DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Alarm / Security System
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Beaker wrote:
The alarm on my brand-new D3 tests itself automatically every couple of hours
Beaker, definitely sounds like there's a problem with the CJB communication to the alarm sounder
I know you said you had the software update carried out but it's still possible that the CCF (car configuration file) is incorrect with respect to the type of alarm sounder fitted. It's also possible that the CJB is faulty or has a corrupted download

Post #827275th Sep 2006 11:33 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Beaker

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

10FC, yes, they updated the CJB software (I have to translate here from the dutch terms I gleaned from the dealer's PC screen, everything is in dutch there...).
But would a communication problem between the CJB and alarm sounder result in a 'interior alarm' message in the maintenance logs (called something like 'reasons for alarm' as I recall from the screen)? Because that was shown 9 or 10 times as the reason the alarm went off.

This CCF, can the dealer just edit that to reflect the proper parts installed? Is it a sort of config file for the CJB or what?
I assume that CJB stands for 'Central Junction Box'? What is the function of that unit, is it dedicated to the alarm or does it have a more general function?

The dealer suggests that the 'interior sensor unit' (I have no clue how it is actually called) is at fault, and they are going to replace that on friday. Do you expect that replacing that unit will fix these problems? Or should I already plan some more visits to the dealer? Smile

I realize that I ask a lot of questions, but the knowledge on this forum seems to go much deeper than that of the mechanics at the dealer (or maybe they just want to keep their secrets Wink ). It is nice to learn more about the actual technology of the car.
Where did you guys learn all this? Thanks for all the patience you have with newbies like me! Bow down
 Zermatt Silver 2006 Zermatt Silver TDV6 'SE' Auto, Mantec sump guard, Frontrunner roofrack, Lightforce 140s, split charge system and... a Jetboil.
Powered by  

Post #828065th Sep 2006 3:54 pm
dflo

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

TFC - it's all smoke and mirrors innit Question - Wink

or...

FTC - s'ti lal somke anf mrriors iinnt Question - Wink Wink
 "Funny, mine doesn't do that......."  
Post #828095th Sep 2006 3:59 pm
10forcash

Discoflo..... more than you think Rolling Eyes
Beaker, the CCF cannot be edited like a text file - not by the dealers anyway, it's compiled by ticking (or not) boxes on the screen of the WDS / IDS computer. It's important that the CCF is uploaded to WDS / IDS before ant software upgrades are carried out, then re-downloaded to the vehicle on completion.
You are correct about the anacronym CJB... Wink it is not just a wiring junction box, it has it's own software and is therefore updatable and addressable, for example, it takes inputs from the light switches to turn on or off the transistors that power the lights, hence the reason why no indicator relay is fitted on the Disco3 and it takes a visit to the dealer to enable additional driving lights Evil or Very Mad
If the DTC (diagnostic trouble code) is indicating that the sensors are at fault, I have no reason to doubt it (or the dealers diagnosis), although it may be worth checking for cascaded DTC's in case there is a loss of communication on the LIN (local interconnect network) that carries the alarm signals.
There have been several updates to the DTC logging, both on the vehicle and on WDS / IDS itself so they should now be pretty accurate and less prone to misinterpretation by 'less well trained' dealer staff Wink

DTC's can also be logged for simpler things such as poorly made connections, sometimes it's easy to look to deeply into things... Sad

Post #828175th Sep 2006 4:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Beaker

10FC, thanks for your lengthy answer. If I understand correctly, if there is only DTC's pointing to the interior motion sensor, that would be the likely culprit. If there are more DTC's pointing to various other events/units, it could be a communications failure with the CJB? Or did I completely misunderstand what you wrote?

As far as the CCF goes, I can't really remember exactly what the mechanic did, but he selected the CJB from a list of items, got a list of available updates, selected those and after some time it was completed. I did not witness any specific action that downloaded configuration from the vehicle, and restoring it later.
After plugging in the WDS/IDS on the vehicle he did go through a cycle of answering questions about the vehicle (diesel, xenon lamps, etc) and switching the ignition on and off various times, but that is probably something different. Funny that the vehicle does not supply that info itself...

Is all (or most) signalling between devices like lamps and controls actually done via databuses on the D3? Shocked Or is there traditional 'analog' wiring still?
 Zermatt Silver 2006 Zermatt Silver TDV6 'SE' Auto, Mantec sump guard, Frontrunner roofrack, Lightforce 140s, split charge system and... a Jetboil.
Powered by  

Post #828215th Sep 2006 4:36 pm
10forcash

Beaker, pretty much got it in one...
They need to upload the CCF before any downloads to save them having to 'tick all the boxes' afterwards though Rolling Eyes
There's not much analogue switching on the Disco3, data communications include:-
High speed CAN
Low speed CAN
MOST
LIN (s)

DTC's can be misleading if there is a dodgy connector causing the faults (i'm not saying there is in this case) as loss of communication can lead the relevant CPU to log an erroneous fault purely due to a poor connection....

Post #828955th Sep 2006 10:07 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Another possibility is an un-welcome resident in your D3!

I had a Volvo with an alarm that went off very regularly. Turned out to be a spider living in the headlining, everytime he popped out of his little house (via the motion sensor) he set off the sirens.

No software fix for that, just a rolled up newspaper will do Wink

Post #829035th Sep 2006 10:19 pm
Beaker

What a lovely high-tech machine this is! I will just let the dealer replace the motion sensor and see if that fixes the problem. If not, I will rolll up some newspapers and do some serious debugging Evil or Very Mad We do have a lot of spiders around the house at the moment. Btw, my previous car was a Volvo V70, with alarm, but that never suffered from this problem. Maybe the D3 is more sensitive, or maybe the spiders are bigger this year Very Happy
Where is that sensor actually located in the car? Is it just one sensor or are there more of them in the car?

Thanks again for your help, if you guys (I assume Shocked ) ever come to Holland I will take you out for some beers Exclamation