Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Active Differential-a technical explanation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
MikeH

United Kingdom 
Active Differential-a technical explanation

I would appreciate an explanation of how the active differential works. I have tried to search on this site but have not turned up any answers that convey the mechanical principle-perhaps it is my rubbish search technique?

Looking at historic pictures posted it appears that there is an electric motor/actuator mounted above the rear diff-is this powering a mechanical linkage to compress a wet plate clutch within the diff? or is it powering a hydraulic pump to do the same? Clearly the active diff is not a dog clutch mechanism as in a normal diff lock-am I correct in assuming that there is a wet clutch pack? A plate clutch would be progressive & variable (dog clutch is either off 0% or on 100% locking) which seems to fit the description of it's operation but can it go to 100% lock & does it wear? Or is it some type of torque biasing geared differential control system?
Does anyone have have a cross sectional view through the D3 active diff?-this would be extremely informative.

Is the interaxle diff controlled in a similar manner?-a transfer box sectional drawing would be great.

I apologise for all the questions but there appears to a dearth of detailed information on this available on the web but plenty of platitudes about what it can do without the how it does it.

Mike

Post #13058016th Feb 2007 8:34 pm
MikeH

United Kingdom 

In the absence of any explanation to my enquiry of the rear diff lock mechanism operation plus similar lack of response to tempestv8's earlier request for information on the transfer box (inter-axle diff) configuration what are we to conclude?
Does anyone on this board actually know the answer or do they prefer not to post the data? Alternatively are the technical details confidential and undisclosed by Landrover? Whichever-I am suspicious/surprised about the knowledge vacuum. If Land-Rover had a secret to keep it would surely have been fully patented & hence disclosable to us minions to chatter about.
In my historic experience 4WD manufacturers are only too keen to boast about & describe their new systems & developments & explain how clever they are & superior to their competitors. Does anyone else wonder why there are no explanations whatsoever forthcoming about the specifics of the D3's 4WD transmission & differential control.
I apologise for pursuing this point but in my opinion differential control (be it inter-axle or trans-axle diffs) is absolutely fundamental to maximum cross country cabability (contrary to Landrovers decades long sustained opinion that long suspension travel would compensate for everything)

Any thoughts out there?

Best Regards

Mike

Post #13203721st Feb 2007 11:06 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Mike, TFC isn't around much at the mo but I suspect he'll be able to give you an sensible answer or two, meanwhile I'll see what I can dig out for you.
Have you looked on GTR?
Take a look at the cutaway photos here and especially here which may help a little to answer some of your questions
 The End  
Post #13204321st Feb 2007 11:16 pm
chesters

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
Nice Pictures Slimer

How did you find these pictures they are great.
 Arctic Frost Discovery 3 TDV6 SE, Active Rear Diff, Adaptive Head Lights, Tow Pack, Ebony Leather, Roof Rails, Mantec Guard. Tasmod Stainless Sill plates. Grabber AT's. Home made mud flaps. Side Steps back on until the next time. 

Last edited by chesters on 21st Feb 2007 11:49 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #13204521st Feb 2007 11:28 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: Nice Pictures Slimer

chesters wrote:
How did you find these pictures hey are great.

been around for ages... you should have been here 2 years ago Very Happy

Post #13205221st Feb 2007 11:37 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

speaking from experience of a muddy slope last weekend, the D3 got just as far as the D1 and RR companions. The D3 got up in one go only because it had extra power and speed, therefore momentum, to get to the top. On the Rocks, it was a little easier in the D3 with the auto diffs and TC.

Post #13205621st Feb 2007 11:41 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Also.... have a read of this Land Rover US patent I found. I'm not so sure it will answer your question to the extent you require but nevertheless, it has some interesting info concerning the traction control system.

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT675...ck#PPP1,M1
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #13205721st Feb 2007 11:41 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Sorry must correct my last post, I said 'diffs' but I only have centre diff lock. I don't have a rear locker.

Post #13206121st Feb 2007 11:44 pm
Cutaway Mike

United States 
My understanding of the electronic differential

I first want to thank you all for sending viewers to my site. I am the owner of Cutaway Creations which is a US based company providing cutaway components for shows and training aids on various types of components, most of which are automotive.
I see that there has been some interest in the electronic diff that I did for Land Rover University here in the states.
The electric motor on top of the diff actuates the gears that are below it, when the big gear turns it has a "ball and ramp" assembly that compresses the clutch pack. There are potentiometers in the motor assembly that tell the control unit exactly what position the gears are in. This allows infinite adjustment of the diff clutch pack. There is a video that shows the diff working on my site. The display model has a built in battery and switch that allows it to work for training purposes.
This "electronic diff" is not really the same as a true "locking diff' which literally locks the diff. An example of a locking diff would be those supplied by ARB which use air to operate a piston which engages cogs that lock the diff or the manually locked center diff that is found in old Range Rover, Discovery and defender vehicles.

Hope this helps and thanks again for sending viewers to my site, maybe someday they will have a need for a cutaway and give us a call for a quote.

Cheers,
 Mike McGhee
President, Cutaway Creations LLC
www.cutawaycreations.com 

Post #13222122nd Feb 2007 4:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cutaway Mike

United States 
My understanding of the electronic differential

I first want to thank you all for sending viewers to my site. I am the owner of Cutaway Creations which is a US based company providing cutaway components for shows and training aids on various types of components, most of which are automotive.
I see that there has been some interest in the electronic diff that I did for Land Rover University here in the states.
The electric motor on top of the diff actuates the gears that are below it, when the big gear turns it has a "ball and ramp" assembly that compresses the clutch pack. There are potentiometers in the motor assembly that tell the control unit exactly what position the gears are in. This allows infinite adjustment of the diff clutch pack. There is a video that shows the diff working on my site. The display model has a built in battery and switch that allows it to work for training purposes.
This "electronic diff" is not really the same as a true "locking diff' which literally locks the diff. An example of a locking diff would be those supplied by ARB which use air to operate a piston which engages cogs that lock the diff or the manually locked center diff that is found in old Range Rover, Discovery and defender vehicles.

Hope this helps and thanks again for sending viewers to my site, maybe someday they will have a need for a cutaway and give us a call for a quote.

Cheers,
 Mike McGhee
President, Cutaway Creations LLC
www.cutawaycreations.com 

Post #13222222nd Feb 2007 4:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up Fantastic description, very clear now. Thanks Cutaway Mike.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #13222522nd Feb 2007 4:41 pm
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

Cutaway Mike, your company does brilliant work, I have greatly enjoyed going through those photos and they have been a big help when I was working on Rock Sliders for my truck.

Also, your creation with the small battery powered operator got me to thinking....it seems possible to retrofit a non locker equipped LR3 with one, and have it operated manually via a switch. Would need to supply a constant voltage while it was on I should imagine...but the possibility seems to be there.

Do you agree?

Thanks again for your work and the inspiration.

Regards,

Nathan Woods
www.nextstepdesigns.com

Post #13223822nd Feb 2007 5:22 pm
PCrover

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

Nathon, I have been looking into the possibility "switch" activation of the electronic diff for a while now. From looking at this cutaway and video along with the diff schematic it looks very do-able. If I can find a wrecked LR3 with a locking diff I plan on giving it a go. A new diff is around $1800 plus core of $400.
 Gary
'06 LR3
'94 D90 

Post #13226522nd Feb 2007 6:08 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Thanks Cutaway Mike. Now I know what to do when I need the workings of my D3 explained. "Just cut it into bits" Very Happy Very Happy

Great site. Thanks
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #13227422nd Feb 2007 6:14 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I think this will become a popular mod in years to come.
One question though? Is the Electronic Diff capable of being locked (with no detrimental effect) for a period of time? As it is at the moment, the diff switches on and off depending if needed. ISTR that it locks when under Sand (or one of the other) modes, so I assume that it woul dbe wise to have a timer or beeper to check how long you've had it switched on for? Question
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #13227622nd Feb 2007 6:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >