Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Has anyone tried this?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
SN

Has anyone tried this?

Put two and two together to make five on Wednesday ... but has anyone else tried to use Google Earth combined with GPS Mouse and Mobile Broadband to turn your laptop into a super dooper SatNav?

I paid my $20 to upgrade to GoogleEarth Plus and finally got my GPS mouse talking to it this morning - it quite accurately placed me in my office up north Thumbs Up (big Google Ballon Marker hovering over the office roof)

Next job is to get it running in the car with my Vodafone Broadband dongle - Im going to give it a try at the weekend - even though I know the signal over the plain is not going to be brillian but if I run Google Earth in small lo-res mode it may be OK
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #26609029th Feb 2008 3:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

You can save on download time by manually viewing the areas you expect to visit while connected to your regular broadband at home or in the office. Google Earth will cache the data so it won't need to download it in full when out and about with your GPS.

Post #26610229th Feb 2008 3:38 pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Recommend forward facing web-cam feeding into small window on laptop screen so that you can see what you're hitting whilst driving, Googling, GPSing Whistle

A
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #26612429th Feb 2008 4:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SN

NoDo$h wrote:
You can save on download time by manually viewing the areas you expect to visit while connected to your regular broadband at home or in the office. Google Earth will cache the data so it won't need to download it in full when out and about with your GPS.

Good Thinking Thumbs Up

@AndrewW - this won't be an issue - just goes on its own...
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #26614329th Feb 2008 4:38 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

NoDo$h wrote:
Google Earth will cache the data so it won't need to download it in full when out and about with your GPS.

I've you've got plenty of disk space, you can whack the size of the cache up to around 2GB as well Thumbs Up

A quick question.....I've never tried it, but I'm guessing Google Earth uses a live connection to get driving directions etc.....it would be cool if it had them from a local database to save the need for a 3G connection at all.
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #26620529th Feb 2008 6:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >