Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Alternator Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Alternator Failure

Hi,, Looking for a little advice, I have an 05 Plate TDV6 SE, Its suddenly developed a problem with (I think the Alternator).

It has been running perfectly, was stopped for appx 30 min and when I went back to it, The remote locking wouldn't open. After gaining entry through the passenger door, Turning the key in the ignition didn't even bring on the ignition lights. After a bit of testing I discovered the battery was absoulotely stone dead until I removed the Positive lead.

The battery then tested ok, well it lit a screwdriver tester, Being in the middle of nowhere I had limited tools. On re-connecting the lead there was a lot of arcing, leading me to believe it was a dead short on the main battery cable to the starter. Disconnecting the supplementary cable leading to the fusebox confirmed this.

I then pinched a fully charged battery from a friends vehicle which allowed me to start the Discovery, however after only a few seconds I had a huge array of almost every warning message I've ever seen appear in quick succesion, with the dash display, sat nav etc etc all flashing.

Fearing further damage, all was disconnected and recovery arranged, now under more controlled testing there appears to be no damage to any cabling, no obvious burning or arcing that I can see and the car will start with a new battery in it and run fine for some time, until a load is applied. It all appears to point to the alternator.

Has anyone experienced this before?? If so I have never came across an alternator fail in this manner (ie short to earth) its curious that there is no burning, or even smell, it just draws the battery down instantly to zero.

Secondly,,, how easy is it to change the alternator? It looks bloody difficult without major surgery.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Cheers Chester

Post #5735243rd Jan 2010 8:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jamo

Australia 

Yep, my alternator burnt out in my TDV6.

Battery kept losing charge then got every warning possible and the car shut down and all went dark.

The alternator fried the battery. When I put a new battery in and started the car, a plume of smoke was evident from the alternator.

Easy job to replace. Here is where I posted how I did it!
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/d3-d4-zone/69060...ement.html
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #5737204th Jan 2010 1:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
thorgal

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

do you happened to know if there is a difference in alternator's position in 4.4 v8 petrol version?

Post #5737344th Jan 2010 5:02 am
The Large One

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Altenator P/N's

V8 & TDV6 are different

TDV6 LR008861 ( as of 4/1/10 they are backordered)

V8 LR008860

These are service exchange version part numbers, new part numbers are available at vastly increased prices
 TLO has left the building.......
I no longer work for a Landrover Dealer

My little chilli sauce business http://www.thechillees.co.uk
if you would like to order anything just give me a shout 

Post #5737664th Jan 2010 10:08 am

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Many Thanks to all,, Ive been quoted £150 for a new Alternator from a factor,, seems cheap.

Whats the price of a new LR one??

Hope everyone had a good Christmas and a Happy new year

Best regards

Chester.....
 Disco 3 TDV6 SE, Range Rover Classic Vouge 3.9, Volvo TGB13 6x6, Stonefield P5000 6x4 Pick up, Stonefield P5000 5.2 V8 TACR 2, RB Chubb 4x4 TACR2 7.2V8, and whatever else I can get my hands on.  
Post #5738164th Jan 2010 12:00 pm
JC100

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

£150 is about right. I got an LR one for that.
My alternator blew taking the gearbox ecu with it.
Everything was dead as a dodo and had to be AA low loaded. Biggest cost was diagnostics to find out what had blown and then the labour to fix. No change from 560 quid by the time the VAT man took his share.

£150 - Alternator
£105 - gearbox ecu
£280 labour

Thanks to Will and the guys at Guava for an excellent job though.

Post #5738924th Jan 2010 1:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >