Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Has anyone replaced the speakers on base stereo?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Has anyone replaced the speakers on base stereo?

I, looking to replace the base stereo speakers. Has anyone else done this and what speakers work best. I am thinking 6.5 inch components at front and 2 way 6.5 inch to rear. Am I going to get a reasonable base reponse without a sub.?
I'm not looking for earth moving bass just an improvement over existing.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #9648024th Oct 2006 12:08 am
AN

Hungary 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Somebody did it in the States, here is the link:

http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showt...ne+speaker

Regards, AN
 LR D3 S Black, Auto TDV6  
Post #9651324th Oct 2006 12:56 pm
caverD3

I did it! Very Happy
see thread: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic7072.html
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #11850010th Jan 2007 10:32 pm
senortetas

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

i've done it as well on my '05 V8 SE LR3 and have been really happy with the results. my equipment is:

alpine x-type speakers
alpine pdx amps
kicker solo-baric L7 sub 12"
audio control signal processor (so i could leave the factory head unit in and it would look completely stock but sound amazing Wink )

Post #16741616th Jun 2007 1:07 am
caverD3

Senortetas
Exactly what did you do?
More details of how it was achieved and where did you place the sub?
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #16742216th Jun 2007 3:41 am
senortetas

ha, thats really bizarre you just posted this, because i just got in from outside a minute ago because i was taking pictures on my phone thinking 'i bet someone will want to see this install on the LR3 forum' ! so here are the pics.

the first two pictures are of the amps (1 for speakers, 1 for sub) and the signal processor i was talking about is the grey box in the middle of the two amps. all 3 are mounted on the secret compartment (which i believe to be the foot area if i were in a 7 seater instead of my 5 seater) behind the rear seats. very few amps would realistically be able to be mounted here because of how much heat most amps disperse as well as their size, but without sounding like im trying to brag, these amps are the top of the line alpine amps and they are much smaller than most, and also disperse much less heat because of their efficiency. therefore, because of their size, i was able to take advantage of having them mounted in this special area, which i really like because of the stealthiness and the anonymity of the location. otherwise, i was going to install all 3 pieces in the 'ditch' between the rear seats and the cargo area which i think is still pretty stealthlike and secure. i then had all of the wiring run up to the factory head unit (again, im not trying to have my system be seen, only heard) and whats great is that since the factory head unit has a seperate out for the factory subwoofer (sounds like poop, SPECIALLY because its placed behind the license plate so you get a horrible rattle), then i was able to run the controls for the afermarket sub straight out of the factory head unit, resulting in a completely stock look. also, i left on the factory speaker grilles instead of putting on the alpine grilles, simply again for that 'completely stock 'look, but definitely not a stock sound. although im starting to reconsider putting on the alpine grilles because i believe the design of the speaker grilles and what looks to be like a honeycomb pattern protector behind the grill, actually are choking my speakers a bit. anyway, here are the pics of the amps and the signal processor:

Click image to enlarge

opposite angle

Click image to enlarge

and then here is a shot of my subwoofer. i had them build a box that would go the exact width of the cargo area, to avoid that sloppy aftermarket sub box look so many cars have, and to continue with the 'stock' appearance the rest of the system has going. as you can see i also had them color match tan leathers, and use the same black fabric on the box as whats in the cargo area (underneath my cargo mat). the result is this:

Click image to enlarge

other than the kicker sub in the back, you would have absolutely no idea its not a factory system unless you heard it. even after having it almost a year i still have friends who get into my car for the 1st time and can't believe how good my 'factory' system is, until i show them all of the components. the favorite is usually the sub that looks like it came like that straight from LR Very Happy

sorry for the insanely long post, but i figured you wanted detail! hope i helped, feel free to ask any other questions. and if anyone's wondering 'well i wonder if its really THAT big of a difference than the factory system, because the factory system sounds pretty decent'.. that answer is, 'YES, it blows the factory system out of the water'. i used to think the system it came with was pretty good, and it IS, for a factory system.. but after making this investment i dont regret it whatsoever. even traffic is a almost tolerable when your music sounds amazing.... and drowns out that a-hole in the camaro next to you :rolllaugh:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #16742416th Jun 2007 4:11 am
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

We like insanely long posts. Nice job!

Post #16746116th Jun 2007 5:29 pm
senortetas

nwoods wrote:
We like insanely long posts. Nice job!

haha, thanks!

Post #16746616th Jun 2007 6:49 pm
caverD3

Goog job! Very neat.
With the five seater you have a lot of space to spare. With the seven seater space is tight, besides I don't think my dog would like being next to that Kicker. Shocked
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #16755617th Jun 2007 3:10 am
kpmclaren

Jamaica 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Check out my pics if u can, done the same...similar set up (neater?) and follow the post...
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic11328.html?highlight=

If you want to see what will speakers will fit ure D3 read thru the tread...

Post #16917421st Jun 2007 2:29 pm
kpmclaren

Jamaica 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Check out my pics if u can, done the same...similar set up (neater?) and follow the post...
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic11328.html?highlight=

If you want to see what will speakers will fit ure D3 read thru the tread...

Post #16917721st Jun 2007 2:35 pm
dorianvb

Belgium 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3
Speakers size on a basic LR3 from 2007

Hello, I am trying to figure out what is the size of the speakers on a LR3 of 2007? I would like to replace the speakers in the front doors + tweeters.

Can someone help?

Cheers Smile

Post #201286427th Dec 2018 2:42 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >