supposed to be installed, or even if the loom on my car has plugs for it.

Any advice would be gratefully received and apologies in advance for being a numpty..

Post #189155318th Dec 2017 12:55 pm
Erea

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Welcome to this site. I don’t know about the D4 but on the D3 to get cornering lights to work the CCF needs updating very simple five minute job with an IID tool. Getting the bend lights to bend.... well that’s a whole and other different story. D3’s that didn’t have Adaptive lights from new are missing the wires for that and it’s a job to fit. so maybe take a look at the plug that plugs into the lights and see are there any wires missing on the car side, as yours is a HSE you might be lucky and have the loom fitted. I’m sure a few D4 owners here will be of help soon.

Post #189157018th Dec 2017 1:38 pm
jerryl

Thanks for that. I don't even know where the AFS Headlamp Module is supposed to be plugged in which doesn't help much! If I did I could look and see if the plugs are there for it or not.

Post #189157118th Dec 2017 1:51 pm
Erea

Start with the plugs on the back of the lights and see if all the wires are there. How many pins on the plug and how many wires. As regards the AFS modules you’ll need the wires first and on a D3 to Retrofit the module one poster here description of plugging it in was something on the lines of “hard enough to make a Nun curse” search here for Retrofit AFS or Adaptive but make sure it’s D4 not D3 and model year will also affect D4

Post #189157718th Dec 2017 2:08 pm
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

The general consensus over the years has been that retrofitting AFS is extremely difficult. I don't think I can recall anyone on the forum having done it on a D4.

Should be able to get the cornering lights to work with a ccf edit as already said. Cornering lights are not controlled by the AFS control unit on their own so you don't need the unit for just cornering ligts but if AFS is fitted then the cornering ligts are controlled by the AFS ECU as well.

Post #189158318th Dec 2017 2:21 pm
discoteca

AFS ECU is item 16 in this diagram. I'd be very surprised if any of the wires were there for it. Although not clear in the diagram it's at the bottom of the A pillar.

Post #189158818th Dec 2017 2:37 pm
jerryl

Thanks for that. We've had a good look for the AFS Module (16 in your diagram), and there's no sign of it unless its particularly well hidden down there at the bottom of the A Pillar. I'm guessing it's a UK diagram so it's the drivers side A Pillar, not that we can find it on the other side either!

Might have to forgo the bendy lights and just see if I can get someone to enable the cornering lights by the look of it.

Post #189228520th Dec 2017 12:37 am
Erea

There certainly won’t be an AFS module fitted to a car that doesn’t have Adaptive lights, there is a chance the wires might be there as yours is a HSE, have you looked yet for the wires out front at the lights?

Post #189229620th Dec 2017 1:28 am
discoteca

As said above, no chance of the module being there in a non AFS car. Picture was more so that you could look and see if the connectors were there. I'd be really surprised if any of the AFS loom is present, it's an awful lot of wiring to do if it isn't.

Found a better picture of where it is apparently located, this would suggest it's on the passenger side.

Post #189234120th Dec 2017 10:41 am
jerryl

Well that clarifies the situation somewhat.
There are 10 wires to the plug which has a possible 16 places.
The new lights have 15 pins out of 16 possibles.

So, sadly it looks like you are bang on the money because if the wires aren't there then they won't work will they!

I am told that the cornering lights can be made to work. We have marked them as fitted on my cousins fancy LR Diagnostic box but they still don't work.

Would I be right in assuming that they, like the bending lights are victims of the missing wires?

Post #189234220th Dec 2017 10:47 am
discoteca

I recall some debate about the fact that some D4s without cornering lights had the cornering lamp wires and some didn't.

The cornering lamp is fed by pin 4 of the plug which should be a red wire if present (on both sides). This wire goes back to a FET in the central junction box.

Post #189235420th Dec 2017 11:04 am
jerryl

There is a red in pin 4 (assuming we count from the top down), so maybe we're just not entering the details in the big blue diagnostic box properly.

Post #189235820th Dec 2017 11:14 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Have I got this right, to get the cornering lights to come on it’s a case of bung a couple of bulbs in the bits that don’t have any and switch it on with the IID?

Post #189236120th Dec 2017 11:21 am
discoteca

Maybe, there is more than one configuration parameter for cornering lamps from memory. The ground for the cornering lamp is on pin 16.
How are you testing them?

Post #189236320th Dec 2017 11:21 am
discoteca

DSL wrote:
Have I got this right, to get the cornering lights to come on it’s a case of bung a couple of bulbs in the bits that don’t have any and switch it on with the IID?

Depends whether the wires are there or not which is the debate we are just having. The OP purchased new lights, not sure if you can shoe horn them in on a D4 like you can on a D3 or not.

Whatever it will be more than putting bulbs in, the D4 lights don't have the bulb holders present or the wires inside the light.

Post #189236720th Dec 2017 11:24 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >