Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Air to Coil Conversion
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
DavidSally

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Getting towards handbags at dawn stage. Already throwing the teddy out of the pram Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #18861343rd Dec 2017 2:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Samson66 wrote:
I invite you to have a drive of my vehicle instead of putting silly comments on here as I am bored of answering them with technical evidence having driven both you have only driven air.

YOU BORE ME Whistle Whistle Whistle Whistle Whistle

I'm not sure why you are so defensive as you made your choice some time ago. As for driving with and without air well quite a few of us have driven both, often in A vs B scenarios at the limit of what the vehicles can do. Some on the forum are rather accomplished test & development drivers and one of our number does the kind of dynamic testing that gives me shudders - testing vehicles to the limit with a caravan on the hitch(!).

So try to relax. There is always someone on the forum that knows more than anyone else on any particular subject. Sharing this knowledge and experience is deeply ingrained in this forum and there is no real need to try and change the opinion of others. Just stick with what you know and offer opinions on the rest whilst accepting the views of others.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #18861433rd Dec 2017 3:05 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Samson66 wrote:

........... its my business how I RISK MANAGE my vehicle ......where does yours go ....TESCO's

AAA is that you? Laughing
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #18861783rd Dec 2017 5:17 pm
hugeviking

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Having nearly being stuck in a fairly remote part of west Scotland because of a brake switch failure causing almost complete loss of power and lowered suspension, the best modification for me would be a switch i can operate that says to the car "ok, i know some relatively unimportant part has failed that is not actually stopping the engine from working, nor actually causing the suspension to fail, so ignore the fault and i will sort it when i get back. I'm sorry, but i still find the fact that the car can be almost completely disabled by a faulty bulb or brake switch quite pathetic. And if i was going across eg Africa where this could kill you, i think i would be riding on traditional springs.

And why do we have this buisness of fault codes, were we have to buy a reader to tell us the problem. Why not have the car give a list of possible problems directly, then you may decide it's not too important and operate that switch.

Luckily, I usually only go to tescos, so air does me.

Andi.

PS i had a spare switch, but wasn't prepared to kneel in snow and 50 mph wind on a single track road to work out how to change it.

Post #18862723rd Dec 2017 8:38 pm
A.J.M

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Wow, isn’t someone a bit defensive of their choices...

Can personally say I would never consider such a downgrade as the air gives so many benefits.

When mine goes to Morocco, it will be with the comfort of air suspension.
Will stick new struts under it, as I think I’ll have had my money out of the originals which were made in November 2004 according to their stickers. 167,545 and counting and still work as they did 13 years ago.

Maybe you just need to look after your stuff better.

Post #18864694th Dec 2017 2:03 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I can see that if you were doing some serious "Over Landing", simplicity makes sense. In which case, I'd choose an older model Land Cruiser and not a D3/4 in the first place.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #18864844th Dec 2017 3:23 pm
KostasA

Greece 

personally i would prefer to ride a bicycle than driving a land cruiser.

point here is not the actual air suspension, true if you maintain it is a very good feature. problem is the that car shuts down for no reason (sometimes) and then all these interlocks with the suspension and you find yourself trapped in the middle of nowhere.
although D3 is one of the nicest cars i ever drove in my life, if i have to go remotely i would take my defender or my classic range rover.
anyway that is a very long discussion the result is that electronics do have an issue....

Post #18865344th Dec 2017 5:49 pm
highlands

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

If you are mechanically minded you can always use a jumper on the compressor and valves to force it to get back to normal height, pull the fuses and it'll ride along happily enough.
That doesn't overcome complete airbag or compressor failure but they seem pretty rare compared to electrical system issues.
That said, an overhauled compressor and new airbags are unlikely to cause any issues, and other than the brake switch (which I think all D3 owners should be able to do blindfold! Wink) and the cable fraying issues in the wheel arches there seem to be relatively few system faults that cause much hassle with the suspension to my knowledge.

If you're happy with the coils, which you seem to be, that's great.
I'm very happy with the airbags.
Everybody's happy! Wink
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto
Grey 05 TDV6 HSE Auto (Gone)
54 TDV6 SE Man (killed by me Sad

Post #18865484th Dec 2017 6:40 pm
BHH

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3
Decisions decisions

My 06 D3 is now very high on front & low on rear, a few weeks ago she went down on all 4 a few times on a caravan journey, & has done the same a few times since, after pulling over & turning off/restarting it seemed to reset. I replaced the compressor a few years ago & now am nearly sorry I didn’t convert to springs then.... anyone got an ideas of costs for the spring conversion?

Post #19343337th Apr 2018 3:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
G_Cam

Scotland 2013 Discovery 3 3.0 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 3

On the assumption that you have a 7 seater.. going by your year and spec....
You cannot legally convert to springs iirc. Springs are only type approved for 5 seat Discos...
The conversion may very well invalidate your insurance... you could simply ask them I guess?

So, while technically quite possible, im not sure where it puts you in terms of type approval and insurance options..
 1 TR6 Rusting away quietly
1 FARR UTV SOLD
1 International Harvester SOLD
7 x D3 all SOLD
2 x D4 both SOLD
1 x Mrs D4 'Panther' SOLD
1 x Outlander van SOLD
1 continual stream of car parts and me living in the garage... 

Post #19346458th Apr 2018 5:57 pm
dubbs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

[quote="G_Cam”]
My Local Tesco is very small and I prefer Lidl and Aldi as they do have a much better range of Cutting Disks etc.. (when In Season!) Very Happy

Ref your conversion.. Good for you...

TBH I'm tempted to convert one of mine as I have had them both fail in the last week in terms of the Suspension Big Cry

Many a casual user might just conciser the upgrade an improvement over the air suspension.. Not too long ago buyers of second hand D2's used to body swerve ACE versions due to the costs.. and the Coil Spring versions were (still are?) seen as more reliable??[/quote]

Most are converting them back after realising it was only those that couldn’t afford to maintain the vehicle properly that really fall foul of issues and ACE actually does a good job for those that can afford the maintenance.

Notice that a lot now with the D3 being bought by those unwilling to maintain them properly.... very little reason to convert if you can afford to maintain and clue yourself up on the system - after all it’s the very DNA of a D3 and its versatility.
 MY15 DIY Black Pack (Better than factory and half the price!)
Prospeed rock/tree sliders w/steps
HSE Winter wheels
TransK9 B24
Travall Cargo Guard
Hatchbag 

Post #19346498th Apr 2018 6:16 pm
dubbs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4
Re: Decisions decisions

BHH wrote:
My 06 D3 is now very high on front & low on rear, a few weeks ago she went down on all 4 a few times on a caravan journey, & has done the same a few times since, after pulling over & turning off/restarting it seemed to reset. I replaced the compressor a few years ago & now am nearly sorry I didn’t convert to springs then.... anyone got an ideas of costs for the spring conversion?

Probably less cost to fix and maintain the air suspension than buy the 22” alloys... Whistle Very Happy
 MY15 DIY Black Pack (Better than factory and half the price!)
Prospeed rock/tree sliders w/steps
HSE Winter wheels
TransK9 B24
Travall Cargo Guard
Hatchbag 

Post #19346508th Apr 2018 6:17 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Sea Raider wrote:
In my opinion yes.
I've had a Discovery TD5 on air
I've had a P38 on air and now a 3 on air
one of the reasons being the ride, have driven both the TD5 and P38 on springs and was unimpressed, no reason to believe the 3 would be any different.
TD5 (7 seater) had the air on the rear due to the increased weight capacity of 7 bodies, presume the 3 is the same. Unsure if the 3 came with the option of springs from the factory. If not wonder as Gary says how it might affect your insurance as it would be seen as a modification

3 came with option for coils but only as a 5 seater, it cannot be used as a 7 seater without air
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #19346698th Apr 2018 7:54 pm
BHH

30 mile journey took 2 hours today with fault light coming on & bottoming - so frustrating 😡

Post #19346708th Apr 2018 7:59 pm
BHH

Post #19346748th Apr 2018 8:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >