Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Annoyance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Jamo

Australia 
Annoyance

On Saturday I was stopped waiting to turn right into a carpark. I was about 30m plus of an intersecton that has a round-a-bout.

Just as I was waiting for a van to pass so I could turn, there was a tyre screech, a bang and the soud of breaking glass.

The D3 didn't even rock! I looked into the rear vision mirror to see what happened and there was a holden commmodore sticking out of the rear of my car.

I pulled into the car park and got out. The Commodore took off!

For those in WA it was a white commodore with personalised plates 'WEZ'.

I checked the rear. There was a few bits of commodore duco on the bar, but absolutley no damage whatsoever. No dents, scratches or movement. There was lots of glass on the road.

I think I was pretty lucky that I had the Kaymar bar on. And it was probably a good example of what happens when 1.5tn of milo tin hits 3.0tn of precision engineering!

I'd say he took off because he wasn't insured, knew it was his fault, and did it in front of about 50+ people! If I'd had the original plastic bumper, I'd probably have some expensive damage that I'd have had to claim on my own insurance, not to mention the vehicle downtime which I can't afford.

Cest la vie!
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #10522828th Nov 2006 2:18 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I hate hit and runners.

Pity you didn't get his rego and report him to the coppers so he'd get a fine as well as the bill for your repairs.

Lucky no real damage caused to you or your D3.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #10523328th Nov 2006 4:58 am
Jamo

Australia 

Here's a pic of the impact spot.

Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #10523528th Nov 2006 6:34 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
catweasel

I need one of them stickers. where did it come from.

Post #10524228th Nov 2006 8:46 am
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Jamo, sorry to hear about your incident. Steel bars are the preferred way to resist rear-end attacks for sure.

Some years ago I was slowing in light drizzle in my Pajero and heard a sound like sizzling. It was a small Ford sedan slipping on the surface with front wheels locked and it hit the back. I got out to inspect the damage but saw that the Ford's radiator was destroyed and grille had become part of it. That car was going to need a tow.

Turned to see where my damage was and couldn't see any! Except, on very close examination, there was white paint (from the Ford's bonnet edge) on the (steel) rear bumper. Also very minor damage to the rubber surrounding the left bumper-mounted taillight and nothing else. The paint polished out with cutting polish and I was left with a deep scar in the paint on the bumper that was very hard to see.

So steel bars are desirable. But have you seen what sits directly behind the D3's plastic bumper?

Leigh
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #10530528th Nov 2006 12:15 pm
Jamo

Australia 

Catweasel, I got the sticker fom a friend. When I see him next I'll ask.

Leigh, the plastic bumper is hust a bumper cover. Behind it is some foam and the steel bumper that forms part of the chassis. But I think that if I hadn't had the Kaymar bar on in this instance, the car may have been deflected slightly to push up the rear quarter panel.
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #10532628th Nov 2006 1:05 pm
catweasel

Thumbs Up

Post #10533128th Nov 2006 1:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >