Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Another silly fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
croyde

Another silly fault

Car fine last night but wife using it to take 6 kids out for a trip and she can't open the front passenger door. Not with the remote, the internal switch on the dashboard or taking the cover off and trying manually.

Bit of a Censored as it means we can't get at the airbag switch and turn it off as baby needs to go in front and the eldest is 6 so she can't either.

Bought the darn thing for family days out and it keeps letting us down in daft ways.

LR Assist were brilliant and quick but he can't fix it so it will have to be booked at the dealer, again. 6th visit in 6 months.

We are off on a continental trip in 3 weeks and my confidence in the vehicle is rapidly waning. Don't get me wrong, it is a great car but let down by all the electronic gubbins.

I bought brand new thinking that the first trip back to the dealer would be in a years time and the formula has worked with the previous cars, 2 German and 1 French.

Where do I stand in saying to the dealer that I am not happy and would like a refund even if they have to take money off for 6 months use as I certainly cannot sell it with these continuing faults. So far the dealer has had the car for nearly a week for every months ownership.

Post #567717th May 2006 1:44 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 
Re: Another silly fault

croyde wrote:
Where do I stand in saying to the dealer that I am not happy and would like a refund even if they have to take money off for 6 months use as I certainly cannot sell it with these continuing faults. So far the dealer has had the car for nearly a week for every months ownership.

A bit unfortunate Croyde, but your rights to a refund may be limited. Unless you have had a consistent fault that they failed to repair satisfactorily, you would stand little chance other than the goodwill of the dealer.

Under the sale of goods act, it is reasonable for the dealer \ manufacturer to have an opportunity to repair the fault during the warranty term. Isolated faults that become excessive could build to a point where you could claim the vehicle not fit for purpose but I don't know how many you would have to have for that to kick in. I suspect lots.

If your dealer thinks that you are going to dump the motor and move on then he may be more reluctant to show goodwill. Far better to tell him that you love it sooo much and really want another one from him but have concerns . He should then want to reassure you and will be more willing to play ball.

Contractually though it may be complicated.

Good Luck
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #567737th May 2006 2:22 pm
croyde

Cheers.

Don't really want to get rid but I am now nervous of another fault that needs fixing and the Holiday starts in 3 weeks. I will ring them tomorrow and they will not have a loaner straightaway then I have to make time for the 60 mile round trip. Then I have to inform the local council that I have a different car re parking permit.

All gets a bit of a pain to say the least. Might as well have bought a second hand old banger for the amount of garage time it has had, and saved a packet in the process.

I will just have to have a go tomorrow and insist that they sort it straight away.

Post #567747th May 2006 3:08 pm
croyde

Thanks to this Forum I found the fix of pulling the little black door lock and pushing the unlock switch, on the dashboard, at the same time. Have to do it everytime of course but at least we can get at the airbag switch and the oldies don't have to climb over the gear stick etc.

Thank you to the person that posted that, cheers.

Honestly this car is proving more idiosyncratic than the 15 year old Citroen CX that I once owned.

Land Rover/Ford you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Post #568297th May 2006 11:55 pm
croyde

Well called the dealers service dept who were very apathetic and said that they could get the car in for the 26th May Evil or Very Mad

Could get no further with them but I will try to contact the original salesman later.

Any advice people, cheers.

Post #568398th May 2006 8:05 am
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

As far as returning cars under the SOGA as 'not fit for purpose' or 'not of merchantable quality', I seem to recall that 6 months was the broad limit for rejecting cars.

There are quite a few (unfortunate) posts on the subject, with good information by Winger, Woody and MVS to name but a few. I would have a good read then perhaps PM one or two and get a bit more info.
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #568578th May 2006 9:21 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

You know, threads like this don't exactly have me rushing to throw upwards of £30k at my local LR dealer. Trouble is, I see similar apathy and build issues on the Touareg forum I also visit.

I'm beginning to think I ought to be buying Japanese, even if styling and comfort don't always appear high on their lists, at least the darn things work!

Post #568658th May 2006 9:44 am
croyde

I do like the car but it is the Dealer apathy that concerns me. They should be bending over backwards when these silly faults occur, to make it as convenient as possible for the customer.

My Salesman says that he can get no further with their service dept and has advised me to take the car today and he will give me a Freelander but the Missus is off to France on Fri, 6 up, and they cannot tell me when they will get around to looking at the car.

RESULT.

Called a different and nearer dealer, who diagnosed the fault on the phone and has ordered the part and has asked me to go down there tomorrow at 2pm and should have it all sorted in an hour.

I know who will be getting my business from now on.

I'll let you all know tomorrow.

PS My original salesman has advised me to keep a diary of faults and to complain to Land Rover Shocked

Shouldn't he be doing that on my behalf.

Post #568728th May 2006 10:19 am
Pelyma

England 

Trading Standards told me that what you are describing is now termed loss of faith and there is no exact time period, it can be difficult to prove too. Your best bet is to get a dealership who work with you and look after you. They might not be the very cheapest but in the long run think of it as an extra insurance!
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #568798th May 2006 11:08 am
SN

Why weren't you using the different and nearer dealer in the first place? Confused
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #568818th May 2006 11:11 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
croyde

Didn't know of it at the time when we bought Very Happy

Post #568838th May 2006 11:17 am
croyde

Well turned up at my, as of now, new dealership at 2pm today as asked. Was offered a chair and a drink by a very attractive receptionist. One of the service personel saw me a few minutes later and took my keys and said that he would be an hour.

I left and had a very nice Thai curry in a local pub, walked along the river, considered buying a boat and then got back to the service centre with a few minutes to spare. On the dot of one hour the man was back with my D3, all fixed.

No it was not a Carlsberg Ad but they sure will be getting my patronage from now on.

Now don't throw stuff at me but my Missus said that, that is the difference between a London dealership and an outside the M25 one. Now ducking for cover. I'm sure that she is wrong Laughing

The outside the M25 place will only be seeing me when I claim my free first service, compensation for d*cking me about the first 2 times that the car went in.

Post #571959th May 2006 8:50 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I trust you will give appropriate praise and shame in the dealer feedback forum?

Post #572029th May 2006 9:18 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

qzdcg8 wrote:
Why weren't you using the different and nearer dealer in the first place? Confused

Is there supposed to be a link there Steve?
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #572059th May 2006 9:22 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Some useful advice on the subject from Which? recently publisehed on their website.

Quote:
Which? May 2006

Rejecting a faulty car

Take action
You're in the driving seat.

You have the right to reject a new car within 'a reasonable time' (usually three to four weeks) and receive a full refund if it's not of satisfactory quality, fit for its purpose or as described.

If you buy it on hire purchase or conditional sale, tell the loan company that you're rejecting the car.

Confirm your rejection in writing.

In practice, rejection isn't easy. Some dealers and finance companies delay you past the month, or make hollow promises to correct faults.

If the dealer persuades you to try a repair first, allow only a short time so that you remain inside the rejection period in case the repair isn't successful. To avoid doubt, put in writing that you are reserving your right to reject if the repair isn't successful.

When you reject, get legal advice as soon as possible. Contact Which? Legal Service on 0800 252 100 for details of how it can help in such cases.
Post #572299th May 2006 11:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >