Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Another total failure on startup.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
mwillems

2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenLR3
Another total failure on startup.

My LR3 HSE just had another total computer failure: same thing exactly as before. So the last week at the dealer's made no difference, it appears.

How it happens: I leave the car outside around for 8 hours at a temperature around freezing (last time minus 5 Celsius, this time plus 3 Celcius). I get into the car and start; it works and then all hell breaks loose, all the alarm lights and the gong come on; "no low range available" shows, and the handbrake applies by itself. (That is the most worrying).

I remove the key; all continues and then after 5 seconds it all stops. I wait a further few seconds and start again and all is OK.

This seems a computer start problem. But it is unacceptable for several reasons:

- It might NOT start again properly. And this happened up North, miles and miles from a dealer. On a Saturday.

- It might get worse over time, as the warranty expires in a few years, and get expensive.

- ANY fault that causes the handbrake to come on by itself is a big no-no, a potential safety hazard.

I'll get back with LR and the dealer on Monday or Tuesday.

Michael

Post #171826th Mar 2005 6:51 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Michael, I sympathise with you.

I too seem to be suffering a similar problem to you. My car is giving repeated Suspension failures. I have had three now. The worrying thing for me is that on two occasions, the suspension has lowered to the bump stops whilst driving, once at low speed, but last time it happened, I was in excess of 70mph on a busy motorway.

Land Rover tech phoned me on friday after I threatened the lease company that I would stop my payments, and make it their problem. They are taking my car away on 4th of April for investigation. In the meantime I am going on holiday, and I hope it does not fail on me while I am away.

Post #171926th Mar 2005 7:42 pm
mwillems

Gareth,

I had that problem too: it was a wet, corroded wiring loom. LR had my car for weeks and found the fault, then replaced that loom and "super-insulated the new loom"... I had gone through torrential rain, but presumably this should be possible with a Land Rover!

This failure I had today and two weeks ago is a slightly different as it happens on startup. Last time they had my car for another week but evidently fixed nothing... I just wrote a letter to Land Rover. Unless they come up with great ideas, I will ask for a replacement. Don't want to drive a Russian Roulette car that is as reliable as Windows 98.

LR have been very understanding and no doubt will continue to be so - will keep you in the loop.

Michael

Post #172026th Mar 2005 8:06 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Michael, I just had a system failure as you describe. I was hitching the caravan up, and my son was sitting in the drivers seat. I had hooked everything up, and just plugged in the electrics. I needed to check all the lights on the back of the caravan so I was about to show my son all the controls so he could press the buttons etc.

I asked him to turn the key to ignition on, and saw the message centre come up with a park brake fault, then it said HDC Failure, Range Change Not Available, all the warning lights came up. This was before the engine was started. Turned off and retried, and it was all ok.

The caravan draws a fair amount of current from the car when its connected up, with fridge and split charge taking a lot of amps. The car had been idling and connected for about 15 minutes before this happened. We had been playing around with the air suspension practising picking up and dropping it down again. So the compressor had been running a lot.

The low volts theory in this post http://disco3.web-rover.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=217 could be true, as the alternator may not provide enough current at idle, and the battery may have drained whilst we were messing around. Just a thought that you may want to metion my experience here to your dealer, as it may help them to diagnose your car. I will certainly be mentioning it to mine when I get back.

Whilst I have had several suspension errors, this is the first time I have seen the fault you have described, it is also the first time I have plugged all the caravan electrics in.[/url]

Post #172627th Mar 2005 10:17 pm
mwillems

Yep, that's the same issue. OK, so there's a systematic fault that cuases the computer to mot come up properly upon low-voltage startup - surely it should be simple to fix that. I am hopeful.

And I think it does need to be fixed - I presume you too think so?

Post #172928th Mar 2005 3:41 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >