Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Angry Gearbox!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
arnie8

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Angry Gearbox!!

My 56 plate manual motor has recently come out of warranty. However 2 days before its warranty ended (mid September) I reported gear selection issues to the local stealer. Apart from doing some other warranty work they had my car for 6 days trying to get to the bottom of this issue.

1st day LR had them check the clutch - this was found to be in a good state as they replaced it 6 months ago when I first complained about this issue.
2nd day LR then had them change the gearbox oil - still same gear change issues.
3rd day LR had them remove and inspect gearbox - nothing of note found - still same gear change issues.
4th day LR sits on their hands not knowing what to do.
5th day LR agree to swap the 6 month old clutch for a new updated unit as they claim the old style clutch is dragging therefore causing selection problems - of course they had to wait over weekend for delivery.
6th day clutch replaced, stealers declare it fixed and that is end of matter.

HOWEVER - having now had time to test drive it properly myself, I agree the gear selection is better, BUT, it still crunches between 1st & 2nd, 2nd & 3rd and occassionally 3rd & 4th, which to me implies the synchros are either tired or Censored as a result of the old type clutch's dragging.

Do you think I have a case to argue with LR that the gearbox should also be replaced as the crap OE fit and 1st replacement clutch were causing drag, that in turn meant the synchros could not do their job properly??

I would apprerciate any advice as I need to formally accept the fix in next few days or reject it.

Cheers. Sad Sad

Post #53586017th Oct 2009 5:02 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

You are right to think that you should reject the fix, the dealers, and LR's inability to correct the problem in the first place has damaged the synchro's, no way should it crunch when changing up into any cog. Rolling Eyes

Post #53587017th Oct 2009 5:23 pm
Iain G

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

I have never been 100% happy with my gearbox. Mine will crunch between 1st and 2nd, and perhaps 2nd and 3rd if the clutch is not fully depressed. Of course Iknow the clutch should be fully pressed in each time between gears (never crunched when doing this). But it makes low down gearchanging a bit of a military operation sinking your foot right down each time.

Just wondering if you are fully pressing the clutch in all the way. It takes some 'thinking' if you have been driving for years without having to do this.

Iain

Post #53594017th Oct 2009 7:53 pm
alanwxr

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi arnie8 I had THREE gearboxes in my TD5 in the last week of my warranty before they found one that didn't have similar issues to yours!

Stick at 'em!

Post #53595717th Oct 2009 8:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >