Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Alternator life?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
ScanGauge II is the best way to watch voltage.

nigel207 wrote:
"On the home screen hold your finger against the centre of the top for 5 seconds, then press the left button below the screen. Release and the code pad will appear. Code = 753" Thanks.

If it makes you feel any better, tonight I could not find the page either. It is there, but I would suggest that if you really want voltage and alot of other stuff you purchase a ScanGauge II per my link to my Gallery. The second link is to a thread on the Australia forum re the ScanGauge.

Alternatively, purchase one of those voltmeter things that plugs into a cigarette lighter. The ScanGauge is the way to go if you really want to know.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3611

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/d3-d4-rrs/128635...gauge.html
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #79863320th May 2011 5:00 am
Stuart Broadhurst

United Kingdom 

Just replaced my alternator at 70k miles on my disco 3 it went gradually over a few days but when it went fully, it was a call out to to rescue ( very embarrassing I was only a mile from home) As it was so close to timing belt change interval I did that at the same time. Also new serpentine belt tensioner for good measure, along with the obligatory tensioner on the cam belt.
Good tip, if you have to do the two jobs, remove the old alternator then do the cam belt it’s much easier to withdraw the starter motor for bottom locking tool access. You don’t have to take out completely! The starter motor is real SOB to get to on the diesel, well the electrical connectors are. Fit the new alternator once you’ve done the timing belt.
I’m going to repair my old alternator as a spare the new one is a cheap one £70 but it works ok.
A lot of you guys-s complain that getting the fan off is the difficult bit, well

I made this from some gash steel I had on my bench, along with an extension for the 36mm wrench. Took an hour or so to make, works fine saves lots of blu language and was free.
Whole job including timing belt cost around £200. I live on Orkney and have to improvise, also it’s a real kick beating the system. The expense was in the original LR timing belt. Hope it helps Stu

Post #207673617th Aug 2019 7:48 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Welcome Stuart Broadhurst.

Very interesting; an ancient thread you have just revived.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #207673717th Aug 2019 8:06 pm
thorgal

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

Interesting revival indeed.I guess I should consider myself a lucky person as my alternator is still kicking at 260 thousand miles.

Post #207674217th Aug 2019 8:47 pm
bbyer

On my forth alternator.

You are doing well.

I have 350,000 km now, (217, 000 miles), and I think it must be at least my forth alternator.

I have got my ScanGauge so I can keep an eye on the charging voltage and hence can keep an eye on the regulator. As such, I have yet to be walking.

I think a couple of my alternator failures have been regulator related, another bearings, and the other just defective within a week of install.

What I have learned is to get the mechanics to count the grooves in the removed alternator pulley and the the grooves in the to be installed alternator's pulley - they are not always the same out of the box.
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #207676918th Aug 2019 3:08 am
A.J.M

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Coming up to 197,000 and it's on it's "3rd" alternator, i got the old one rebuilt in January.

You can make roughly 4 miles of stop start, town traffic, at rush hour at night, with the battery warning light shining away at you.
However, you find everything slowly turns off as the car loses charge.
I made it home, just. It cut out outside the house. A delay of 3 seconds would have me blocking the street. Laughing

Post #207696818th Aug 2019 9:38 pm
bbyer

Traxide second battery kit

I have the Traxide second battery kit installed so I have a bit more time, but no power is a real showstopper.

Below is the link to their site.
http://www.traxide.com.au/

Post #207698618th Aug 2019 10:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >