Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Alpine Roof Monitor Install - done!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
simonsi

New Zealand 
Alpine Roof Monitor Install - done!

Hot on the heels of completing the Satnav install, I today (nearly) completed the AV install with the Alpine 10" Roof monitor and Veba DVD changer.

DVD changer siting was limited realistically to under the centre middle row seat, it is away from rear row feet and will only need removing if the centre seat needs collapsing to the flat floor position. (all cables on the Veba simply unplug at the changer so easy to drop it out as needed).

Here it is viewed from the rear footwell:
Click image to enlarge

The black box for the Alpine monitor is doublesided taped to the top of the Alpine stanav brick under the front passenger seat.

Removing the interior light cluster leaves a square hole that is nicely just smaller than the monitor mounting plate. The cable from the monitor took minutes to run across the roof, above the curtain airbag and down the passenger B pillar, under the sill tread plate and under the passenger seat to the black box. I already had power run there for the satnav and front monitor to link it to. Cables from the Veba simply run fwd under the rubber floor mat to the front passenger seat.

The roof monitor mounting plate went into the roof after being bent slightly at the side edges to let the monitolr seat on it fully but it still sandwich the edge of the interior light aperture - no holes in the roof lining required and the monitor is really stable with no other fixings required.

Some experimenting with a meter and the interior lights let me link up the built-in lights in the monitor to the existing interior light wiring so it works in tandem with the front and boot interior lights. The Alpine light is noticably whiter than the standard D3 but it works, soft shutdown and all.

Here it is open for business:
Click image to enlarge

Audio output is both via buit-in (to the monitor) IR headphone transmitter (headphones stored in the boot area top cubbies), and cabled into the rear console aux socket if audio via the stereo is required (I´ll tidy this up by running it to the connector behind the passenger kick panel at the next opportunity).

Finally, the IR receiver for the DVD changer runs fwd, under the passenger seat, along the passenger sill and up the A pillar to sit, held by its cable to the top of the dash at the base of the A pillar. (it can just be seen in the pic above)

I have to say that the D3, in conjunction with the advice and threads on this site make the install of this stuff so easy, comparable kit into my previous D2 took 3-4 days to install Shocked
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #22399914th Nov 2007 7:52 am
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Very very nice Thumbs Up

I too need to remove my interior lighting cluster soon - is it the usual LR method of brute force and ignorance until 22 metal clips let go?
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #22405114th Nov 2007 1:49 pm
simonsi

New Zealand 

Ha! Kind of, there are three plastic trim clips, a vertical pull down is the direction to go in, the clips go straight into a substantial rib running across the car.... two clips are above the lights, the 3rd is above the space for the a/c controls (whether you have them or not)...
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #22407114th Nov 2007 3:05 pm
Scott_Fred

2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi,

Looks great, it´s almost exactly what I want to do....

When you remove the light cluster unit, are the cables there to power the Alpine Head Unit ? ie.... Battery Live, Gnd, Switched connection ? I assume power cables are there, so that the light cluster can be powered ? ?

I´m getting the Unit with Built In DVD player, so that it is easier to install and I was hoping that I would not have to run cables all over if there are indeed the required cables behind the light cluster.... ?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers Scott.

Post #37141710th Nov 2008 1:40 pm
jkp

Scotland 

A very neat install simon Thumbs Up I have two screens mounted over each front seat, but would have preferred a larger single size.

I'm currently looking at how to plug in an output from a PSP or PS3 within the car.

Post #37142210th Nov 2008 1:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Scott_Fred wrote:

I´m getting the Unit with Built In DVD player, so that it is easier to install and I was hoping that I would not have to run cables all over if there are indeed the required cables behind the light cluster.... ?

Hi Scott,

I've already posted an answer about this in the thread you opened here:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post371384.html#371384

Yes you can patch into the light panel socket for your 'Door' 12V, but that is just a switching wire - there's hardly any current drawn from it.

Remember that the DVD screen will need upto 1A in use, so don't think about trying to tap into the light circuits to power the DVD + screen. You'll need to run separate cables up to the roof for this purpose.

If it helps I think you might be able to get your 12V ign and earth wires connected to the 12V socket in the boot - that's what I'm going to try and do. I'll let you know Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #37143010th Nov 2008 1:55 pm
simonsi

New Zealand 

Scott_Fred wrote:
.... Battery Live, Gnd, Switched connection ?

There is 12V and GND but I'm not sure whether the 12V is switched or not, I didn't pay too much attention as I needed to site the black box elsewhere and just use the cables in the roof for powering the interior lights built-in to the Alpine unit...

If you need to run extra cables then down the B-pillar is very easy....remember to go up and over any air bags... Shocked
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #37143210th Nov 2008 1:57 pm
Eero

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Hello Simon,

Don't you think the display is too close to the back/middle seat and also too vertical (assuming it doesn't open more than that)? I've got the 8.5" Alpine which is similar but a tad smaller. I had the same plan as you, but decided to place the display in front of the interior lights. This way the viewing angle is much better and the kids don't get their necks misplaced while watching Pocahontas Smile

EDIT: just realized that you have a sunroof where I've got the display.. Anyway, if someone is planning a similar installation, it might be worthwhile to check both locations.

BR,

Eero

Post #37144910th Nov 2008 2:35 pm
simonsi

New Zealand 

Works fine with my kids - been in a year with no neck injuries Very Happy You also, in the UK at least, need to be absolutely sure the screen cannot be viewed from the drivers seat so it needs to be behind the drivers head IMHO.
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #37148510th Nov 2008 3:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >