Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Roading & Green Laning

Anyone want to pair up for an Iceland Trip in 2012?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Josh

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Keswick GreenDiscovery 3
Anyone want to pair up for an Iceland Trip in 2012?

I'm thinking of doing a trip around Iceland during the short Iceland summer, probably 2-3 weeks cutting across the interior a couple of times for a spot of off-raod driving. Don't really fancy travelling the interior with onve vehicle, is there anyone out that that wasn't to come along?

Currently it'll be me and my girlfriend, leaving anywhere between late May-mid July in our Discovery 3.

Will require a drive to North Denmark to catch the ferry arcross and it no longer stops in the shetlands. Ferry takes 2 day...

reply to this or email be joshuajrice@aol.com

Cheers, Josh

Post #87523524th Dec 2011 5:59 pm
WINDSWEPTISLANDER

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Bali BlueDiscovery 3

Having been in 2005 and again in 2008 I would love to go, but Starting from Shetland it would take about 5 days travel each way minimum, and I just don't have that much holiday.
I would say though, definitely go, it's brilliant. The roads are quite well travelled so you'll never be too far from a passer by. Most of the interior roads are not too serious, though I had planned to do the F910 north of the Glacier my travelling companion (travelled solo the first time) didn't take enough fuel Sad

This is a very useful website

http://www.vegagerdin.is/english/road-conditions-and-weather/

We went later on in the season both times, apparently this was wise because everything is more passable, more roads are open, not so much soggy wet sand and the rivers not too serious when it's starting to get colder at night again (glacier melt)

On our travels we only found a couple of 'serious' river crossings, and by that I men started to pull our modified 90 downstream. (on the F road between the two big glaciers and going into porsmork)

I do have a video on youtube that catalogues just about all our crossings, not nearly as exciting to watch as it was to do, both the crossings are on it, best to mute -

The first time we went to Iceland was in a standard hilux surf and appart from the battery breaking free of its mounting, we had no issues. The jeep that went with us is stock and it just about survived. The water pump packed in near Rekjavik and we couldn't get a replacement, so towed it over 300 miles back to the boat. The fuel pump on our 90 also started to pack in so the last 100 miles was done with a 3cyl 90 towing a dead jeep, we must have looked a sorry sight pulled over at the side of the road, tow rope to jeep, 90 bonnet off with two men ripping bits out of the engine and fuel pump to trya nd get going. What a carry on.

Anyway, it's a fantastic country, D3 should easily manage the terrain. Most of the roads are not too serious, though do be aware that flowing water can hide some big surprises. Be prepared for customs - they're strict.

I so wish I could go this year, and last year,,,, maybe somebody will restore a more direct ferry link some day.

Post #91100117th Mar 2012 6:54 pm
gazjacko

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4

could you get us some frozen chips and burgers please Laughing
hope you enjoy!

Post #9171803rd Apr 2012 8:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >