Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Advice for BArcelona
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Gilgamesh

England 
Advice for BArcelona

Just a quick question. Is anyone here from Barcelona? What are the must-see places in Barcelona? I will be there for a business trip and will have a 2-3 day gap to see some local places. Any recommendation? 

Post #23638628th Mar 2024 7:01 am
MrTed

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

#1: Pre-book online the Sagrada Da Familia as you can't just rock-up and try to get in. Worth it in every way possible. 'Possibly the best church in the world' (my quote).
#2: La Pedrera-Casa Milà - Amazing building. Search for the rest of Gaudi's buildings. Each one is worth a visit. Its worth paying the extra for 'speedy entry' as you may be waiting yonks in a que.
#3: Plaça del Rei - Museum near the 'Old Town' which is worth a wander in itself. If you want cheap food & beer, walk off-piste as the main throughfares are expensive for 'tourists'.
#4: Unless you like tempting fate by walking around with Leica cameras hanging around your neck and gold Rolex watches on your wrist you should be ok so don't worry about stories of being pickpocketed.
#5: You will see some awesome boats that you can't afford down by the quay.
#6: If you hire a car its super-easy to drive around the city and parking is cheap.
#7: Just around the corner to the Sagrada is just about the most authentic restaurant we've been to in our trips there: Restaurant Los Bellota. Not much English spoken but hand gestures and a phrase book resulted in a massive melted cheese dipping bowl (that we saw the locals eating) followed by various awesome meat dishes. Try the sugar syrup alcoholic shots!
#8 The locals go here to eat seafood: Puertecillo Sagrada Familia. Again, just around the corner to the Sagrada.
Well thats a start! We go back every few years to find new places there to go and so will you I should think. Its an amazing place and the people are great.
 Discovery 4 HSE late 2015 Euro6
Jaguar XF Portfolio (PX'd for above)
Mitsubishi Galant V6 (PX'd for above)
Instagram: @mrtedgfx 

Post #23638938th Mar 2024 12:01 pm
riverblanche

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi,

Agree Casa Mila should be at the top of the list, Cool
we found all the houses worth a visit
we found Sagrada great But Shocked
everywhere else seemed to be More than expected but as everyone goes Sagrada, Sagrada,Sagrada it didn't, when we go back for another visit we will visit the houses again but doubt Sagarada,
yes you have to see it, we will just have another look around the outside Whistle

We found a great cafe just to the left of Casa Mila at the rear of the shops (chocolate shop) locals and students use it.

another place for a bite if you can get a seat is in the old market, well worth a wander around just to look

Maybe an Absinthe (or a Beer Laughing ) in Bar Marsella, we always think it looks shut from the outside when we have been there Whistle its worth finding to see the Decor inside Shocked its an experience.

Food wise we found it worth asking what the "menu of the day" was in restaurants.

Picasso museum was interesting to start with but we lost a bit of interest later on, they used to have free tickets on certain days each month it fitted when we were there once so we booked them.

and yes the habour is worth looking at Thumbs Up

if you like churches then Basilica de Santa Maria Del Mar is good, I got looked in by mistake Shocked
I like how there made not really what there for, wandered in, and was not allowed to leave...
World choir contest or something and I walked in between choirs, could not "disturb" them and leave until they finished, got a text which Bar SWMBO and friends where in when I got out Laughing

there loads to do is difficult to narrow it down, depends what you like, we love the place.

Thumbs Up
 Transit! 2019
Gone D3 HSE 2008
Another Porsche Cayenne 2022
Gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
Gone RRS HSE Dynamic 2016
Gone RRS HSE LUX 2011
Gone RRS HSE 2006
Gone D3 SE 2.7 2008
gone D2 Td5 1999

I plan on living forever and so far so good !

Club DG Mclaren stuff

Post #23639348th Mar 2024 8:31 pm
Davethegeo

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Agree with a lot of what has been said above.
Casa Battlo is the other big Gaudi building in Barcelona. It is a stunning building - as I'm sure they both are - but I found the ticket price eye watering. Great building but the audio tour was very childlike and didn't add much to my experience. However, I'm glad I visited.
Sagrada was amazing I thought. I'd go back.
We had a boat tour round the harbour which was good. Just turned up and hopped on the next boat.
Botanic gardens were great and the teleferic ride up to them was fab
Good to people watch walking along La Rambla but loads of shops and stalls selling tat. Some nice covered markets
Gothic quarter nice to wander around and full of small tapas bars most of which were excellent. El Bitxo was a good one.
I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip.
 D1 300Tdi - gone
D2 Td5 ES (Alive remapped...mmm) - sadly gone
D4 2012 SDV6 XS - Stolen
D4 2014 SDV6 HSE - Shiny

Post #23639929th Mar 2024 8:02 pm
Gilgamesh

England 

Thanks for all the information, guys. There are a lot of things to digest. It looks like I need to sit down quietly for some time and make an itinerary based on the places you all suggested. 

Post #236416312th Mar 2024 9:26 am
Gilgamesh

England 

riverblanche wrote:
Hi,

Agree Casa Mila should be at the top of the list, Cool
we found all the houses worth a visit
we found Sagrada great But Shocked
everywhere else seemed to be More than expected but as everyone goes Sagrada, Sagrada,Sagrada it didn't, when we go back for another visit we will visit the houses again but doubt Sagarada,
yes you have to see it, we will just have another look around the outside Whistle

We found a great cafe just to the left of Casa Mila at the rear of the shops (chocolate shop) locals and students use it.

another place for a bite if you can get a seat is in the old market, well worth a wander around just to look

Maybe an Absinthe (or a Beer Laughing ) in Bar Marsella, we always think it looks shut from the outside when we have been there Whistle its worth finding to see the Decor inside Shocked its an experience.

Food wise we found it worth asking what the "menu of the day" was in restaurants.

Picasso museum was interesting to start with but we lost a bit of interest later on, they used to have free tickets on certain days each month it fitted when we were there once so we booked them.

and yes the habour is worth looking at Thumbs Up

if you like churches then Basilica de Santa Maria Del Mar is good, I got looked in by mistake Shocked
I like how there made not really what there for, wandered in, and was not allowed to leave...
World choir contest or something and I walked in between choirs, could not "disturb" them and leave until they finished, got a text which Bar SWMBO and friends where in when I got out Laughing

there loads to do is difficult to narrow it down, depends what you like, we love the place.

Thumbs Up

Yes, everyone's suggestion seems to have Casa Mila and Sagrada in common. 

Post #236416412th Mar 2024 9:28 am
ruben
D3 Decade 

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I agree on 2 things, one that Sagrada Familia is mandatory without a doubt, but reserve your access on the website or you won't get in! and 2 that it is not a dangerous city at all, unless you are interested in looking for danger... avoid certain areas of the Raval neighborhood... the rest is up to your taste... get lost in the straight streets of Eixample, there are many places to eat or have a drink, or in the most popular and charming neighborhood such as the Gracia neighborhood, or the no less interesting, although very saturated with tourism, such as the Gothic neighborhood and the cathedral...after all you don't have many days either First of all, trust your intuition and enjoy your stay!It is a magnificent city, although somewhat saturated with visitors at certain times of the year and in certain areas.
 lost in translation!  
Post #236422013th Mar 2024 12:30 am
Gilgamesh

England 

Is there any other options to buy ticket for Sagrada Familia apart from their official website https://sagradafamilia.org/en/tickets ?

Post #236422613th Mar 2024 8:34 am
ruben
D3 Decade 

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

At least I don't know, although I doubt it, I always use official services due to their verified security! 👍🏼👍🏼
 lost in translation!  
Post #236422813th Mar 2024 8:48 am
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

The maritime museum is really nice.

Post #236426713th Mar 2024 6:09 pm
Gilgamesh

England 

ruben wrote:
At least I don't know, although I doubt it, I always use official services due to their verified security! 👍🏼👍🏼

I was checking online for other options. I have come across https://gowithguide.com/spain/barcelona and a few guides have a sagrada tour and are asking about $160, but on the official page it's around €40. My doubt is, is the official tour from their site only meant for me or guided tour for mass people?

Post #236429714th Mar 2024 6:44 am
riverblanche

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi,

let us know how you get on when you do go,

that's a point when are you going, its been sept-oct when we have been, luckily there was a big classic car & bike show on one year Whistle

There is the coloured fountains display in the evenings as well if that side of the city

Thumbs Up
 Transit! 2019
Gone D3 HSE 2008
Another Porsche Cayenne 2022
Gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
Gone RRS HSE Dynamic 2016
Gone RRS HSE LUX 2011
Gone RRS HSE 2006
Gone D3 SE 2.7 2008
gone D2 Td5 1999

I plan on living forever and so far so good !

Club DG Mclaren stuff

Post #236495922nd Mar 2024 11:15 pm
MrTed

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Well if you go next month you may get to see the La Diada de Sant Jordi, or St George festival.
Its bonkers. We didn't know it was going to happen so when we left the hotel this was kicking-off on almost every street. The health & safety police were given the day off by all accounts.

Discovery 4 HSE late 2015 Euro6
Jaguar XF Portfolio (PX'd for above)
Mitsubishi Galant V6 (PX'd for above)
Instagram: @mrtedgfx 

Post #236499223rd Mar 2024 3:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >