Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Discovery 5 - L462

An admittance but still concerned
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Landroverfan1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4
An admittance but still concerned

I have to admit I am beginning to have a change of heart after previously posting my negative views on the new Discovery. Reading the brochure several times and the comments on this forum the D5 will be on my list when the time comes to change cars. However I do still have a concern:

When I buy a car I go through a very dull exercise of comparing each car on my short list and award a point system. So for example the car may have the longest boot (high score) but may also be the longest car (low score). I look at mpg, acceleration, seating, price, wading depth, etc. Where there may be conflicting measurements I take an average. Once these scores are done I move onto the emotive side. How important is it to have the top speed or best mpg. Then I took several test drives in each car ensuring they were a mix of town, country roads and motorway and again made a score for each. For the D4 the cars I tested the D4 (obviously), XC90, XC70, A6 Allroad, FFRR, DS.

The D4 may not have been the fastest but it came out on top by quite some way in each of the categories (measurements and statistics, emotive, driving). The DS came second in all but one category: the driving. Now I am aware many DS owners love their car and indeed it has such high praise from car magazines and awards. On paper I thought the DS would be the car I would go for. The D4 came out on top but the DS was cheaper. But it rattled and squeaked along the test route. Reaching for the infotainment system or heating controls was difficult (and I have ape-like arms) and so forth. There were a number of other reasons why I didn't like the car but will stop there.

My concern is that the new D5 will be the same and to me it does look like a larger version of their DS. Looks fantastic on paper: more gadgets, more this and that but in reality it may disappoint. Of course we will have to wait until the press and us mortals get to test the new car and when the time comes I shall do the same exercise above. I just hope the car will not disappoint when it comes to driving.

PS: Cannot find the spreadsheet on iPad but will post if I do find the stats.

Post #17173039th Oct 2016 10:22 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

People will buy the D5, people on her will buy the D5 and then say they cant beleive how they put up with their D4 for so long as its such an old design etc
6 months max and the posts will start you watch Mr. Green

Post #17173819th Oct 2016 1:06 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

I would not give it 6 months you can see those post apperaing already Mr. Green

I have been and looked at the D5 as with others none of us have driven it. The cars I looked at were hand built pre production and although there were a couple of issues with panel line up they were as a whole very good. We tried to get them to break and we tried to get them to squeak but could not. We could confuse the seat system by continually pushing buttons without letting the seats complete their cycle but that was easily resolved with a brief pause and operate the button again.
So if they stay as good as that during road testing then in my view they will be good and on to a winner.
Will I take it off road, yes I will. the only thing that worries me is the wheels and if I can get 19" to fit, but I m guessing as it is built on a FF and RRS running gear I will be able to use my current off road wheels.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #17174039th Oct 2016 2:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
J77

Scotland 

S/SE have 19" as standard, in fact same design as the DS with HSE having 20" and the Lux 21" but I'm not sure on that one.

I will definitely have a play off road, it's just finding time and places to go legally.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #17174249th Oct 2016 3:05 pm
fisherman

Wales 

My dream version of the 5 is a Firenze red HSE Lux but have changed the 21's in the black pack to the 20's for a better ride and £1k saving to use towards other stuff. I will take it off road if I can find anywhere to have me. The golf course I go hunting on isn't much of a challenge tbh.
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #171775210th Oct 2016 7:50 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >