Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

air bag light mot fail ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
dave-rsvr

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
air bag light mot fail ?

would the air bag light cause the car to fail an mot as it is due and i want to try and sort in my own time without paying loads of money
thanks
dave

Post #5049477th Aug 2009 9:31 pm
Quagmire

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Guess what, just had my MOT with my airbag light illuminated for the past 12 months.

I had booked it in with an Independant garage for a service and MOT. They called me to say that the airbag light was on and will fail an MOT. Cost of repair for clockspring and fitting aprrox £350 ish.

I then told him that the light doesn't constitute a failure so he went to check with the MOT man who said it was discrentionay!! So he passed the MOT but didn't give an Advice Notice for that!?!?

I spoke to the tester and he said that when the car is started there is a proceedure for the illumination of lights on the dash and if they do not come on or go off correctly, it will fail! I didn't want to push as to why he decided to let mine pass.

As I understand, it is not a failure, however it does seem pretty unclear.

I had a nasty feeling that the garage wanted me to get the work done! They also called me to say that the tyre wouldn't pass and told me that they had to fit one. When I did get the MOT there was an advice note for the tyre, which meant that it would have passed anyway!!

Cor, worse than stealers. Sorry for long post, i've just been reading the BBS ones Rolling Eyes (sorry)
 Giggity - Giggity  
Post #5049927th Aug 2009 10:42 pm
dave-rsvr

all a bit strange as some cars do not have that function so unfair if failed in my book but know most are out to rob us

Post #5050027th Aug 2009 10:46 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Airbag light is NOT a failure. ABS is. There is a requirement for the ABS light to go through a prescribed cycle, but not the airbag light. Sounds like your MOT tester got "a bit confused"
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #5050177th Aug 2009 11:06 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

MOT failure or not I'm surprised you've been driving around with the light on for 12 months, it's indicating there's an issue with the SRS system, definitely worth getting fixed before having an accident and discovering air bags or pre-tensioners don't work Shocked
 The End  
Post #5050347th Aug 2009 11:52 pm
Quagmire

Yes, it's a fair point and I am aware. 12 months is a long time, been to the stealers (Guy Salmon Thames Ditton usualy ok) about four times whilst in warranty and they didn't do a great deal!! They just kept re-setting it. At the last service with them they said would I like the airbag light fixed Rolling with laughter I suppose it's worth them having a go out of warranty and at my expense. Evil or Very Mad I told him the story and I declined their kind offer.

I know i need to get it done and this garage has said it's the clock spring on the diagnostics.

I might even go back to Guy Salmon and try being nice. Laughing

Either way it's a new clock spring, (hello TLO) Bow down

Arhh, they joys of the D3 electronics................

As always very helpful and informative from all of the forum, long may it continue. Thumbs Up
 Giggity - Giggity  
Post #5050558th Aug 2009 9:22 am
dave-rsvr

where and what is the clock spring,is it easy to do or must dealer do it

Post #50542010th Aug 2009 7:34 am
Quagmire

Clock spring or rotory coupler, is fitted to the steering wheel which connects all of the electronic control from the steering wheel to the car. I'm sure someone will give you a much better description! As far as I know you can do it yourself if you follow the procedures for removing airbag and steering wheel. Have a search on the forum because I believe that this has already been done. Part is about £200ish I think and my garage wanted a couple of hours to fit?

I might add that I know my airbag light fault is due to the clock spring, as there are a number of other faults with aibag lights You need to have a diagnostics check to determine this.
 Giggity - Giggity  
Post #50565510th Aug 2009 8:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >