DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Air saw ceramic blades
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Air saw ceramic blades

hi

will be doing my rear upper wishbones the end of the month and looking at Air saw blades

are the ceramic blades a waste of money please

seen these and wondering what the best TPi to use on the bolts please

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-SA34-B24....l4275.c10

just ensuring i’ve got everything in advance

also got the 4 x rear brake hoses and 2 x premade brake pipes, new caliper bleed nipples , meyle top knuckle bushes , meyle HD drop links and ARB bushes

thks as always in advance Thumbs Up

Post #19522379th Jun 2018 8:18 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Is the air saw any good? I ask as Ive never seen one that lives up to its name.

I bought a sawzall to do mine with, still havent done them yet!

Post #19522409th Jun 2018 8:22 pm
gstuart

hi

is a sealey air saw and never been used , kindly being lent if req for the bolts

also seen these , as there 14 Tpi

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-SA34-B14....l4275.c10

assume i don’t want a rigid blade and no point buying cheap crap

also ordered a universal bush extractor kit for the top bush , always handy to have for all the other bushes Whistle

Post #19522479th Jun 2018 8:37 pm
Discomadness

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I’ve used an airsaw for years. It all depends on the compressors ability to supply continuous working pressure...also quality of blades. I generally use hacksaw blades cut down. Usually because when I need it I don’t have proper blades for it and the one I have just accepts the squared off hacksaw blade. My 240 recipe saw works far better with Bosch blades. Don’t even bother with erbaur blades from the people who fix screws. Absolute crap.
 Jarrod

Current : D3 2007 HSE - AKA the lemon
-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs
-club body off rebuild. TWICE. 

Post #19522599th Jun 2018 9:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gstuart

hi disco

many thks, my compressor is only a 50 x litre which runs at max of 120psi, tool only need a max of 90psi , did install an oiler and regulator to make life easier for different tools

agree , always a false economy in getting cheap blades , thks for the warning about the erauber blades

the sealey 14 Tpi blades don’t look too bad

never know the bolts might just come undone, Rolling with laughter , who am i kidding Whistle

Post #19522639th Jun 2018 9:10 pm
Discomadness

Hiya mate.
No prob. I think free air delivery is more important than pressure etc. I’ve got a big homemade frankencompressor, I built it years ago because couldn’t afford a decent one and came by a guyson sand blasting cabinet etc. It runs all my air stuff no prob.

I’ve got all this to look forward to. I’ve finally managed to put my 2 post ramp up, the disco will be lifted mon/tues so my thread will light up soon after I’m sure. Lol. Can’t wait to get the body off now. I’ve had my modified crossover back... lots going on with her. Thumbs Up
 Jarrod

-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs

Post #19523029th Jun 2018 11:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sputnixb51

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

There’s a post somewhere about the job, gentleman who posted it reckons Bosch 18tpi worked the best and lasted, can’t help with ceramic option except I know someone with ceramic knives and although razor sharp you only have to twist them while cutting and they shatter, and they were very expensive. Good luck.

Post #19523079th Jun 2018 11:33 pm
gstuart

Discomadness wrote:
Hiya mate.
No prob. I think free air delivery is more important than pressure etc. I’ve got a big homemade frankencompressor, I built it years ago because couldn’t afford a decent one and came by a guyson sand blasting cabinet etc. It runs all my air stuff no prob.

I’ve got all this to look forward to. I’ve finally managed to put my 2 post ramp up, the disco will be lifted mon/tues so my thread will light up soon after I’m sure. Lol. Can’t wait to get the body off now. I’ve had my modified crossover back... lots going on with her. Thumbs Up

cheers

so jealous ref the post lift and indeed got to make life soooooooo much easier Mr. Green

think my compressor is only around 10 Cfm so hopefully will be ok , just trying to make sure i haven’t forgotten anything Whistle

plse don’t forget the pics Thumbs Up

Post #19523099th Jun 2018 11:37 pm
gstuart

sputnixb51 wrote:
There’s a post somewhere about the job, gentleman who posted it reckons Bosch 18tpi worked the best and lasted, can’t help with ceramic option except I know someone with ceramic knives and although razor sharp you only have to twist them while cutting and they shatter, and they were very expensive. Good luck.

hi

many thks Thumbs Up

have been searching and to date couldn’t find anything ref the blades , indeed need them to be flexible

always remember from my plumbing apprenticeship days cutting up old cold water tanks where it would eat blades at an alarming rate

once done my mot is due end of july , will be a big relief once the wishbones and mot is all done , then finally getting the alignment all done

will be good fun trying to get the wishbone camber back near enough , seeing i will be fitting new arms and bolts Whistle

Post #19523109th Jun 2018 11:43 pm
Discomadness

gstuart wrote:
Discomadness wrote:
Hiya mate.

cheers

so jealous ref the post lift and indeed got to make life soooooooo much easier Mr. Green

think my compressor is only around 10 Cfm so hopefully will be ok , just trying to make sure i haven’t forgotten anything Whistle

Iirc air saws generally use 14cfm but I might have made that up.... I will do a total photo heavy write up dude.
Ref flexibility I use a recip saw often in work. The blades are quite flexible so looking at the rear arms I think you’ll have no prob using it for the rear bushes. I intend to change my rear arms with the body off regardless of their condition unless I find they are new. Lol. What’s the chances ?
I’ve got tons to do. I must be mental. Crossover pipe, intercooler/turbo pipes, timing belt kit, brake pipes brake flexies (thinking of doing stainless braided) all discs pads epb stuff. Gearbox checks. Rustproofing. You name it.
 Jarrod

-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs

Post #19523159th Jun 2018 11:55 pm
Erea

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I presume those bolts are 8.8, Buy a similar size in your local hardware shop and test out your saw on it to see if it’s up to the job.

Post #195231810th Jun 2018 12:03 am
Discomadness

Excellent idea
 Jarrod

-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs

Post #195232210th Jun 2018 12:11 am
Kingmav66

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I don't know about the air-saw, but I used a 110v recip saw and had no problems. Slow, steady and plenty of cutting fluid was the key Thumbs Up

Post #195233010th Jun 2018 1:05 am
Discomadness

Ah yes we’ll pointed out. Cutting fluid and low speed is the key.
 Jarrod

-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs

Post #195233110th Jun 2018 1:12 am
gstuart

Discomadness wrote:
gstuart wrote:
Discomadness wrote:
Hiya mate.

cheers

Iirc air saws generally use 14cfm but I might have made that up.... I will do a total photo heavy write up dude.
Ref flexibility I use a recip saw often in work. The blades are quite flexible so looking at the rear arms I think you’ll have no prob using it for the rear bushes. I intend to change my rear arms with the body off regardless of their condition unless I find they are new. Lol. What’s the chances ?
I’ve got tons to do. I must be mental. Crossover pipe, intercooler/turbo pipes, timing belt kit, brake pipes brake flexies (thinking of doing stainless braided) all discs pads epb stuff. Gearbox checks. Rustproofing. You name it.

this air saw wants a max of 90 psi or 6.5 Cfm so indeed mine being around 10 Cfm i hope it will be ok

sounds like ur going to have some fun, Whistle but indeed made considerably easier with the lift , at the end of the day it gives u peace of mind it’s all done and dusted

really looking forward to the pics , will u also have to replace the body mounts

hope all goes well and will keep an eye out for the thread Thumbs Up

Post #195244310th Jun 2018 10:38 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >