DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

ADVICE NEEDED: 20" RRS Supercharged Alloys for a Disco
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
STEVEHOOPER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
ADVICE NEEDED: 20" RRS Supercharged Alloys for a Disco

Hi

I am a complete newbie both to this site and Disco ownership. Ive just purchased a 54 plate Disco 3 TDV6 HSE in Java and even though ive not even got the car yet (pick it up on Thurs) ive already been on the phone to Nick at Yeovil (what a top chap he is) and will be ordering a number of mods.

However, my main query at the moment is wheel choice. I want to change the standard HSE 19" 5 spokes that are currently on the car. I cant decide whether to go for a set of 22" Stormer replicas with a gunmetal finish and put the 295 Grabbers on or go with a set of genuine 20" LR Stormer alloys but not sure of tyre choice with these???

Im concerned that the 22" might look too much and too bling on the Disco 3 - does anyone have any images of a Disco 3 with 22" on it?? Im also concerned i might have rubbing issues but i guess that has more to do with correct tyre choice than size of alloy???

I would be happy with the 20" supercharged alloys (by the way are these alloys also called V spoke??) - but i wonder if they will look much better than the standard 19" HSE alloys??

I would also like to see any images of Disco 3's with supercharged alloys on them.

Any thoughts and advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Steve
 D3 TDV6 HSE  
Post #24399412th Jan 2008 12:10 pm
n1cktdv6

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: ADVICE NEEDED: 20" RRS Supercharged Alloys for a Di

Steve,

Welcome.

I am toying with a set of 20's, I have 19's at the moment and like the RRS wheels. Al Cope has just fitted a set and BarryG is the man to talk about 'bling'...

22's...not sure they'll fit or look good...more techie chaps will be able to advise.

Nick Thumbs Up
 D4 HSE....Probably, but not quite decided yet.
3.6 TDV8 Vogue
XC90 SE Lux
A8 Quattro TDi
D3 SE 

Post #24399912th Jan 2008 12:43 pm
Googsy

Ireland 

Im running 20s on 275 45's Generals sames as BarryG ..... Ronp has 295 45 20s (General UHPs)

I believe the V spoke do cause rubbing issues with Stormers I have no issues.

Cant comment on the 22's

Cheers
 Googsy
2008 HSE TDV8

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder... 

Last edited by Googsy on 12th Jan 2008 4:50 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #24400712th Jan 2008 1:07 pm
simonsi

New Zealand 
Re: ADVICE NEEDED: 20" RRS Supercharged Alloys for a Di

n1cktdv6 wrote:
Steve,

Welcome.

I am toying with a set of 20's, I have 19's at the moment and like the RRS wheels. Al Cope has just fitted a set and BarryG is the man to talk about 'bling'...

22's...not sure they'll fit or look good...more techie chaps will be able to advise.

Nick Thumbs Up

Al has just taken them back off and returned to 19's from my last discuss with him, didn't like the feel of them on the road - not the ride but the whole feel of the car on the road - IMHO the D3 suspension allows too much roll to make best use of such wide tyres so that may be the issue, the RRS has much stiffer roll so holds the contact patch more evenly so I'm told....
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #24401912th Jan 2008 2:23 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Heres some 22"

Be carefull regarding the load rating...MrBling whos picture that is , had a lot of problems ..there is a post about it someware

EDIT ...here it is http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic9320.html?highlight=22+kahn
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #24403312th Jan 2008 2:52 pm
marcon

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Steve

Welcome to site Thumbs Up

I also run 20" Stormers like Googsy.They are fine on good surfaced roads,motorway driving e.t.c (Hard to find here in Ireland)but if you travel on back roads you really notice the difference.I had my original 18" wheels back on recently and was almost tempted to stick with them as ride improved greatly, but then I saw Googsys pictures and put Stormers back on 8)

I would def not run anything bigger than 20"and to be honest if I had 19" D3 wheels I would not change to Stormers.

All down to personal choice and taste at the end of the day.

Post #24404412th Jan 2008 3:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
n1cktdv6

Shocked

Well I'll stay on 19's then.....thanks chaps you have saved me some money....
3.6 TDV8 Vogue
XC90 SE Lux
A8 Quattro TDi
D3 SE 

Post #24404812th Jan 2008 4:01 pm
STEVEHOOPER

Thanks for info!!

Well - thank you all for your comments - i think the 22's will be too much and i dont want to sacrifice the ride that much that its not enjoyable etc

So - its going to be between the Stormers and the Supercharged wheels i guess. Im lending more toward the Supercharged at the moment.

Can someone tell me - are the Supercharged also known as the RRS V-spoke????

Steve

ps; anyone got any decent pics of a D3 with 20" Supercharged alloys???
 D3 TDV6 HSE  
Post #24404912th Jan 2008 4:09 pm
n1cktdv6

Re: Thanks for info!!

I think Al's were SC's ??
3.6 TDV8 Vogue
XC90 SE Lux
A8 Quattro TDi
D3 SE 

Post #24405012th Jan 2008 4:18 pm
Googsy

Ireland 

marcon wrote:
Hi Steve

Welcome to site Thumbs Up

I also run 20" Stormers like Googsy.They are fine on good surfaced roads,motorway driving e.t.c (Hard to find here in Ireland)but if you travel on back roads you really notice the difference.I had my original 18" wheels back on recently and was almost tempted to stick with them as ride improved greatly, but then I saw Googsys pictures and put Stormers back on 8)

I would def not run anything bigger than 20"and to be honest if I had 19" D3 wheels I would not change to Stormers.

All down to personal choice and taste at the end of the day.
you get new tyres yet?

8) 8) Thumbs Up
 Googsy
2008 HSE TDV8

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder... 

Post #24405612th Jan 2008 4:49 pm
al cope

England 

yes to few of these question:

yes, supercharged are also know as Vspokes
yes, thats what was on mine (pics in gallery)
yes, I've taken them back off

No, I dont think 295/45s will fit of Vspokes without rubbing the suspension, as 275/45's were very close.

If you are going the 275/45 route, buy good spec tyres (not the cheapest, as I think this was partly the reason mine felt "nervous" on the road)

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #24406312th Jan 2008 5:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
marcon

No Googsy still have Contis on back as the damage was minor when tyre people looked at it.

Prob will not go with Hankook because of load rating,I was impressed with Contis and got good mileage from them,but on price I will get Gen G's like yours and Barry G.

Another issue to watch out for Steve is load rating with 20".Lots of threads on this site regarding same. Thumbs Up

Post #24406512th Jan 2008 5:25 pm
STEVEHOOPER

Ok - so does anyone know if anyone has put 295's on a Supercharged/V-spoke alloy and got away with it with no rubbing issues???
 D3 TDV6 HSE  
Post #24406912th Jan 2008 5:32 pm
marcon

Totally agree with Al on this,had to have two Hankook fitted on front(temp measure) due to uneven tyre wear and they feel way different to Contis ,in wet especially.The 20" General uhp tyre seems to be getting Thumbs Up from users on this site and I think Ronp has experience of both Contis and General,so interesting for his take on this.

Post #24407012th Jan 2008 5:35 pm
al cope

England 

Steve

I recon there was about 5mm clearence from the tyre sidewall to the suspension upright with 275/45's on genuine LR 20" Vspokes, so I'd say no way to 295's on that rim. RonP has some aftermarket (copy) Stormers with 295s on, but these probably have a larger offset. He got them from DGT in essex, so local to you.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #24407412th Jan 2008 5:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >