DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Adaptive Head Lights (AFS) & Corner lights Retrofit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Almost, wish i had a rum and coke now LOL
No my vehicles settings are now the same as Wiggs.
My picture was actually just a screen shot i took on the desktop to highlight how i change the CCF setting(s), i guess i should have mentioned the second one, but you know as it did not work to begin with i sort of forgot i did the second bit and now i think of it i sort of recall thinking that matching up the 2 25%'s made sense.

I do not believe that the corner lamps function has ever physically been anything at all to do with the AFS ECU, Although of course the AFS ECU bends the headlight beams left and right a bit depending on wheel angle, and road speed inputs from the CAN bus, so its possible that teh AFS might apply a different positioning strategy depending on if corner lighting is also fitted or not. and the CJB might also decide to turn the corner lights on and off at different points according to if AFS is fitted or not.

Thanks for the nod on the headlight height difference. it does make sense and i shall look out for a way to check more about it before i do anything else Thumbs Up

Post #58046113th Jan 2010 2:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

There are differences between the cornering lamps in non-AFS and AFS installations.....I've just found the info and will translate it in a while.
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #58047213th Jan 2010 2:49 pm
PaulP

OK - This is a bit of a translation exercise from my Spanish documents, but it may help to show the differences in both cases.

For halogens (obviously non-adaptive).
There is a "Luz de Viraje" which equates to a cornering lamp "IF FITTED". Therefore it must be market specific. Nothing else is mentioned about the funcionality of this lamp.

For non-Adaptive Bi-xenons
Again, there is a "Luz de Viraje" or cornering lamp "IF FITTED" i.e depending on the market. Contrary to what I thought, it states that this lamp is not fitted by default for the NAS market.

They are designed to illluminate the road when the vehicle is turning at low speeds. The cornering lamps are deactivated if the vehicle speed is over 40km/h (25mph).

They are activated (assuming vehicle speed is below 40km/h and the lights are on), when the driver uses the indicators. When the indicators are cancelled, the respective cornering light is switched off. They are also turned off if reverse gear is selected.

For Adaptive Bi-xenons (AFS)
Curiously, these are not referred to as a cornering lamp, but "Luz de giro estática" which means Static Turning Light (note that in the Faultmate CCF there is a field called Static Bending Lights).

Static Turning/Bending Lights are included by default in AFS lights for all markets except NAS.

They are controlled by the CJB, but are activated by a request sent by the AFS ECU based upon the steering angle.

If the vehicle is travelling more than 48km/h (38 mph), the static turning light is switched on (on the side that is being turned towards) when the steering wheel angle reaches 70°. It is switched off when the steering wheel angle returns back to 50°.

f the vehicle is travelling less than 48km/h (38 mph), the static turning light is switched on (on the side that is being turned towards) when the steering wheel angle reaches 245°. It is switched off when the steering wheel angle returns back to 225°.

The CJB controls the power to the static turning lights. When the correct conditions are reached to activate the lights, the CJB gradually increases the brightness to full power during 2 seconds. When they need to be switched off, the CJB gradually disconnects them.

Wow - I'm knackered now Laughing

Summary:

In non-Adaptive Bi-xenons, the cornering lamps are switched on and off with the indicators at low speeds.

In Adaptive Bi-xenons, they are gradually switched on and off depending on the steering angle and also vehicle speed.

So they basically work with completely different control strategies - both are switched on/off by the CJB, but in the case of adaptives, the AFS ECU is what tells the CJB to turn them on/off.

I'm going to have a coffee and then start thinking about how this works in conjunction with the options we can see in the CCF - especially the Static Bending Lights option that we haven't discussed yet. Thumbs Up
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #58051713th Jan 2010 3:40 pm
PaulP

BBS SPY wrote:
AThanks for the nod on the headlight height difference. it does make sense and i shall look out for a way to check more about it before i do anything else Thumbs Up

Colin,

I'm e-mail you some photos I took last night in the following conditions:

1. L + R original bi-xenon
2. L = adaptive / R = original bi-xenon
3. L + R adaptives

You can see that the beam pattern is exactly the same. Note that you can see a height difference between photos 2 and 3 as the D3 woke up and levelled itself, but luckily photo 2 puts it all into context with one of each lamp fitted.

Cheers,
Paul

PS. Sorry but I don't want to post them on here as they are showing my neighbours house. If anyone really wants to see them PM me an e-mail address and I'll forward them to you.
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #58258216th Jan 2010 10:03 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Hiya PaulP

Seeing what a nutter your neighbour is, i can understand your not wanting to post the pictures publically.
Probably the best choice Whistle

I noted on the first one (to the left) that even a Dog seemed quite unimpressed.

In any event, i see what you mean re the slight differnce in heights between LHD / RHD bi xenon lights regardless of with or without AFS.

I am assuming that you do not yet have any AFS ECU or wiring for such fitted to your D3 thus proving as i have said all along that AFS lights, even when fitted to non AFS equipped (Ie no ECU or wiring) vehicles are typically directed straight ahead and do not move or instantly droop to the floor.

The reason i ask is that i was asked specifically to confirm this by PM quite recently Whistle

Post #58351417th Jan 2010 9:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulP

haha..yep - my neighbour is a bit of a looney and as you can see has taken to spray painting his walls before he replaces them in a couple of weeks - I'm sure he thinks that the town council will pay attention to him Laughing

OK - I can confirm, as can you after seeing the photos, that adaptives point at the same height and do not move if they are not connected up to the AFS ECU.

You're correct - I have replaced my bi-xenon lights with adaptive bi-xenons and as yet I haven't installed anything else or changing any wiring.....a straight swap.

Just to confirm what you said about the corner lamp wiring, it was also the same on my MY06 SE. I've just activated the cornering lamps in "simple" mode as described in my previous post - they work in conjunction with the indicators at lower speeds. The turn on instantly, but fade out over a couple of seconds.

Once I add the extra wiring and the AFS ECU, then I'll switch them over to use the AFS system and they will therefore work off the steering angle as opposed to the indicators.

If someone puts in some adaptives and finds that the beam pattern is not similar to before, then I would just find someone who has AFS and connect your lights up to their D3 for 5 seconds each side until they are aligned. Thumbs Up
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #58355417th Jan 2010 10:11 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Aha LOL

Got me reaching for the Phrase book LOL
Did you see the dog on the first piccy though ???

But it does show you were right about the slight difference in heights being normal, i will happily leave mine allone now and in respect, with AFS and corner lighting working as it should, i do now seem to have really good lighting where i want, when i want and do not seem to be blinding on coming drivers, what else could one ask for and why on earth would i want to make any adjustments.

The way i figure it is that it is highly unlikely that any adaptives would have been removed fron a donar vehicle without already being pointed straight ahead, as you need lights on and steering at off straight or uneven EAS heights to get it to apply that and even if they were not, AFS devience possible (ie up dowmn, left right bt 5 degree is well within manual re adjustment possibility of correction anyway.

On an RRS, D4 or L322, sure the motor control is in the lights but on a D3 the motor control is in the AFS ECU which if un connected means the light motors are not moving anywhere.

So Paul, i guess you have now got the Corner lighting enabled and working with your trusty old MSV-2, quite some toy innit.

Post #58361717th Jan 2010 11:19 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Firstly, let me point out that the second post in this thread is no longer just a reserved place holder, but now at long last it actually contains Part 2 of the pictorial story of how i did this.
It seems a funny way to have done this but i wanted future readers to have teh whole pictorial how to story right at the front and i thank the mods for allowing me to keep the place holder there until i found a free moment to finish it off although i appreciate i could have edited part one, but its not the same, and in the meanwhile having the place holder made it obvious there was more to follow.

On another Note, in the follow up posts, Paul expressed that he thinks that when combined with AFS, the corner lights are not working the same. Although i initially believed that Corner lights were Corner Lights controlled by the CJB, regardless of if you had AFS or not i have looked into this further and can now confirm that he is quite right.

Although it is physically the same bulb, and it does much the same job, without AFS the decisions and functionality of these bulbs is solely down to the CJB to which the bulbs are always connected, but when you have AFS installed the AFS instructs the CJB when to turn the bulbs on and off and it becomes a feature referred to as Static Bending Lights. The differences are subtle, but with knowing things like the fact that Corner lights do not work in reverse, i can easily tell that mine are being controlled by the AFS as Static Bending Lights.

Post #59145927th Jan 2010 7:14 pm
PaulP

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

After I spent about three messages arguing with myself regarding the AFS vs. cornering lamp funcionality, I'm glad we sussed it out in the end Laughing

I have a feeling that, thanks to a kind forum member Bow down , I am about to receive some connectors and pins etc so that I can finally buy the AFS ECU and then wire it all up.

Regarding the front PDC - I retro-installed this myself a couple of years ago and LR only sell the sensors primed for painting, so they would have needed painting anyway even if you'd bought them new....

If I was you, I'd just buy a pencil touch-up kit from your dealer and, thinning out the paint a little, apply it with the brush.....once you then brush it over with the clearcoat in the second pencil, you can't tell that they aren't sprayed.....and the total cost is around 6 quid.

Is there any way you can get a video up on youtube of the self-test procedure? Whistle

Now you just need to retro-fit the rear e-diff Whistle Whistle Whistle

Cheers,
Paul
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #59155027th Jan 2010 9:05 pm
BrianT

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
RE:corner lighting

What is corner lighting?

Is it the use of the fog lights.i.e turn on left fog light when turning left Question

If this is the case does it just need enabling.

I have read through this post(although not as thorough as i should have i guess) but cant really determin if this is the case.

Brian T Thumbs Up
 MY 16 Landmark Santorini Black
MY 05 SE Adriatic Blue (Gone but not forgotten)

Post #59161927th Jan 2010 10:11 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Cornering lights are an additional lamp fitted next to the sidelight that operate in a way that's probably already mentioned in this thread.... basically they come on at certain speeds, steering angles and also in conjunction with the indicators
 The End  
Post #59164627th Jan 2010 10:31 pm
BrianT

Thanks Slimer Thumbs Up

dont think i have those so will just have to resume turning my head slightly left or right Mr. Green

Post #59165127th Jan 2010 10:34 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cheers Slimer
With my new knowledge of the difference between corner lighting and static bending lights i was about to go into a deep technological overview in answer to the question, but then i realized that actually you had summed it all up quite adequately in about 5% of the words i would have used, and in the end BrianT would have understood you better anyway Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

So while I may understand the technology better than most, i still have a lot to learn about translation Bow down Bow down Bow down and i am not too shy to admit that you seriously out classed me on that one there.
In fact i am still struggling to figure out ho you said it all in so few words. Thumbs Up

Hiya Paul
Glad we got the difference agreed, i was amazed to find that there was a difference, albeit a strategy one, and had to conduct some base experiments to prove it myself. I would love to have the time to disable the AFS and prove that the lights in question started behaving as Corner lights rather than AFS controlled static bending lights, but i guess in a short time thanks to your kind forum member, you might be able to help me out on that Whistle Whistle Whistle

Regards the sensor painting, i am starting to appreciate your methodology, it seems this might be the best way forward with that for me. I am going to see what my dealer has in the way of touch ups and will let you know

Post #5949811st Feb 2010 8:21 pm
BrianT

Dickydisco wrote:
I was just saying how i drilled the inside of the light fitting to put a bulb in the orange marker light but make sure the bulb you put in is only a 3w. if you take your light out you will see to points inside where a sidelight bulb can be put one is to the clear lense (normal sidelight location) then the other is blanked off but there is wires and a bulb holder too. drill out the blank and push in the bulb holder. this makes the marke glow.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic45233-15.html

Hi Slimer,

Are they talking abot the same lights in this thread that you mentioned Question

Post #5952342nd Feb 2010 12:30 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

No Brian, That ain't the same

Post #5989477th Feb 2010 9:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >