Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Active Differential-a technical explanation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
PCrover

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

I agree Bodsy, I would not leave it activated for extended periods of time unless I was sure it could take it. I don't think I would use a timer, just some sort of big light to remind me it was locked.
 Gary
'06 LR3
'94 D90 

Post #13227822nd Feb 2007 6:26 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

MikeH,
All the info you require is available on the GTR link Slimer posted above, maybe you should buy a day's access and browse the service information section?
To give you an idea of what's available:-
Quote:
The multi-plate clutch assembly for both centre and rear differentials act in a similar way. The aim of the multi-plate clutch assembly is to prevent excessive differential slip and therefore maximise the traction performance of the vehicle. This is fundamentally different from the 'braked' traction control, which can only counter act differential slip when it occurs.

A certain amount of differential slip is required to allow the vehicle to turn corners and to remain stable under control of the Anti-lock Braking System (ABS). The transfer box control module monitors the driver's demands through primary vehicle controls and automatically sets the slip torque at the differentials. The system is completely automatic and does not require any special driver input.

The multi-plate clutch assembly actively controls the torque flow through the centre differential and optimises the torque distribution in the driveline. The clutch assembly biases the torque from the transmission to the axle and wheels with the higher grip and prevents the wheels with the lower grip from spinning.

The multi-plate clutch assembly comprises the sprocket (7), which is connected to the front differential side gear, the motor levers (5) with the ball ramp mechanism (6), the clutch hub (1) as support for the clutch plates (3), the clutch piston (4) to generate friction between the clutch plates, and a pack of cup springs (2) to return the clutch piston into its original position.

One set of friction plates are connected to the clutch hub; the other set of friction plates are connected to the multi-plate clutch basket, which is welded to the centre differential housing.

TBH, the lack of technical info here is mainly for a couple of reasons, the main one is that most people don't care how it works - but just know it does Wink the other reason is that LR would get their collective knickers in a twist if great swathes of copyrighted info was reproduced in it's entirety on here....

Post #13229222nd Feb 2007 6:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JamesWyatt

United States 2006 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

I heard from my dealer that they have been having problems with the diff lock mechanism bringing in people for service. Does the added complexity of the system add or detract from ability of the rear diff to sustain punishment?

Post #13244622nd Feb 2007 11:56 pm
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

JamesWyatt wrote:
I heard from my dealer that they have been having problems with the diff lock mechanism bringing in people for service. Does the added complexity of the system add or detract from ability of the rear diff to sustain punishment?

I know a few people who have experienced problems. It seems to be an electrical issue, and a warning message is displayed. In the few cases I heard about, the electrical harness was the culprit, and the mechanical elements of the system were fine. This includes one whose system was engaged for a prolonged period of time.

Post #13244723rd Feb 2007 12:03 am
JamesWyatt

That makes sense about the harness. Losing the ability to lock it on the trail would be more of a problem in my book than losing the ability to unlock it. I suppose that like the rest of the D3, the ability to go farther sometimes increases the risk of failure due to electronics and complexity.

After reading the tech explanation in this thread, I find it interesting that what Land Rover calls a diff "lock" is actually an electronically-controlled limited-slip. Effective, but not a true locker. I wonder to what percentage of full lock that the D3 rear lock can go. I wonder if it is engineered this way in order to avoid problems if a rear tire is caught between rocks (the way an ARB-equipped rear can break a D2 axle).

Post #13245223rd Feb 2007 12:29 am
JamesWyatt

Would I be correct to assume that the center diff lock operates in the same fashion? Not a simple lock or unlocked, but variable?

Post #13245723rd Feb 2007 12:43 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Yes Thumbs Up
 The End  
Post #13250223rd Feb 2007 11:00 am
MikeH

United Kingdom 

Slimer wrote:
Mike, TFC isn't around much at the mo but I suspect he'll be able to give you an sensible answer or two, meanwhile I'll see what I can dig out for you.
Have you looked on GTR?
Take a look at the cutaway photos here and especially here which may help a little to answer some of your questions

Fantastic links Slimer, thank you very much indeed

Mike

Post #13262223rd Feb 2007 7:10 pm
MikeH

United Kingdom 

dickgriff wrote:
Also.... have a read of this Land Rover US patent I found. I'm not so sure it will answer your question to the extent you require but nevertheless, it has some interesting info concerning the traction control system.

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT675...ck#PPP1,M1

Thanks for that dickgriff-There is no connection to the differential so presumably this is what I would call a passive system such as traction control where the wheel with least traction is braked to bias torque output to the opposite side of the diff. Braking to transfer torque is a bit negative as it retards progress, the active diff progressively stiffens up the torque transfer ratio from within the diff so that it can be transferred to the wheel with greater traction.

All the best in Switzerland

Mike

Post #13262823rd Feb 2007 7:27 pm
MikeH

United Kingdom 
Cutaway Mike

Mike,
Thank you very much for your excellent input-what a fantastic job your Company does. I am now much nearer understanding the operational mechanism of the active diff (not totally there though!)

By the way-I could make much of the video at all-is that me or is it the quality of the media?

Once again thanks

Mike

Post #13263223rd Feb 2007 7:52 pm
MikeH

United Kingdom 

10forcash wrote:
MikeH,
All the info you require is available on the GTR link Slimer posted above, maybe you should buy a day's access and browse the service information section?
To give you an idea of what's available:-
Quote:
The multi-plate clutch assembly for both centre and rear differentials act in a similar way. The aim of the multi-plate clutch assembly is to prevent excessive differential slip and therefore maximise the traction performance of the vehicle. This is fundamentally different from the 'braked' traction control, which can only counter act differential slip when it occurs.

A certain amount of differential slip is required to allow the vehicle to turn corners and to remain stable under control of the Anti-lock Braking System (ABS). The transfer box control module monitors the driver's demands through primary vehicle controls and automatically sets the slip torque at the differentials. The system is completely automatic and does not require any special driver input.

The multi-plate clutch assembly actively controls the torque flow through the centre differential and optimises the torque distribution in the driveline. The clutch assembly biases the torque from the transmission to the axle and wheels with the higher grip and prevents the wheels with the lower grip from spinning.

The multi-plate clutch assembly comprises the sprocket (7), which is connected to the front differential side gear, the motor levers (5) with the ball ramp mechanism (6), the clutch hub (1) as support for the clutch plates (3), the clutch piston (4) to generate friction between the clutch plates, and a pack of cup springs (2) to return the clutch piston into its original position.

One set of friction plates are connected to the clutch hub; the other set of friction plates are connected to the multi-plate clutch basket, which is welded to the centre differential housing.

TBH, the lack of technical info here is mainly for a couple of reasons, the main one is that most people don't care how it works - but just know it does Wink the other reason is that LR would get their collective knickers in a twist if great swathes of copyrighted info was reproduced in it's entirety on here....

Excellent information 10for cash, thanks very much. How do you access this database?

Mike

Post #13263323rd Feb 2007 8:03 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Mile, it's from http://www.landrovertechinfo.com access isn't free but you can sign up for short periods fairly cheaply
 The End 

Last edited by Slimer on 23rd Feb 2007 8:23 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #13263423rd Feb 2007 8:11 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Who is Mile?

Post #13263623rd Feb 2007 8:17 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Dunno what you're talking about Whistle
 The End  
Post #13264023rd Feb 2007 8:23 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Lives with Rick Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #13264223rd Feb 2007 8:32 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >