Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Air Suspension will not stay level across the rear axle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 6 <123456
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

hi mate

if it wasn’t dropping before and now it is i would also conclude there to be a leak on the inlet pipe to the rear valve

i messed around with my front and reservoir valve and just ended up fitting new ones, seeing they were the originals, fitted a new tank at the same time

aplogises going off subject , Whistle if u put urs into off road height can u get some soapy water onto the pipes to see if there’s any leaks

it’s only a few mm though , think there is a 10mm acceptable tolerance with the suspension

know from past pictures urs useto lean to one side, does it still do that

suppose u could see how it goes over the next few days , in the mean time trying some soapy water on the rear valve for leaks since removing it

u know ur be itching to get back working on it and won’t be able to sit down and end up fitting a new rear valve, lol

all the best and can understand the frustration

Post #187407931st Oct 2017 11:43 am
Skagg

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi gstuart
I did do a soap test on the valve when I refitted it and couldn't see anything but I've picked up some leak detection spray today to do a more thorough job.

If that doesn't show anything it will be sat unused for an extended period in the coming weeks so we'll see then if it continues to drop.

Regarding the evenness across the rear axle it does look better at the moment but I've not had time to test it thoroughly

Thumbs Up
 MY16 D4 Landmark SDV6 (The Ice Maiden)
Uncle Ray's spare wheel protector
MY08 D3 HSE Stornoway (Miss Moneypit) The money tree withered...... 

Post #187437331st Oct 2017 10:52 pm
gstuart

hi skagg

good to hear you’ve made some progress and fingers crossed you’ve narrowed it down and leading onto a permanent resolution

hopefully the leak detector fluid will help u find any leak

been trying to think if the valve seals leak internally on the rear block if it could have caused the cross axle unevenness??

Thumbs Up

Post #187437931st Oct 2017 11:00 pm
Skagg

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi,

So the vehicle has been sat on the drive for 3 days & I've measured the drop every 12 hours or so & in total the vehicle has dropped all round 6mm from the original height. On day 3 it didn't seem to drop at all.

Another check today with leak detection spray on the rear valve block didn't show up any leaks.

I've also followed SHMBO for a few miles to see if the unevenness cross the rear axle exists whilst in motion. It does. The only way i can describe viewing the issue under motion is as though the NSR strut is softer than the OSR. Some of the time the vehicle looks level, other times it's clearly lower on the NS or higher on the OS. Watching the lower suspension arms, the NS look like it's moving alot more than the OS but that may just be due to the the poor road surface near the gutter.

I think I've drawn a blank & don't have any further thoughts on why it's doing it or how to fix it.

I'm going to have to bite the bullet & get it into the dealer in December to hopefully find the issue. Big Cry

Post #18756334th Nov 2017 5:48 pm
gstuart

hi skagg

sorry to hear it didn’t resolve the issue Big Cry

will be interesting to see what the culprit was in the end

all the best and know you’ve virtually checked everything within the suspension system

Post #18764506th Nov 2017 9:35 pm
Skagg

Hi,

Time for an update. I took the D3 to the dealers mid December for them to look into my uneven suspension problem.

Gave them the lo down on what had been changed & adjusted etc over recent months.

They elected to start with a simple health check & re calibration of the suspension on their equipment rather than jump in with changing valve blocks like i was asking them to do.

The health check on the suspension indicated everything was in order hardware wise.

The re calibration though showed the suspension settings & measurements to be wildly out on all accounts. They reset everything to original spec & lo & behold the truck has been behaving itself ever since.

That was 13 days ago, previously it would have begun to show signs of unevenness before now, so i'm confident it's sorted.

This leads to the question, what does their calibration do that the IID tool doesn't? Those that have followed this thread will know I have calibrated the suspension numerous times using both the manual & guided options on the IID tool.

I do have to say that my experience with the local dealer in Saltash, Cornwall for my 10 year old Disco has been a very positive one. As they weren't sure if this re calibration would fix it they didn't charge me & said see how it goes. On previous occasions they have been priced very reasonably when compared to local Indy's & of course offer 2 yr parts & labour.

So whilst main dealers do come in for a bit of grief from time to time on forums they aren't all bad Thumbs Up

Post #189436927th Dec 2017 4:13 pm
gstuart

hi

that’s great news and finally resolved Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #189457028th Dec 2017 12:00 am
jaws_172

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 3

Skagg wrote:

This leads to the question, what does their calibration do that the IID tool doesn't? Those that have followed this thread will know I have calibrated the suspension numerous times using both the manual & guided options on the IID tool.

Interesting question, Pat maybe able to shed some light, are you certain all LR did was re calibrate? I’ve read this post in length as I have the same issue. Leaning to RNS. Will ponder Rolling Eyes
 05 D3 S - Gone but never forgotten
EGRs blanked
19” HSE wheels
Prospeed mk1 roof basket
Front runner rear ladder
06 D3 HSE- Sold
GAP IID Tool
"In my defence I was left unsupervised" 

Post #201326628th Dec 2018 10:00 pm
Skagg

Hi,

It's been 12 months now & no further issues (with the suspension at least!) Nothing was changed on the car when at the dealers, just the re calibration.

I never got to the bottom of why i couldn't calibrate it correctly with the IID tool or why it went wonky in the first place & TBH I haven't gone anywhere near the suspension settings since!

Cheers n Gone Nick Thumbs Up

Post #201331829th Dec 2018 10:39 am
Littlewill

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Great thread!

Its really helpful when someone has an issue and follows it through with the end fix too! Thank you Thumbs Up

Post #201333829th Dec 2018 11:38 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 6 <123456
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >