Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Alpine TME-M740BT Monitor - any experience
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
simonsi

New Zealand 
Alpine TME-M740BT Monitor - any experience

Anyone already fitted one of these? I have one, sourced from the US, perfect fit across the "S" aperture, fits vertically without the need to cut the dash and still looks pretty neat but does anyone have any prior experience? If not I´ll post pics and details once fitted.

Main reason for choosing it was it enabled Alpine navigation touch-screen control (I already had the NVE099P Alpine nav removed from previous D2), also can display 1 aux source (DVD changer from previous D2), and rear view camera (also from previous D2), and it looked like a reasonable fit for the aperture in the dash, Bluetooth car kit integration was a complete plus - although I´m a bit cynical on any Bluetooth compatibility claims...) Shocked

Edited to corect my screwed-up topic speling Very Happy
 Cheers

Simon 

Last edited by simonsi on 10th Nov 2007 9:34 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #2224488th Nov 2007 11:36 pm
VHA1

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Alpine TME-M740BT Monitor

I have been looking in to buying one of these screens for my disco.

Have you had any problems fitting it? can you give any advise on the best way to fit? This is the only screen that I can find to fit into the gap, but do you have to make a surround?

please can you post some pic's?

Post #2226309th Nov 2007 5:29 pm
simonsi

New Zealand 

It'll be going in this weekend, looks like it will only require double-sided tape on the sides to hold it as it is a really snug fit. I'll be fitting it vertically unlike the LR-fit screens as this suits the height, means you don't have to chop the dash other than for cable access and may be better for glare. No surround needed - and no room if you wanted one!

Just got to be brave enough to get the audio surround off (gather it needs large tug...)

Will post pics when done...
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #2226349th Nov 2007 5:35 pm
VHA1

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Best of luck with the installation...... I'll look forward to seeing the pictures.

just a thought, fitting it vertically will this not affect the viewing of the screen?

Regards

James

Post #2226439th Nov 2007 5:46 pm
simonsi

New Zealand 

Not as far as I can tell, fixing the screen will be the last step though once all cables are run and it is live so I can check the angle etc is OK. Modern screens seem to have such a wide viewing angle, much better than LCDs of old where there was only a single viewing angle and the screen was invisible at any other.... Very Happy
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #2226469th Nov 2007 5:50 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Good find Simonsi , found this one on ebay , decent price. Thumbs Up

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALPINE-TME-M740BT-7-...dZViewItem

Post #2226489th Nov 2007 5:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simonsi

New Zealand 

That's where I got mine, very fast service and shipping, had to pay £32 customs etc on arrival but that seems to still give £100+ saving over the UK price of £290ish.

I chose it as

a) I Like Alpine gear, had a multimedia station in the D2 for 7yrs, worked faultlessly

b) I kept the Alpine NVE099P satnav unit so wanted a monitor solution to work with that too.

c) Possibility of the integrated bluetooth car kit feature was a pure plus - a test run didn't give as much volume as I would like so I'll have to see how usable it is in practice...
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #2226499th Nov 2007 6:01 pm
Wex

I take it it fits across the horizontal of the cubby slot snugly , does it protrude much over the top ?

Post #2226529th Nov 2007 6:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simonsi

New Zealand 

Here´s a rather poor camera phone image of a trial fit, the final fit will be lower as I will cut the mat to allow the screen to sit direct on the dash but hopefully you can see the general idea.

Click image to enlarge
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #2227649th Nov 2007 10:46 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Not Alpine ...but you might get some excellent tips from here:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic10514.h...et+sat+nav
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021 

Last edited by DG on 9th Nov 2007 11:16 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #2227779th Nov 2007 11:09 pm
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

simonsi, Looks ok but..

Could you take another pic of it set at an angle?

Go on!

Please!

Thumbs Up

Post #2227789th Nov 2007 11:14 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

DD look at the link above Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #2227799th Nov 2007 11:18 pm
simonsi

New Zealand 

DG wrote:
Not Alpine ...but you might get some excellent tips from here:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic10514.h...et+sat+nav

Yes thanks I´d seen that thread and have it printed out for reference. I´ll angle and post for comparison but bear in mind the Alpine screen is 100mm tall rather than the 121mm of the Kenwood so angled should leave a gap....but still need to hack the dash base to sit the monitor back in place....so kind of worst of all worlds as far as I could make out. Big fitting day tomorrow so wish me luck!
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #2227839th Nov 2007 11:25 pm
Wex

That's a neat looking fit Simon.
Thanks !

Post #2227849th Nov 2007 11:26 pm
simonsi

New Zealand 

OK, install done, here´s the angled pic

Click image to enlarge

Now this seemed to create more glare but also I couldn´t fit it at this angle without a substantial hack of the dashboard so I declined and went with the vertical fit.

Here´s the hole cut for the cable:

Click image to enlarge

and here is the finished fit:

Click image to enlarge

I mounted the NVE-099P under the front passenger seat, on top of the air ducting. TMC aerial was on the passenger side rear quarter window, power pickup was from the trailer cable wiring accessed in the rear LH access hatch in the boot. Also here went the box for the reversing camera. Camera itself went on the upper hatch centreline so is inside the car, looking out through a bit of screen cleared by the rear wiper. All cables routed forward inside the boot trim, down the wheelarch and along the sill trim panel.

The cable for the monitor went fwd from the passenger seat under the sill trim, up through a vent grill in the footwell, up through the area behind the vent/coin tray/drink holder, then horizontally under the upper glovebox liner and up through the centre cubby moulding as shown.

Really simple install BUT the US-sourced monitors seem to have an additional feature, there are handbrake AND footbrake line to connect to enable the setup screen, these aren´t as simple as tying them to ground to bypass the feature (as with the NVE-099P), so while I managed to access the setup screen in the lounge on a testbed the night before I can´t yet access the setup screen in the car. It is quite usable at the moment but needs changes to the dimmer settings and the bluetooth output etc to refine it....watch this space!

I´m also not sure what the sequence of foot and handbrake is to enable the setup screen as it doesn´t seem to be referenced in the manual!!
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #22326411th Nov 2007 10:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >