Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Alternator Charge Voltage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
RichardK

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3
Alternator Charge Voltage

Can anyone tell me the charge rate of the alternator for the TDV6 at the battery?

Post #18085423rd Jul 2007 1:21 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I assume you just mean the voltage shown across the battery with engine running, mine is around the 15v mark with no extra demands on it. (higher than all my other cars which were 13.5v ish.) Wink

Post #18092423rd Jul 2007 4:03 pm
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Voltage should also drop to around 13.8 when the battery is fully charged

Post #18096623rd Jul 2007 5:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi Richard, unlike other vehicles, D3s do not have a set standard voltage level and one of the many things that can have an effect on the voltage is the surrounding temperature and the lower the temperature, the higher the voltage.

The charging voltage on a D3 is anywhere from 13.5 to 15.7.

At Christmas last year, I measured my wife's D3 and got a reading of 13.4 but it was 40 outside.

So what voltage reading are you getting and what is the temperature where you are.

Cheers.
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #18135624th Jul 2007 12:42 pm
RichardK

Hello Drivesafe,

The dealer has said they replaced my alternator last week under warranty as the old one was not within spec on the charge rate, I measured the new one at 13.2 V at idle and no increase under revs.
The reason I am pursuing this is I firmly believe that the low charge rate at idle (prior to the new alternator was 12.56V) is the culprit for my handling and suspension electronics failing.
I have logged the failures and without exception they all happen when I come down to idle when stopping or at idle when stopped, never at speed, so there is no suspension activity only a voltage drop.
I add that the battery is not fully charged at 12.2 V although my battery supplier tells me that it is still OK.
It seems that the alternator (even the new one cannot fully charge it) is not up to the job therefore I question the charge rate
I'd appreciate your comments.

Post #18137324th Jul 2007 1:12 pm
catweasel

has your battery recently had a bench charge as the D3 will not be able to fully restore a depleted battery.

Post #18138524th Jul 2007 1:34 pm
RichardK

No, that will probably done this weekend if I'm not out $wding in the gales that are forecast.
I'm not sure my charger is OK for it though, I understand that a specific charger may be required?

Post #18139724th Jul 2007 1:46 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi again Richard, that’s way too low and you will never charge either of your batteries with that voltage.

I would be going back to the dealer and having them check out your whole electrical system.

There is a thread on here somewhere, relating to a loose connector behind the battery box that can have some strange effects.

While this is probably not your problem, it may be something similar.

In this day and age having one alternator play up is not that common but to have two, down right s and most definitely points in another direction.

One thing to try, is to disconnect the SC80 for a few days, it may be your auxiliary battery that’s causing the problem but that’s a very long shot but worth trying if for no other reason but to rule it out as the problem.

Cheers and keep us informed.

Cheers.
Post #18142924th Jul 2007 2:35 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

catweasel wrote:
has your battery recently had a bench charge as the D3 will not be able to fully restore a depleted battery.

Hi cat, because of the charging regime in a D3, it is actually far better at charging a low battery than most vehicles but even so, because of the current rate these vehicles are capable of producing and the fact that the battery is still starting the D3, the vehicle voltage should be higher.

With a good checking out, it may come down to something as simple as a bad connection or loose terminal.

Cheers
Post #18143324th Jul 2007 2:42 pm
RichardK

Drivesafe: I took a battery voltage check at lunchtime today-12 2 V, then took a check of the charge voltage- 13.46V, then battery again- 12.6 V. Left it for 45 minutes- battery check-11.95V.
Went to my battery supplier checked the battery-about 80% efficient but they confirmed that the charge rate was not enough to keep the battery charged. Bought a new battery, it was getting on to 3 years old, and down to the dealer, the service adviser took all the details, conferred with his head tech and returned saying 13.6 should be OK that confirmed that these people have really no idea what they are dealing with. I then told him that the type of battery needed a minimum of 14.5 volts to charge it fully, his reply?, I thought they had an ordinary battery!!!
I would have thought a fully trained LR tech would know these elementry things!
Anyway at the moment this LR dealer needs to contact LR for information on how to deal with this problem.

I am more convinced that this problem is the cause of my suspension dropouts, in fact with the new batter today there were no more occurances........while it is fully charged anyway.

Post #18331627th Jul 2007 2:12 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi Richard, I would still be looking at loose connections.

If you were getting 13.46 and the battery was only 12.6, there is something very wrong.

While the motor is running, ( if it was when you checked the battery ) the battery voltage should be the same.

Now, if you took a voltage measurement while the motor was running and then turned the engine off and checked the battery, if the battery was not fully charged in the first place then a voltage drop of what you experienced is not surprising.

One thing I should have asked was how much driving are you doing.

Cheers.
Post #18332127th Jul 2007 2:43 pm
RichardK

between 120 to 150 K's a day

Post #18332327th Jul 2007 2:49 pm
Jamo

Australia 

RichardK wrote:

I would have thought a fully trained LR tech would know these elementry things!

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Good one! Rolling with laughter

You didn't take it to a certain SOR stealer did you? Banging Head
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #18352728th Jul 2007 1:29 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RichardK

Yes Jamo I did, and I have let them know that I am very unimpressed with their knowledge of the product they sell and service.

The latest update is that after nI told them what I thought about their knowledge of their product they rang me and said "yes we believe that your alternator should be charging at a higher rate:.....DOOOHHHH!!!

It went in today for their fix (?) on that plus their third attempt to rewire my electronic brake control which they said I had wired incorrectly..............funny though it never played up when I did it................

Post #1863276th Aug 2007 2:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >