DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Adaptive Head Lights (AFS) & Corner lights Retrofit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hiya Bantie

This picture shows quite a lot. It is of a new Loom (Actually a RRS one) laid over my damaged D3 HSE one.
The PDC ECU is plugged into the New loom and you can see the bits of foam they leave over unused connectors to protect them and so they do not rattle against any panel work.

As i stated, someone had cut my loom open and removed the connector and wires for the Front sensors. Hence my loom only has two connectors. The Larger Brown main one and the smaller one for the the rear sensors.

So the Front sensors would be the smaller brown one.

For the benefit of anyone who has heard of the CAN bus, but not seen it, this picture clearly shows the Yellow / White and Yellow / Blue twisted pair of the Low Speed CAN bus going to the Main PDC Connector. Also in the main Loom, you can see the Yellow / Black and Yellow / Brown twisted pair of the High Speed CAN bus.

Does the unused connector you have found look like this larger Brown one? TBH it makes no sense that they would fit the main one without the small black one and it's wiring for the Rear sensors at least.

The wiring for the Front sensors goes from the PDC ECU to an interconnect between the Main and Engine Bay Looms located behind the front passenger kick panel.

My original low spec Main loom had no connectors for the PDC at all, however my engine bay loom did have the wires and connectors present for both the front PDC sensors and the Fog Lights which allowed be to fit the sub looms into the front bumper as well as the Fog lights and PDC sensors.

As Race.it has stated and you have done, you just pop out your Drivers side headlight to see if these are present.
You can see these two connectors in the background of this picture which already have my two bumper looms connected to them, to answer your question as to where they go to Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

I don't believe that there are different sensors by year and IIRC all the sensors are the same, although you have to be sure to use the correct mounting Bezels from front to rear and inner and outer ones, as they angle the sensors differently. You also have to take note of the two orientation notches in the bumper itself and cut them out correctly.

As you see on this picture they are at the 9 and 5 o-clock positions for this sensor.

Click image to enlarge

In my case the two front inner ones also required Painting to match the Body Color.

If you end up trying to remove a sensor from it's mounting Bezel, especially a second hand one, be careful, they don't like being pulled from the rear and can easily break in the middle.

Regards your "Man" yes many think that if they have the original LR tool, they must have all possible capability, but it ain't actually the case. They simply become just another LR controlled puppet able to do only what LR allow them to and in respect of re configuring a vehicle, that ain't much.

A faultmate MSV-2 will however allow you to configure absolutely everything and then some.

I don't have a piccy of the PDC sounder myself, but a quick search of the photo gallery pulled this up

Click image to enlarge

I hope this helps

Post #95536816th Jul 2012 5:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bantie

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Colin,

That is great. basically all the information I need at this time. i will have a look and see what plugs are there as it could be that the plugs are missing on mine as well which would mean either a bit of rewiring or an aftermarket solution.

Many thanks for your help so far

Raymond

Post #95553016th Jul 2012 10:07 pm
Bantie

Now the seats !

Colin,

I have now (at last) had a chance to check the wiring etc for the rear PDC and as you thought - it is not there. I think I will try and have aftermarket ones fitted as it will be easier.

I have also completed the change over to the HSE interior by fitting the front seats, cubby box, glove box etc. All went very well until the drivers seat which will not work. This is most likely due to a missing plug. The car has the black plug with various small plugs inside but not the white one which seems to go to a module for the memory seats.

Do you think that the white plug should have been present and if so where it may be hidden ? If it is possible that it not there I could get this part of a loom from a breakers yard but where do the cables from this plug go - ie is there another plug somewhere that it plugs into in the engine bay or fuse box ?

I will try and upload a photo of the plug on the seat.
(I have added a photo to my gallery as I could not figure out how to add it to a post)

As always any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Raymond

PS The passenger seat works fine but then it has no memory !

Post #96902624th Aug 2012 8:46 am
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

here you go

G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #96907524th Aug 2012 11:16 am
Bantie

Thanks. I will learn someday !

Post #96908324th Aug 2012 11:38 am
MARKW

United Kingdom 

BBS SPY wrote:
Quote:

Click image to enlarge

Colin

I have heard rumours that there are 2 modules for the PDC. 1 that does rear and another that does front and rear. Can you confirm this? As I have rear but no front PDC and no connector in the front behind the headlight. Ifit's as simple as a small loom from front to back and away I go then I reckon I can manage that if the connectors are available.
 HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE

They shall not grow old as those of us left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condem. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning WE WILL REMEMBER THEM 

Post #96909624th Aug 2012 12:07 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

I may well be no Christopher Columbus, but i am pretty sure that despite any rumors, there is only one PDC module and how it behaves is entirely controlled by the vehicles CCF files configuration. Thumbs Up

Last edited by BBS SPY on 23rd Nov 2012 4:21 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #96925624th Aug 2012 8:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I have only ever seen one Thumbs Up
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #96926624th Aug 2012 9:02 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Quote:
I have only ever seen one

You mean after all that self gratuitous pontification, you have actually come across a PDC ECU that physically has no connector or otherwise cannot support front sensors simply by fitting them and the wiring and enabling them in the CCF Wiggs.

Post #96978226th Aug 2012 5:41 pm
beanie
Site Sponsor 

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
AFS ECU

To really mix this up Colin, this post is about the AFS ECU...

Do you know the part number or if the Jaguar AFS ECU is the same?

PART NO: C2 P12843 or PART NO: C2 P12844

I can readily find these as new items and was wondering if I can get one how much else would I need to activate my newly fitted adaptive Xenons, Can you would you make up a loom for example?
 Altox GSM FBH controller thread

IID Pro MV License - D3, D4 & RRS - Enabling, Updates, D4 & RRS Timed / Remote Climate, D4 Bluetooth fitting
PM me for details

Owner of the original "Beanie" grille
D4 & RRS style D3 grilles made to order

Post #96986226th Aug 2012 8:35 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Sorry Beanie
I must have missed your post, but better late than never.

The Jaguar AFS ECU will definitely not work on a D3 as it has a different CAN bus architecture.

In respect of your recent PM requesting assistance i have sent you a copy of my final document i did for this project that details the connectivity, connector and Pin number etc. Also wire lengths, colors, thicknesses and which wires require to be twisted.

If anyone else requires this information i have uploaded it here

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...ring_2.xls

Post #100803423rd Nov 2012 4:37 pm
robmeister1969

United Kingdom 

Hi BBS SPY. Sorry for raising an older post. I have a RHD RRS and I suspect I have a faulty AFS Control Module. Assuming mine is located in a similar position to the Disco, am I right in understanding it should be accessed by removing the drivers side A Pillar and would be at the bottom? Thanks!

Post #117736125th Oct 2013 10:28 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Hiya robmeister1969

As my picture shows

Click image to enlarge

The module on a RHD Disco 3 is located in the recess in the A piller on the PASSENGER side of the vehicle.

However i cannot vouch for it being on the passenger side on either a LHD vehicle or a Range Rover Sport.

It may require you to look at the same place on the A piller on both sides, but you will only need to take of the Kick panel, which is very easy to do Thumbs Up

Post #117835827th Oct 2013 4:22 pm
robmeister1969

United Kingdom 

Thank you so much for coming back to me.

My RRS is RHD and looking at a Land Rover Technical Training page drawn on a LHD car, the AFS Control Module is shown to be on the passenger side and on the same side as the CJB, and with the ACC Control Module on the drivers side.

I believe my AFS is on the passenger side but for the life of me, having looked closely behind the kick panels on both sides, I cannot see where it is.

The glove box housing obstructs my access and I wonder if I might need to remove that . Could you take a look at my picture to see if it makes any sense to you? Bow down

PS For some reason my photos appear upside down!

Post #117985630th Oct 2013 4:34 pm
robbo770

Scotland 

Colin, again outstanding work and I am about to embark on this trip!!!, subject to getting enough wires etc and the modules where required.

will let you know how it goes, do you have a parts list for AFS install on the D3 by any chance? as I am fitting AFS Bi-xenon D4 headlights.

cheers Rob
 FFRR SC 4.2

Rejected!! RRS2
Fit TDV6 intercooler hoses
Fast Road intercooler
De-Cat pipe
D3 to B4 front end Upgrade
OEM TV/DVD Screens+wireless Headphones! 

Last edited by robbo770 on 13th Nov 2013 11:01 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #118717013th Nov 2013 5:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >