Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

April 05 build problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Keith Walshe

April 05 build problems

I will be getting an April build SE in about 4 weeks (Sydney based so some delay). I have a good relationship with the dealers workshop and have been promised a free run in the workshop whilst it is being preped for delivery. Very Happy

This is a great chance to nip in the bud any known build problems.

Can I have a list of build problems encountered in March April May from you Poms who dont have to wait 8 weeks after build for delivery.

Post #30523rd May 2005 8:54 am
BN

England 

Good on ya mate Wink Check out the wiring mainly as mechanicals appear to be quite sound. Parking brake has a mind of its own, suspension is interesting and tow electrics. One or two have reported water ingress recently. Check out with Ecosse who has a better itemised list.

Post #30533rd May 2005 9:09 am
Ecosse

Have a look in the Issues section of the Forum, as Martin has been collating all reported issues. Remember though not all have been encountered by all owners and with some of the design issues it is very much a case of deciding if they are sufficient for you to be put off a purchase in the knowledge of these issues. Ignoring the "bugs" the car is very capable especially off-road.

Post #30543rd May 2005 10:24 am
DiscoMad

I guess the problem is that obvious build problems aside (such as the puddle light in my car not being connected) how long can you spend looking for faults ? Its only when a fault occurs that you can identify it and then get the fix. Some things such as incorrect altitude on sat nav cannot be fixed yet (as far as I know). My advice would be to get the PDI over let the smile develop as you drive the car away Smile

There is one more issue, most problems listed here relate to first build cars (those prior to March/April 2005) and as such we have no information about the contiuance of faults into second build.

I am concerned about reports leaks however. If you have a sunroof get that seal checked ! my prevous Disco's leaked everytime you opened the sunroof and I am hoping that Ford have improved this design

Last edited by DiscoMad on 3rd May 2005 12:50 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #30553rd May 2005 10:46 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Keith,

I've had my D3 for 1.5 weeks now and beside a park break error I haven't had any other error (touch wood).

One thing you may wish to confirm is that the aircon is actually working (i.e. cooling). After picking up the D3 Friday week ago I didn't notice the A/C wasn't cooling until about lunchtime that day when I didn't register to me that it wasn't working properly. I took the D3 back on Saturday and they fix it on the spot - it was a loose pipe and it had lost gas.

I'll be doing a Dealer arranged 4*4 Adventure day this weekend and I'll find out if any other errors crop up (like suspension errors) which tend to from what I 've seen on the Forums after doing some 4WD'ing.

BTW my is a Feb05 build.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #30613rd May 2005 12:24 pm
cmyers_uk

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Only done 700miles but so far no problems, towed with it , waded with it , done mud & ruts and stones all with no problems. Build was Aprl 05. It is such a huge improvement over my previous discovery series ii I really couldnt believe it.

One thing that became very apparent to me chatting to the LR mechanics while they fitted my tow electrics was that there is very little the dealer will be able to do to fix design faults that annoy some people. Example being the fact that when the towing your rear fog lights come on. The LR mechanic, installs the hardware and loads the relevant software if it doesnt do what you want he cant change it. So you are reliant on waiting for LR to perform a product recall. I did have three of these with my D2 and happens on most new cars.

So in summary, I would look at the list of faults that havnt been fixed e.g diesel heater / fog lamps and if you cant live with the faults for a while buy another car. If not I think you will have few problems that arent quickly fixed.

If you get the phone kit you need to make sure that both the phone model and the software of the phone is correct, do this and everything is great.

Hope all goes well

Post #30853rd May 2005 4:39 pm
BN

England 

cmyers, re the fog lights, it should be born in mind that if you tow a trailer or caravan in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and a few more EU countries, the fogs must extinguish otherwise a hefty fine. It may not only be in bad weather either. They look at it in a similar way to the legal carrying of a First Aid kit, triangles etc.

Post #30863rd May 2005 4:47 pm
cmyers_uk

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Totally agree with you, it is a fault that should be resolved.

My point is that the dealer cant help with that, he loads the software that controls it or in my case 2 1/2hrs later and three reloads before it worked.

So if this is a big concern you will have to use the BN tape method or buy a different car. I believe you said the German LR3 works correctly so hopefully the fix shouldnt be to long in coming they certainly fixed the suspension height issue.

Post #30873rd May 2005 5:01 pm
D barnes

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

BN, re the Fog Lights, does this mean when I go touring Holland, Germany, Belgium with the Caravan I could end up with some hefty fines, by not complying with the Fog Light cut-out. OR As we are part of the European Union does this mean that when our German friends visit the Uk their fog lights should remain ON. Smile Rolling Eyes

DB
 DB
TDV6 XS SANTORINI
Sterling Elite Searcher
FIAT 500S
Freelander2 HSE Lux 

Post #30883rd May 2005 5:06 pm
BN

England 

Absolutely, the German market has the wiring, so why not the rest of the world, seems daft to me. Confused

Post #30893rd May 2005 5:07 pm
D barnes

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

BN, is it the car wiring that is different, or the way the towbar electrics are wired into the car. ? Confused

DB
 DB
TDV6 XS SANTORINI
Sterling Elite Searcher
FIAT 500S
Freelander2 HSE Lux 

Post #30923rd May 2005 5:19 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Mine was in the March/April build (TDV6 S), picked it up on Saturday - no problems yet.
Only done 300 miles so far but manged to find a nice deep ford to wade through on the way back from Gaydon with no leaks.
Haven't had the chance to try anything challenging yet apart from demonstrating all the gadgets to the guys at work today!

Simon

Post #30943rd May 2005 5:58 pm
BN

England 

D barnes wrote:
BN, re the Fog Lights, does this mean when I go touring Holland, Germany, Belgium with the Caravan I could end up with some hefty fines, by not complying with the Fog Light cut-out. OR As we are part of the European Union does this mean that when our German friends visit the Uk their fog lights should remain ON. Smile Rolling Eyes

DB

In the UK there is no law re cutting out the fog lights when towing, other than say if you have a crash and you blame the lights for blinding you from the reflection in the trailer, it could be an offence, hence my masking tape answer.

Uk have a few 'wonky' laws, even with the new Working Time Directive and Road Transport Directive, where truck drivers have less hours than their EU counterparts. Simply means we will get more foreign trucks on our already busy roads. The UK laws do not always match the EU for some reason best known to the government.

Post #30973rd May 2005 6:22 pm
BN

England 

D barnes wrote:
BN, is it the car wiring that is different, or the way the towbar electrics are wired into the car. ? Confused

DB

I believe it is the towing harness that is different basically, but LR cannot tell me Shocked

Post #30993rd May 2005 6:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >