Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Thumping noise from the back!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
von Horst

Sweden 
Thumping noise from the back!

Hi! I'm driving along and all of a sudden from nowhere comes this deep thumping noise from the back! increasing with speed and decreasing when slowing down!...I mean its a bad noise and loud but when increasing speed its getting quite high pitched!

thanks beforehand!

Post #232764622nd Feb 2023 9:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Sounds strange ? First thing i would check is your propshaft center bearing
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial died and gone to LR heaven
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #232766523rd Feb 2023 6:05 am
KPTV8

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Hi, rear suspension on my first D3 was superb initially then started to go lumpy and uneven. I had two particularly BAD incidents like you describe, unbelievably violent thrashing up/down of my RNS wheel at medium road speed for no apparent reason. I expected the airbag to be in shreds but it wasn't.

I had several bigg-ish workshop sessions done by good guys over a couple of years but that car was never again as smooth as when I bought it.

One (related) repeat fault I had was RNS brake disk would wear out of alignment bringing on a slight wobble along with pulsing on the brake pedal. New caliper, bearing, disk would fix the problem but it always slowly came back.

Looking back the one component we never changed all along was that propshaft centre bearing and I've often wondered if that was the real culprit; in fact I might now contact the present owner and warn him !

Do you find when approaching a roundabout, where the road is marked with yellow bumpy stripes getting closer together, that your suspension doesn't handle it well ?

Wish you luck !!

Post #232778724th Feb 2023 8:19 am
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Check the heat at the centre of the rear wheels when it occurs.

Post #232778924th Feb 2023 8:22 am
Flapper

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

spare wheel loose? harmonic dampers? centre prop bearing?

Post #232782924th Feb 2023 12:52 pm
Flapper

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

wheel bearing

Post #232783024th Feb 2023 12:52 pm
von Horst

Sweden 
Going to the mechanic!

Car is booked into the mechanic on Tuesday, I'm going to take all your advice with me, its a sort of scraping noise, wheel bearing perhaps, or the propshaft centre bearing!

Thanks a lot for all your advice!

Post #232784424th Feb 2023 3:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
von Horst

Sweden 

Flapper wrote:
spare wheel loose? harmonic dampers? centre prop bearing?

The spare-wheel is fastened under the back of the car! do you mean that could be lose causing the thumping?

Post #232784524th Feb 2023 3:08 pm
von Horst

Sweden 

KPTV8 wrote:
Hi, rear suspension on my first D3 was superb initially then started to go lumpy and uneven. I had two particularly BAD incidents like you describe, unbelievably violent thrashing up/down of my RNS wheel at medium road speed for no apparent reason. I expected the airbag to be in shreds but it wasn't.

I had several bigg-ish workshop sessions done by good guys over a couple of years but that car was never again as smooth as when I bought it.

One (related) repeat fault I had was RNS brake disk would wear out of alignment bringing on a slight wobble along with pulsing on the brake pedal. New caliper, bearing, disk would fix the problem but it always slowly came back.

Looking back the one component we never changed all along was that propshaft centre bearing and I've often wondered if that was the real culprit; in fact I might now contact the present owner and warn him !

Do you find when approaching a roundabout, where the road is marked with yellow bumpy stripes getting closer together, that your suspension doesn't handle it well ?

Wish you luck !!

Thanks a lot! No there is no wobble at all, just this scraping/thumping noise!

Post #232784624th Feb 2023 3:09 pm
thommo1927

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

When I had that it was the gearbox on the way out , Sometimes it would feel like a kick up the butt Laughing

Post #232789824th Feb 2023 10:45 pm
von Horst

Sweden 

von Horst wrote:
KPTV8 wrote:

Wish you luck !!

Thanks a lot! No there is no wobble at all, just this scraping/thumping noise!

Hehe! nope the gearbox is fine, engine as well and so is the actual body! I think its a baring, wheelbearing or the centre propshaft bearing. I had this on a Grand-Cherokee some years back and its very similar!

Post #232798525th Feb 2023 5:07 pm
von Horst

Sweden 
Wheelbearing!

Yes it turned out to be a wheelbearing after all!

Post #23286792nd Mar 2023 3:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >