DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Adaptive Head Lights (AFS) & Corner lights Retrofit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>
BrianT

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thanks Thumbs Up
 MY 16 Landmark Santorini Black
MY 05 SE Adriatic Blue (Gone but not forgotten)

Post #5989517th Feb 2010 9:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
csuther

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3
SE to HSE

Hi Colin.
I read this post with great interest. I have a 05 TDV6 SE. I went to a breaker yard today and got myself an adaptive lights ECU. I would like to get the adaptive lights working as well as the cornering lights.
In the small space where the parking lamp is I saw markings/outline where another globe could fit, this then for the cornering lights.

Has anybody else mentioned their intentions on doing the same? I'm trying to locate some broken headlamps from breaker yards to strip the cornering light fittings or whatever I need for that.
Regarding the adaptive lights...would you know if the SE model have all the necessary stepper motors built-in to the headlight units?
I guess I'll have to strip it out and check.

Cheers,
Clint.
 LR Discovery 3 TDV6 SE-2005, General Grabber AT.  
Post #6698698th Jul 2010 8:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hiya Clint

Glad you liked it, all part of the service Thumbs Up
It's all well and good making the equipment that is capable of making modifications to the vehicles configuration, but much better to follow it up with physical demonstrations of that capability being applied in the flesh.

I have to say i do like your thinking.

Since i have proven and stated that the wiring for the corner lamps is already present from the Body control to the back of the head lights, even on the basest of spec vehicles, I guess if someone could figure out how to retro fit bulbs in the right place it would then be an easy upgrade.

The bulbs are just the regular single filament halogens, so often used in front spots or fogs, as long as you could graft them into the plastic at the space marked as you note next to the side light bulbs and connect them to the original Headlamp plug it should be do able. might just be a case of cutting the hole to the outline for all i know.

Unless the headlamp says AFS on it it will not have the steppers fitted.

Post #6701519th Jul 2010 5:27 pm
csuther

SE to HSE

Hi Colin.

Sometime later this week I'll strip one of the headlamps out and do some further investigation.

Will let you know what I find...
Post #67038810th Jul 2010 3:10 pm
csuther

SE to HSE

Hi Colin.

I stripped on of my car's headlamps out....so no motors inside....I'm busy shopping around to see where I could find complete HSE headlamp units....
The bulbs used for 'Cornering Lamps', what type is it?
Could you possibly provide me with the wiring diagrams for the harnasses you made up?
The existing wiring harnass does not have all the necessary wiring as compared with a HSE...

Thanks,
Clint.
Post #6799335th Aug 2010 12:58 pm
pauleline

Netherlands 

Hi Clint,

the cornering lamps are H8 35w halogen. I'm waiting for Ian of HIDS4U to come up with some upgrade for this light as I would like to upgrade to a more brighter light / further reach. I already have so-called super white xenon halogens but they make little if any difference. Actual HID is not possible due to the fast switching of the lamps I was told..

Let's hope Ian has some good alternative!

Post #6799865th Aug 2010 4:00 pm
csuther

Hi Paul?

Thanks, off to the shops to get some lamps in the mean time then...
Post #6800025th Aug 2010 4:54 pm
ids

England 

Colin

Another one of your amazing articles.

I have just gotten hold of a couple of active xenon's to do the same on my base 7 seated as you.

I don't have the luxury of having a spare loom but am very proficient in making them. I wonder if you would mind divulging the cable lengths etc. I suppose there is no way of finding the connectors (or buying them through a dealer) though so may have to try and find some sections of loom.

That reminds me. What's the current price for a faultmate these days?
Ids

Post #78553913th Apr 2011 1:53 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Hiya ids

Thank you for the compliment,

I do have some cable length info i will happily divulge for this mod if i can now find it Wink
IIRC its not a case of connectors, more of pins. If you get a donor vehicle, this is easy.

A new MSV-2 system will set you back about 800 GBP with an SV license, which while i accept and agree is not exactly pocket money, but given that used systems fetches 80 to 90 percent of that, it's really a no brainer for anyone.

Post #78566113th Apr 2011 7:43 pm
ids

England 

Lights received and fitted. Arn't they much better than the halogens.

Any info you do have would be appreciated..... I think a trip to Equicar or somewhere local to get some bits is in order.

I would like to get a MSV-2 so its something I need to save a bit for. In the meantime Ill have to locate one of the members who can do multiple cars to get corner lighting enabled I guess.

Ids

Post #78776219th Apr 2011 9:45 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Since i have a bit of experience with the Disco 3 AFS system and a fair bit with most of the electronics and communications involved, i have been Pm'd a few times about the possibility to retro fit AFS to Disco 3's that have been fitted with Disco 4 Headlights.

I have spent some considerable time looking into this in an effort to help members out and thought i best to post up my findings and share them with everyone.

In short the answer is sadly not, but for those wanting to understand the technicalities and reasons why not, i will explain.

The main element of any AFS system are the ECU itself which on the vehicle side just has a couple of powers and ground and is connected to the Vehicles CAN bus, over which it gets the EAS heights, steering wheel angle, road speed and other data it needs. It also tells the Body control when to turn on the corner lights over the CAN bus.

On the output side of the AFS ecu control information is output in a format that ultimately controls the position of 2 motors in each head light, one for up down and the other for side to side.
So of course you need head lights that are compatible with the control information format outputted by the AFS ECU.

In the Discovery 3 the output control format is raw stepper motor control drive format. It is totally unique in this, as the Sport and the FFRR use a proprietary LIN bus data format to talk to control electronics that is built directly into the head lights.

If the Disco 4 headlights were totally LIN controlled, and assuming that the message format was the same, it should be possible to Fit a Sport or FFRR AFS ECU to control them appropriately. However sadly only the side to side motors are controlled by LIN with the up / down motors being controlled by a different output from the AFS ECU, designated on the circuit diagrams as DCM SIG. This is fed into pin 7 on each headlamp

I note that on the lighting switch circuit diagram that this pin is shown being directly fed directly from an output taken from the lighting switch that goes via a variable resistor to the Body control. And the headlights in that diagram show having up / down motors in them.

So it really looks as if they have made the AFS ecu emulate the up / down control signal of Non AFS vehicles to control the up / down of the headlights.

The Sport and FFRR AFS ECU's don't have this additional DCM SIG output and so cannot be re used as i had once hoped.

And you cannot simply use a D4 AFS ECU as the CAN bus's of the D3 and D4 are incompatible.

Post #9049764th Mar 2012 4:03 pm
Bantie

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Rear Park sensors Retrofit

This is an excellent thread - very informative. My questions arise as I have purchased a complete 2nd hand leather interior to fit to my 2006 commercial S. The interior I have purchased is from a HSE which had electric seats. So far I have fitted the rear 5 seats and all door cards plus the plastic boxes on each side of the boot. I had previously had some repairs done and I fitted the new style bumpers and had them and the wheel arch eyebrows colour coded. The rear bumper has the holes for parking sensors which I have not fitted yet as no one can tell me if they will work or if the wiring is fitted to the car.

My questions;

1. The rear parking sensors require a PDC ECU which is fitted behind the passenger side plastic box in the boot. This is not present in my car but there is one spare plug here and I wold like to know if this plug is all that is needed to fit the ECU ? How many connections are present on the ECU - if there is two is one for the wiring loom plug and the other to plug in the sensors or is there a third plug required for a beeper ? If so where is the beeper fitted ?

2. The front seats are currently not electric - is it likely that the plugs required are on the wiring loom but possibly hidden below the central console as they have not been required until now ? I hope so !!

3. I recently fitted the headlight washers but cannot seem to get these to work. I have had it connected to a computer but the man said that there was no place to enable these that he could see and that I might need a new CJB whatever that is. Does anyone know how to get these to work ?

Many thanks for any help

Raymond

Post #95490915th Jul 2012 12:00 pm
race.it

Spain 

Removed due to colins better explanation and pictures

Last edited by race.it on 15th Jul 2012 8:18 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #95498615th Jul 2012 5:44 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Quote:
This is an excellent thread - very informative.

Thanks, I do try my very best to help Thumbs Up

Re Question 1)
The PDC has 3 connectors, a Main one, then one for the front sensors, which is not fitted on some models, and one for the rear sensors. On my own donor HSE loom, someone had stripped out the connector and wiring to add the front sensors to their vehicle before i got my hands on it. So i had to re add it.

Click image to enlarge

You will also need to change the button panel on the front to one with a PDC switch and have your vehicles CCF edited with a Faultmate MSV-2 for the PDC to work. The sounder is fitted about 12 inches rearwards of the PDC ECU.

Re Question 2)
I fitted full spec HSE electric memory seats in my D3 which was below S spec and they all have the same connectors, however my seats would only move in short bursts, which i did not bother to figure the cause of, as i replaced my entire loom with a HSE one.

Re question 3)
It is most likely that you simply need to have this enabled in the CCF. Again a Job only possible with a Faultmate MSV-2 which clearly your "man" does not have.

Post #95499715th Jul 2012 6:17 pm
Bantie

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Colin,

Many thanks for your reply. When I looked at the wiring loom close to where the PDC ECU mounts there was one spare plug that I could see. I am assuming that this is the main plug. I can source a second hand ecu and sensors for the rear which are the main ones that I want working. I am going to go ahead and get this sent over as I am fairly sure that it will work fine as the cable from the sensors to the ecu will be included. I can also ask for the sounder and switch panel. One thing I am unsure about is the sensors themselves. My bumper is as on a 2009 model and I wonder if the sensors are different to a 2006 and if they are different will they work with the same ecu or does this need to be matched to the sensors ? Also will 2006 sensors fit the 2009 bumper holes ? They are already present.

The plug behind the front drivers headlight is present (Thanks Race it) although I do not know where it goes to !

You are correct - my "man" does not have a fault mate. He has the full Land rover system as used by the main dealers but could not find anywhere to enable the headlamp washers. One useful outcome was that the MPG has improved by almost 2 mpg since it was plugged in as they updated the software to the latest version.

If the funds allow I may purchase a fault mate at some stage soon - I have had a look at the website and they seem very capable. Thanks for the help. If you have a photo of the sounder can you post it please as I have no idea what this looks like or where it plugs in.

Many thanks again

Raymond

Post #95512215th Jul 2012 11:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >