Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Apple taking the mickey...?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 
Apple taking the mickey...?

Apple love to charge for their stuff, but how about £549 for a pair of headphones? Shocked

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55230656

Knowing how popular Apple is hereabouts, is anyone going to be buying a set of these?
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #21925058th Dec 2020 8:38 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I’m personally not going to but they wouldn’t make a product unless the demand was there. Thumbs Up

Post #21925088th Dec 2020 8:41 pm
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Well there's always a pair of these - https://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/product/64214? if you think the Apple ones are expensive...
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #21925268th Dec 2020 8:57 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I've been looking at options to replace my Bose and I will have a look at them as a possible option. Embarassed

Not sure 54 year old blokes are the target market though. Laughing
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #21925288th Dec 2020 8:58 pm
Froogle-Yorkshireman

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Blimey!!

I'm a big Apple fan, but no chance!

I will stick my neck out and say that they are having a giraffe Rolling with laughter

The sony wh-1000xm4 are amazing and a much better purchase IMHO.

Post #21925588th Dec 2020 10:17 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I'll stick with my Sony wh-1000xm3's thanks Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #21925648th Dec 2020 10:41 pm
jjvd21

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

At $549 they better sound so good they make my ears bleed. What a crock!
 16 D4 Landmark
05 D3 HSE V8
THE original D4 spotter 

Post #21925949th Dec 2020 4:28 am
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I don’t wear over-ear headphones so wouldn’t. I did spend £250 on AirPod Pro in-ear headphones after thinking long and and hard but don’t regret that. The way they link and ‘work’ with iPhone tech is added value to me.

As said, if there’s a demand companies will supply, even if it is the ‘kings new clothes’

Post #21926379th Dec 2020 9:37 am
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

A few years ago an audiologist showed me two charts. One was the purported sound profile of an expensive set of headphones, the other was a typical sound profile of a middle aged male. The point was that the patient was not going to be able to hear all of the fancy (costly) sound response. Whilst the typical profile of a female was slightly better overall, they would decline with age anyway.

We spoke of producing a chart of the same type that mapped out the characteristics of some kit into which one might plug the headphones, but realised what the answer was going to be anyway.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #21926409th Dec 2020 9:51 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Having had a lifetime of ear issues, I know what my hearing profile looks like and it certainly isn't going to benefit from expensive headphones. I see they do active noise control which would probably help but it's not going to give the clarity they suggest. For me, anyway.

Now, if Apple etc., made a set of headphones that could be programmed, in the way that my hearing aid is, to boost some frequencies then that would actually be a useful bit of kit.

What's interesting is the rubbish spouted by some headphone suppliers. The even more ridiculously expensive item linked by darrind earlier in the thread, claim to have a frequency range of 5Hz to 40kHz. Why 40kHz? Are they designed to be worn by dogs and bats? Human hearing is commonly stated as about 20Hz - 20kHZ, although for many adults the top end is really 15-17kHz or even less.

I guess it's the current equivalent of the old directional, oxygen-free, hifi cables sold at several hundred pounds a pop.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #21926589th Dec 2020 10:59 am
RogB

United Kingdom 

I remember watching a program a few years back where they interviewed a bloke who was in early 20's. He had massively modified car (worth about £1000) that he had spend several thousand modifying including a sound system 'that would blow the clothes off Kelly Brook' (Italian Job 2003 Laughing )

they tested his hearing and found he was already deaf between certain mid-high frequencies, but his only response was that he would tweak his system so he could hear those frequencies. He point blank refused to/fail to understand that he had made himself deaf for good.
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #21926659th Dec 2020 11:25 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

It's amazing how you get used to the loss, presumably because it's often a deterioration over time, and how you cope with it.

I remember how, before my hearing aid, I would turn my head so my good (relative term) ear would be towards the person speaking to me. Funnily enough, in noisy conditions, I still do it as I guess it became quite an ingrained response.

When I had my most recent operation a few years ago, my "good" ear was bundled up with dressings and it was at that point that I found out how bad my "bad" ear actually was. I was effectively deaf. The consultant tried to talk to me about the operation and I couldn't hear him. As a result, I was given a hearing aid by the NHS. Whilst the dressings were in place, crossing the road where I couldn't see both ways became a scary lottery. Unable to hear approaching vehicles was very unnerving. I was very happy on the day they removed the dressing from my ear so that I could hear again. Even happier when the hearing aid was given to me. It was the audible equivalent of being in a dimly lit room where you can make out some shapes but no idea what they are. Then the light goes on (hearing aid goes in) and suddenly you can see all the furniture clearly.

I still struggle in some noisy environments, a band playing in a pub for example, but it's way better than it had been for much of my 30s and 40s.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #21926699th Dec 2020 11:48 am
HWN

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Now, if Apple etc., made a set of headphones that could be programmed, in the way that my hearing aid is, to boost some frequencies then that would actually be a useful bit of kit.

And if they had a portable battery-powered device with a sensitive microphone, usable interface, lots of computing power and the ability to link to in-ear speakers over some sort of wireless link they might be able to help some people with partial hearing loss. Sounds like a winner to me!

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2006 RRS - C'est mort. Fin...  ...It's alive!  Oh no, it's not - scrapped.
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
2017 RamRod Taskmaster 1150
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #21926719th Dec 2020 11:55 am
Paul J.

United Kingdom 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
I guess it's the current equivalent of the old directional, oxygen-free, hifi cables sold at several hundred pounds a pop.

It still amuses me to see discussions over the best quality HDMI leads to use, when as a carrier of digital signals they either work or they don't. Laughing
 An ex-Disco3 / FFRR owner ......

..... now on the JLR electric highway. 

Post #21926769th Dec 2020 12:40 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

HWN wrote:
RRSTDV8 wrote:

And if they had a portable battery-powered device with a sensitive microphone, usable interface, lots of computing power and the ability to link to in-ear speakers over some sort of wireless link they might be able to help some people with partial hearing loss. Sounds like a winner to me!

Some hearing aids have Bluetooth so it can be done quite easily assuming a suitable app with a user-uploaded hearing profile. And thus it can work without having to change in-ear devices Thumbs Up
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #21926809th Dec 2020 12:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >