Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

Altox "ON" button (thread split)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

The Altox manual is a translation from Russian, presumably, and it makes a number of assumptions about the understanding level of the reader, and it's not intuitive to follow at all. There's no diagram, for example, for how to wire in the switch/LED which would be simple to add and clear all of this up.

There's no standard for switches, not all switches are the same so I can't advise on EXACTLY how to wire up a theoretical switch.

What you really need is a momentary push button switch with an independent LED in it, which is what Altox provide with their units (or some of them).

Using the switch contacts you provide a ground pulse on the green wire to trigger the Altox. So black (ground) to one contact, then green to the other.

The LED is then wired to ground on one side (to the cathode - LEDs are polarity sensitive), and to one side of a resistor on the other side (LED's anode). The resistor need only be an 1/8W rated (electronics spec, not the massive ones you linked to), the current is tiny. However the exact resistor value depends on the LED specification.

The other side of the resistor goes to the 12V out (yellow) on the Altox. This yellow wire is switched to 12V by the Altox when it wants the FBH to run (to operate older FBHs or accessories/LEDs etc).

Many switches with LEDs in have only 3 terminals - positive in (generally 12V), positive out and ground.

The function of the LED cannot be controlled independently of the switch with these, and they are NOT compatible with what you are trying to achieve.

A simple push button with two wires will at least give you the function, if not the feedback.

I can't see how I can offer much more support for something I don't sell nor use! Confused
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #19125398th Feb 2018 10:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
beanie
Site Sponsor 

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Gazellio @ Prestige Cars wrote:
Where is Beanie?

I'm here Gary, pm me your address and I'll post you a button switch on that you need Thumbs Up
 Altox GSM FBH controller thread

IID Pro MV License - D3, D4 & RRS - Enabling, Updates, D4 & RRS Timed / Remote Climate, D4 Bluetooth fitting
PM me for details

Owner of the original "Beanie" grille
D4 & RRS style D3 grilles made to order

Post #19125468th Feb 2018 10:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Bow down
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #19125478th Feb 2018 10:24 pm
Gazellio

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Martin wrote:
The Altox manual is a translation from Russian, presumably, and it makes a number of assumptions about the understanding level of the reader, and it's not intuitive to follow at all. There's no diagram, for example, for how to wire in the switch/LED which would be simple to add and clear all of this up.

There's no standard for switches, not all switches are the same so I can't advise on EXACTLY how to wire up a theoretical switch.

What you really need is a momentary push button switch with an independent LED in it, which is what Altox provide with their units (or some of them).

Using the switch contacts you provide a ground pulse on the green wire to trigger the Altox. So black (ground) to one contact, then green to the other.

The LED is then wired to ground on one side (to the cathode - LEDs are polarity sensitive), and to one side of a resistor on the other side (LED's anode). The resistor need only be an 1/8W rated (electronics spec, not the massive ones you linked to), the current is tiny. However the exact resistor value depends on the LED specification.

The other side of the resistor goes to the 12V out (yellow) on the Altox. This yellow wire is switched to 12V by the Altox when it wants the FBH to run (to operate older FBHs or accessories/LEDs etc).

Many switches with LEDs in have only 3 terminals - positive in (generally 12V), positive out and ground.

The function of the LED cannot be controlled independently of the switch with these, and they are NOT compatible with what you are trying to achieve.

A simple push button with two wires will at least give you the function, if not the feedback.

I can't see how I can offer much more support for something I don't sell nor use! Confused

Cheers Martin I am actually very grateful for your prior posts all were very much appreciated. Having read them and the wiring photo I had decided that a switch without LED is all I really need so thanks.

Everything you posted makes sense Thumbs Up

Post #19125648th Feb 2018 11:16 pm
Gazellio

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

beanie wrote:
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars wrote:
Where is Beanie?

I'm here Gary, pm me your address and I'll post you a button switch on that you need Thumbs Up

Thank Beanie I wish I had remembered to ask for it at the time! Will PM.

Gary

Post #19125658th Feb 2018 11:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >